U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 30,488 times

Advertisements

I am mid-20’s and looking to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom condo in the Germantown – Gaithersburg – Rockville area. I work near American U off the red line, and currently live in Gaithersburg and drive… the commute isn’t bad considering my hours. Obviously the closer to DC the better, but this is why I’d consider somewhere like Germantown to get a nicer place for less $$.

I am looking for a newer condo complex… places like King Farm jump out, but they seem overpriced. I’ve also considered the Ashmore at Germantown, which is new and very nice…the downside is that it’s far away. Are there any other condo communities you would recommend? What are the pros and cons of buying and living in any of these areas? Ideally I want to spend around 250k. Any advice and tips you can give a first time home buyer would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM

195 posts, read 656,469 times
Now is a great time for a first time homebuyer! Prices are great and Sellers are ready to sell. Sellers are more willing to give closing help and you have the opportunity to do home inspections (in the past couple of years people were waiving inspections just to get the home!).

It's great to get ideas from people on the board who know the area but I would also contact a Realtor who knows the Montgomery County area who will be able to guide you through the first time homebuying process. If you plan on having a mortgage I would definitely contact a lender. Lenders have really tightened the restrictions so it's a good idea to find out how much you qualify for and what you'll actually be paying each month - before you jump head first into purchasing. If you've already done those things, then great!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 AM

7 posts, read 30,488 times
Thanks for the reply! I do have a realtor and a lender, and am pre-approved.

Is it worthwhile to go to more than one lender, or is there a way to ensure I'm getting the best mortgage? I'm also wondering if there are any MoCo first time buyer programs that would be better?

Thanks!!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 AM

195 posts, read 656,469 times
I would say it does not hurt to get a second opinion. Just be careful if someone is offering you very very low rates - there are probably hidden points or they won't get you to the settlement table. I'm sure you're in good hands with your Realtor and he or she will make this process very smooth and easy for you.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
You probably already know about the Kentlands in Gaithersburg. Just down Grat Seneca hwy (towards Muddy Branch) there is another group of Condos that you might look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland