Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:14 PM

30 posts, read 33,526 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice/suggestions on living in Calvert or Anne Arundel County with my job being in Camp Springs, MD. My job will be right across from the Branch Avenue Metro Station in Camp Springs, MD.

Where would you recommend living in MD and why? We are considering Calvert or AA county. What are the pros and cons of living out there?

Many of the homes in North Calvert seem much more affordable...is there a catch? Seems the biggest downside is lack of close amenities (have to drive to Annapolis).

Thanks and I'm open to all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 07:36 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Most of southern Anne Arundel County such as around Davidsonville is zoned for very rural density, including horse farms. There are small, developed waterfront communities around Deale, Churchton, and Shady Side. And trailer parks around Waysons Corner. The nearest department stores, drugstores, or groceries to there, I believe are located some miles away in either Edgewater, Dunkirk, or Upper Marlboro, Md.

I get the impression that Northern Calvert County such as Dunkirk, has many mega-mansions scattered out over a large area. Dunkirk also has a WalMart. There are also the adjacent larger towns of Chesapeake Beach and North Beach, with more average housing. The Calvert County school system is top-rated.

There's a regular poster on this forum called "North Beach Person" who can advise you very well on this. He's a retired teacher.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Most of southern Anne Arundel County such as around Davidsonville is zoned for very rural density, including horse farms. There are small, developed waterfront communities around Deale, Churchton, and Shady Side. And trailer parks around Waysons Corner. The nearest department stores, drugstores, or groceries to there, I believe are located some miles away in either Edgewater, Dunkirk, or Upper Marlboro, Md.

I get the impression that Northern Calvert County such as Dunkirk, has many mega-mansions scattered out over a large area. Dunkirk also has a WalMart. There are also the adjacent larger towns of Chesapeake Beach and North Beach, with more average housing. The Calvert County school system is top-rated.

There's a regular poster on this forum called "North Beach Person" who can advise you very well on this. He's a retired teacher.
Thanks so much slow lane! Any drawbacks to the area that you'd suggest being aware of?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:15 AM

21 posts, read 20,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCommuter View Post
Thanks so much slow lane! Any drawbacks to the area that you'd suggest being aware of?
I know I'm not slowlane or north beach person, but being from the area I'd be happy to give you my two cents. When you say drawbacks, are you referring to Anne Arundel or Calvert Counties or both?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet654 View Post
I know I'm not slowlane or north beach person, but being from the area I'd be happy to give you my two cents. When you say drawbacks, are you referring to Anne Arundel or Calvert Counties or both?
Referring to both. But I'm more concerned with Northern Calvert County...Chesapeake Beach, North Beach, Dunkirk, and Huntingtown areas.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Referring to both. But I'm more concerned with Northern Calvert County...Chesapeake Beach, North Beach, Dunkirk, and Huntingtown areas.

Thanks!
Define drawbacks.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Define drawbacks.
Textbook definition should suffice on this one. Something that makes the area less desirable than others.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Textbook definition should suffice on this one. Something that makes the area less desirable than others.
Doesn't help.

You may find the lack of a Home Depot a drawback (that happens to be the current Whine Du Jour for the rural pioneers) but normal people have no problem not having one.

You may want a Trader Joe's or Aldi's but neither one will come here, nor will Home Depot, because the demographics aren't what they want.

If you live near the Bay or Patuxent you may be offended by the watermen legally doing their thing.

Or you may get upset, like one rural pioneer did recently, when the owner of the woodlot next to her cut some trees down at the State Forester's recommendation.

Or you could be like some of my neighbors who live 2 ft. above Mean Low Water and can't figure out why they flood when we have a 4 ft. above normal high tide.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Doesn't help.

You may find the lack of a Home Depot a drawback (that happens to be the current Whine Du Jour for the rural pioneers) but normal people have no problem not having one.

You may want a Trader Joe's or Aldi's but neither one will come here, nor will Home Depot, because the demographics aren't what they want.

If you live near the Bay or Patuxent you may be offended by the watermen legally doing their thing.

Or you may get upset, like one rural pioneer did recently, when the owner of the woodlot next to her cut some trees down at the State Forester's recommendation.

Or you could be like some of my neighbors who live 2 ft. above Mean Low Water and can't figure out why they flood when we have a 4 ft. above normal high tide.
Any idea how restrictive the HOAs are...in particular the one in The Highlands?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Any idea how restrictive the HOAs are...in particular the one in The Highlands?
I know several, well dozens, of people who live there and not one has ever complained. The thing you have to watch there is part of it is within Chesapeake Beach and part of it is in the unincorporated part of Calvert County. Your property taxes will be a bit higher in the Chesapeake Beach part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland