Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times

Advertisements

More than likely I’m keeping my car because I literally just bought it. I know public transportation is better in the DC area than Richmond. Is it good enough to go without a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 PM

340 posts, read 377,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
More than likely I’m keeping my car because I literally just bought it. I know public transportation is better in the DC area than Richmond. Is it good enough to go without a car?
I think that largely depends on where you choose to live...I know several people who live in the area without cars very easily, but they prioritize staying in housing/apartments very close to the metro, with jobs also very close to metro, and walking distance to essential retail...so if we are in PG county, I feel like apartments near PG Plaza offer this very easily, I lived in the Mosiac apartments there for years with a car that never moved bc I didn't need it.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
It would depend on where you live as far as work.

But:
Want to go to the ocean? No trains or buses there. Maybe go to Annapolis for crabs? Same thing. Just go out to the country to a state park? See above. Gambling at Maryland Live!? Your church probably runs excursions there.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM

340 posts, read 377,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It would depend on where you live as far as work.

But:
Want to go to the ocean? No trains or buses there. Maybe go to Annapolis for crabs? Same thing. Just go out to the country to a state park? See above. Gambling at Maryland Live!? Your church probably runs excursions there.
I think you can summarize this as anywhere in America, there is some place you can't get to without a car. It's a general convenience at some point to own a car. If you accept that you live in DC now and whatever thing you are looking to do generally can be accomplished in this city within the WMATA boundary...you MIGHT need to take an uber from time to time..if you are going places in the city, it'll be 10x easier than finding and cheaper than paying for parking...otherwise want a state park to hike go to Great Falls or Rock Creek, want to sit by the water go to the harbor, want to gamble go to MGM.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Extremely easy in some parts of the metro area. Effectively impossible in other parts.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
...in Montgomery County?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:23 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
...in Montgomery County?
Montgomery County is home to over a million people who range from living in a 300' tall North Bethesda apartment building to living on a 300 acre farm in the agricultural reserve. 92% of county households have cars as the vast majority of the county is suburban or exurban.

The few urbanized parts of the county, however, are more commonly car-free, e.g. 32% of downtown Silver Spring households don't have a car. Ditto for 26% of downtown Bethesda households. Downtown Rockville, Wheaton, Twinbrook, and North Bethesda are also doable w/o a car, though would be a bit tougher as they're further away from DC, have fewer bus lines, and aren't quite as large/amenity-rich as downtown Bethesda, Silver Spring, or DC proper.

Ultimately, if your day-to-day (work, dining, entertainment, grocer, etc.) is within walking/biking distance or easily accessible via mass transit, going car-free is easy. You'll just need a smartrip card (metro and buses), Uber/Lyft on your phone, and probably a Zipcar membership if you want to periodically explore other parts of MD.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 AM

323 posts, read 222,155 times
Yes absolutely you need car. Why is that even a question

Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post

Ultimately, if your day-to-day (work, dining, entertainment, grocer, etc.) is within walking/biking distance or easily accessible via mass transit, going car-free is easy. You'll just need a smartrip card (metro and buses), Uber/Lyft on your phone, and probably a Zipcar membership if you want to periodically explore other parts of MD.
This is why it's a question. Some people in the area are able to do fine without a car. It just depends on how close they live to amenities.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
...in Montgomery County?
We went 4 months without a car when we lived in Gaithersburg. We were fine except that the job was in a location that required a car. If we worked where we didn't need a car, it could be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland