U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 PM

5,588 posts, read 6,370,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Silver Spring has been named one of 11 destinations within the United States where visitors can experience an international culture without leaving the country.
I'm not sure I agree with this article. I mean yes, Silver Spring has culture. But I don't feel like I'm in another international destination. I mean seriously. Downtown Silver Spring, the part mostly everyone goes to, is filled with chains. Whole Foods, Starbucks, Dave & Busters, Chik-Fil-A, and a few American bars and restaurants, etc. The rest is non-american culture and that's fine. But when I travel to Silver Spring, East Africa doesn't come to mind.

But where I think the Expedia article fails and where the Source of the Spring author fails is that they don't mention Langley Park which is 10 minutes away and a place where you need to understand some Spanish in most of the shops and restaurants. Where my wife and I like to call "Little South America."

For Langley Park to be right next to Silver Spring, I found it odd that it wasn't mentioned. Perhaps it was because Langley Park is a little too real? Perhaps it is because it is not as pretty as Silver Spring.

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/ge...ional-culture/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM

15,665 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Lower Montgomery County in general has a significant amount of international culture.

People from all over the world live in the area.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Lower Montgomery County in general has a significant amount of international culture.

People from all over the world live in the area.
THis is true. But I just don't get the Ethiopian vibe in Downtown Silver Spring the Expedia article refers to. THe Expedia article was relating to feel and experience rather than statistical numbers. Yes, Silver Spring is diverse, but the article compared neighborhoods to the countries they most resemble. Very subjective which opens itself up to criticism.

The Expedia article matched Silver Spring with Ethiopia. All I was saying was that I never got that feeling when visiting Downtown Silver Spring. Langley/Takoma Park has a more authentic feel of South America to me than Silver Spring does with Ethiopia. At a few restaurants we've eaten in along Univeristy Boulevard, the wait staff litterally did not speak English and the menus were in Spanish. It actually felt like we were in another country. We see Papusa trucks and people selling fruit from pickup trucks in Langley Park. To me that's the real experience.

I just found it odd that Silver Spring got the spotlight in that regard.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
THis is true. But I just don't get the Ethiopian vibe in Downtown Silver Spring the Expedia article refers to.
...seriously? You should try walking down any street in downtown Silver Spring not named "Ellsworth."

Edit: Taste the World in Fenton Village is coming up on May 20, 2018 1-5pm. It's a fun time and it'd include about two dozen Ethiopian restaurants, markets, and coffee houses - among other cuisines, of course (some of which are Ethiopian-run, too, like Fenton Cafe which has the best crepes around) if you wanted to check DTSS out.

Last edited by bufflove; 04-25-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,025,694 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this article. I mean yes, Silver Spring has culture. But I don't feel like I'm in another international destination. I mean seriously. Downtown Silver Spring, the part mostly everyone goes to, is filled with chains. Whole Foods, Starbucks, Dave & Busters, Chik-Fil-A, and a few American bars and restaurants, etc. The rest is non-american culture and that's fine. But when I travel to Silver Spring, East Africa doesn't come to mind.

But where I think the Expedia article fails and where the Source of the Spring author fails is that they don't mention Langley Park which is 10 minutes away and a place where you need to understand some Spanish in most of the shops and restaurants. Where my wife and I like to call "Little South America."

For Langley Park to be right next to Silver Spring, I found it odd that it wasn't mentioned. Perhaps it was because Langley Park is a little too real? Perhaps it is because it is not as pretty as Silver Spring.

I agree with you on Langley Park. That area has been, Jamaican, Asian and now heavily Latino. You can get the authentic food, music, clothing, even furniture stores, lol. I think because it's so raw and authentic, that it scares folks who might want there 'culture' on the tame side. Silver Spring 'USED' to be very ethnic, with stores, restaurants etc everywhere representative of the residents there. Now, it's got Starbucks and Chipotle and all those 'chain' stores that don't make it authentic at all, just sanitized, like everywhere else is becoming. Your answer was on point.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...seriously? You should try walking down any street in downtown Silver Spring not named "Ellsworth."

Edit: Taste the World in Fenton Village is coming up on May 20, 2018 1-5pm. It's a fun time and it'd include about two dozen Ethiopian restaurants, markets, and coffee houses - among other cuisines, of course (some of which are Ethiopian-run, too, like Fenton Cafe which has the best crepes around) if you wanted to check DTSS out.
Seriously. I visit Silver Spring all the time. I'm not questioning the diversity of Silver Spring or the fact that it has an Ethiopian community. But to say the city is representative of Ethiopia or that it makes you feel as though you are in Ethiopia is a stretch by the author of the article. Did you read the article?

My point was, Langley Park, where a second language is almost necessary to communicate with shop owners., strikes me as more representative of a foreign country than Silver Spring.

To recap.

Silver Spring IS diverse.
Silver SPring DOES have an Ethipian community.
Do I get an Ethiopian feel when I go to Downtown Silver SPring? No. Perhaps it is because it has changed so much with all the new development. Perhaps the culture has been diluted a bit.

In comparison to Langley Park, I do feel like I'm in another country when I visit Langley Park. And I gave examples where in three different restaurants, our servers did not speak English. That's more of an international experience for me than DTSS. Also, Langley Park is untouched by development and gentrification. So, more of the culture is intact.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 AM

517 posts, read 388,630 times
Quote:
THis is true. But I just don't get the Ethiopian vibe in Downtown Silver Spring the Expedia article refers to. THe Expedia article was relating to feel and experience rather than statistical numbers. Yes, Silver Spring is diverse, but the article compared neighborhoods to the countries they most resemble. Very subjective which opens itself up to criticism.

The Expedia article matched Silver Spring with Ethiopia. All I was saying was that I never got that feeling when visiting Downtown Silver Spring. Langley/Takoma Park has a more authentic feel of South America to me than Silver Spring does with Ethiopia. At a few restaurants we've eaten in along Univeristy Boulevard, the wait staff litterally did not speak English and the menus were in Spanish. It actually felt like we were in another country. We see Papusa trucks and people selling fruit from pickup trucks in Langley Park. To me that's the real experience.

I just found it odd that Silver Spring got the spotlight in that regard.
Yeah but it's mainly just Central & South American culture in LP in terms of businesses. There's more variety in SS.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:21 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:

Probably because it's not all that walkable and has no actual downtown.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM

1,563 posts, read 942,064 times
langley park still has the indian restaurants and suroamerica chicken joints. They been there forever and lots of different ppl all over silver spring.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM

517 posts, read 388,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
langley park still has the indian restaurants and suroamerica chicken joints. They been there forever and lots of different ppl all over silver spring.
Most of the Indian restaurants have moved to Gaitherburg. There are about a handful that haven't moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or