Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 29,479 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Looking to buy a townhouse either in MoCo or PG, and I am hoping to be able to get some recommendations. Right now thinking Gaithersburg/Germantown but have not 100% decided. I am hoping that based on the "facts"/"criteria" below you will be able to assist
  1. 3 bdr - 2 baths (preferably 2.5 baths) townhouse at max $250k
  2. Diverse city/area/neighborhood
  3. Good schools (not necessarily looking for the top ranking schools in the nation or area, but still some good schools)
  4. No more than 30 miles from 20782 zip code/Hyattsville, while still allowing decent commute to D.C. (whether by car or public transportation)
  5. Some place you do not need to drive 15-20 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store
  6. And of course safety is a primary concern

I am very aware our budget is not the highest, but I believe that for a townhouse it is pretty doable.

Please let me know if there is any place/city/neighborhood that fits the bill, and please do not hesitate to ask me any questions/let me know if there are other factors I should be keeping in mind. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:49 PM

662 posts, read 779,557 times
There are 250k townhomes in MoCo? You're not going to get great or even good schools at that price unfortunately in MD.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadisDivin View Post
Hello all,

Looking to buy a townhouse either in MoCo or PG, and I am hoping to be able to get some recommendations. Right now thinking Gaithersburg/Germantown but have not 100% decided. I am hoping that based on the "facts"/"criteria" below you will be able to assist
  3. Good schools (not necessarily looking for the top ranking schools in the nation or area, but still some good schools)
  4. No more than 30 miles from 20782 zip code/Hyattsville, while still allowing decent commute to D.C. (whether by car or public transportation)
  5. Some place you do not need to drive 15-20 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store

I am very aware our budget is not the highest, but I believe that for a townhouse it is pretty doable.

Please let me know if there is any place/city/neighborhood that fits the bill, and please do not hesitate to ask me any questions/let me know if there are other factors I should be keeping in mind. Thanks!
Try the search box up top ,there have been a couple dozen threads about this ,one might help you.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM

45 posts, read 52,220 times
Quote:
Hello all,

You've just described Bowie pretty well.

SFHs get into the 300's, but townhouses are in the mid-200s. You may still find a SFH at that price, but they're creeping up.

Diverse city, mix of people.

Schools aren't top tier, but aren't bottom of the barrel either. Greatschools.org rates Elementary schools from 4-9, the two middle schools are 5 and 6, and the high school is a 5.

It's 30 miles to DC, so less distance to Hyattsville. For DC commuting, there is a both the New Carrollton station (Metro) and the MARC train from Bowie State.

Lots of local shopping (Safeway, Aldi, Giant, Harris Teeter all within 2 miles of us, 15 min drives to both Wegmans in Waugh Chapel or Trader Joes/Whole Foods in Annapolis) Plenty of amenities nearby.

Crime is very low.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
There are 250k townhomes in MoCo? You're not going to get great or even good schools at that price unfortunately in MD.
Hello,

Thank you for your input. Yes, I have seen $250k townhomes in MoCo, unless Gaithersburg & Germantown are not part of MoCo?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Try the search box up top ,there have been a couple dozen threads about this ,one might help you.
There have been a couple of dozen threads about what exactly, can you please clarify?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofbelair View Post
You've just described Bowie pretty well.

SFHs get into the 300's, but townhouses are in the mid-200s. You may still find a SFH at that price, but they're creeping up.

Diverse city, mix of people.

Schools aren't top tier, but aren't bottom of the barrel either. Greatschools.org rates Elementary schools from 4-9, the two middle schools are 5 and 6, and the high school is a 5.

It's 30 miles to DC, so less distance to Hyattsville. For DC commuting, there is a both the New Carrollton station (Metro) and the MARC train from Bowie State.

Lots of local shopping (Safeway, Aldi, Giant, Harris Teeter all within 2 miles of us, 15 min drives to both Wegmans in Waugh Chapel or Trader Joes/Whole Foods in Annapolis) Plenty of amenities nearby.

Crime is very low.
Thanks a lot for your very detailed input, I really appreciate It! As far as PG county was concerned, Bowie was at the top of our list. I am not 100% in love with it, but I probably need to drive around the area a bit more. Will keep it on our list of options. Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
There have been a couple of dozen threads about what exactly, can you please clarify?
About the subject of your thread,try it.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:58 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,747,934 times
Greenbelt would also be a great fit. It is close to Hyattsville, DC, and mass transit. The schools are pretty good and it is pretty diverse while still being pretty affordable. I like Gaithersburg/Germantown but I-270 sucks and there is just too much traffic in that corridor. Also the Red Line is the oldest Metro line and has the most problems because of it. The Green line is much better for getting downtown DC IMO.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:03 AM

323 posts, read 220,645 times
Well...PG is obviously cheaper, but not as many quakity things around and not great schools, unless you go private. Mont Co is obviously more expensive ad more to do,...but if you live around Beltsville, you can easily get to silver spring in minutes ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland