Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM

55 posts, read 379,728 times

Advertisements

I've recently begun working in Silver Spring and fortunately my place of employment is a very short walk to the SS Metro and MARC station.

I've got some time to consider a permanent residence and was wondering about the towns/cities in Maryland that are on the MARC line heading north from Silver Spring (Kensington, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, etc). I'm interested in places with good school districts and more affordable housing than one finds in places like Bethesda.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM

941 posts, read 3,894,388 times
I'd start in Point of Rocks (Frederick County) and work upwards the Brunswick line for affordable homes and good schools.

Take note since they are more affordable, they lean towards rural rather than urban.

Another possibility is Dickerson & Barnesville in Montgomery County. They are very small towns, but I don't know what's the going rate or its school district.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,707,483 times
Germantown, Gaithersburg, or Rockville. All trains stop at those stations and they're all top 100 CNN Money communities.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

941 posts, read 3,894,388 times
He wants affordable; they are still higher post boom-bust.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 PM

55 posts, read 379,728 times
Default So of those three...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Germantown, Gaithersburg, or Rockville. All trains stop at those stations and they're all top 100 CNN Money communities.
I heard that Rockville is pretty "built up" and expensive in parts, Germantown has both good and bad areas, but Gaithersburg is to be avoided. As for the latter, not sure why... ??

Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,707,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSpelvin View Post
I heard that Rockville is pretty "built up" and expensive in parts, Germantown has both good and bad areas, but Gaithersburg is to be avoided. As for the latter, not sure why... ??
All three are expensive, but Rockville the most so. Yeah, Rockville is an actual "city" with a true downtown, high rise office buildings, condos, and the like. The majority of areas of Germantown are good. I wouldn't say to avoid Gaithersburg, because some areas are really nice, such as the Kentlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland