Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 06:51 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrogers View Post
There is a new townhome development being built in Suitland, MD. Directly across from the Census building. I believe Ryan Homes is the builder.

I wouldn't call it the "least safe DC suburb". However, I will say that it lacks quality grocers and malls if that is something you're interested in. There's a newish shopping center about 2 miles down the road which includes a Giant Foods, Panda Express, Jerry's Subs, Chick fil a, and plenty of eateries like that.

I don't live too far from that area, but in all honestly I ended up doing my shopping either over the bridge in VA or in the Bowie, MD areas.

There's also Clinton, MD that is close and 2 close metro stations, both on the green line.

I'd recommend that you stay away from purchasing near apartment complexes.

I looked at a new infill townhome development when I first moved to this area. One wasn't too far from Iverson Mall the other was at the Branch Ave Metro. The one near Iverson...had a 1960/1970 is garden apartment behind it and the balconies overlooked the rear yards of the new town homes. As I was touring the model home.. many of the residents were on their balconies and could see straight down into your back yard. I didn't purchase because out of concerns with privacy. I went back a few years later.. and many of the homes had security gates, beware of dog, cameras etc.. So I don't know if it had anything to do with the apartment complex or the general area which was challenged but also just across from the DC Line so I would have thought it would be on the upswing eventually.

The complex at Branch Ave Metro many may be familiar with.. was a mixed use/income town center type of development. The realtors were very bullish on it.. but it seems that it hasn't become the retail center that was envisioned from what I have read.. though I haven't been back down there to see for myself.. Others may have more up to date info on it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 14,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The complex at Branch Ave Metro many may be familiar with.. was a mixed use/income town center type of development. The realtors were very bullish on it.. but it seems that it hasn't become the retail center that was envisioned from what I have read.. though I haven't been back down there to see for myself.. Others may have more up to date info on it...
They've got a few retail shops in there now, and Restaurant Row Apollo is being built as we speak. It sounds like they already have a few restaurants committed to it, and not the usual Chik Fil A/Five Guys/Chipotle we get around here. That area looks promising. I've driven through there a few times over the past month or two and the streets were clean and well-maintained, and there were people walking and jogging on the sidewalks even after sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPeach22
That is a good point. I'm still not too familiar with Suitland - all I knew was that the Census Bureau was across the street and Redevelop Prince Georges had promised some pretty big developments down there. I wish I had bought there when they first started selling even if I wasn't planning to live down there. Yea you are right about USCIS and the development over there, that is going to be amazing as well. Alot is happening in that area. Are you in that area? Im in Laurel, MD right now hoping that they will get some new energy over here outside of College Park
Just drove by today and looks like the Suitland Towne Center development is sold out. We'll have to see if retail follows. I did just buy about 5 minutes from there, near Morningside, so I'm trying to be optimistic. Surprised Laurel isn't seeing more development, being halfway between DC and Baltimore.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:13 AM

If this is true, this is a welcome development. Restaurant Row Apollo by the Branch Avenue Metro looks set to open in the next month: https://www.gregsviewpoint.com/post/...avenue-metro-2

Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM

12 posts, read 11,821 times
Well they are definitely making progress. Look forward to seeing what the future holds in this area from Suitland to Branch Avenue

Old 12-05-2020, 09:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPeach22 View Post
Well they are definitely making progress. Look forward to seeing what the future holds in this area from Suitland to Branch Avenue
Milk and Honey Cafe is a huge win. It is a very successful southern cuisine brunch spot.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:15 PM

12 posts, read 11,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Milk and Honey Cafe is a huge win. It is a very successful southern cuisine brunch spot.
Love Milk and Honey! I completely agree. Post Covid is gonna be real!

Old 12-07-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPeach22 View Post
Love Milk and Honey! I completely agree. Post Covid is gonna be real!

Agreed, but I say we support as much as we can during COVID, too. Getting takeout is a great way to make sure our favorite places stay in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland