Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
Thread Necro.

I wouldn't recommend PG to anyone. It's better than living in inner city Baltimore or SE DC, but if you want a decent environment to raise your kids, a place where you can walk around outside in the evening and not have to worry about being robbed at gunpoint, and a place that isn't inundated with ignorant thug culture, then I would highly suggest you to move elsewhere. The further you get away from the beltway, then the better things get in terms of cleanliness, crime, and overall community. Just as many of the black families were moving out of SE DC and heading to PG to get away from the ignorance and crime, now many black families are moving out of PG to get away from those very same things, so what does that tell you about PG? If you don't like being around large amounts of riff-raff, then you'd be well served to avoid this area like the plague. The sad part is that there are some good families there (mostly from the military/government, long-term residents who moved there decades ago when things were different, or out-of-staters) and that place has so much potential, but until the nonsense is reduced to more managable levels and the prevailing culture changes to something that isn't demeaning and self-destructive, it is going have a horrible (and well-deserved) reputation. I hate to slag off on any community and I apologize if I have offended anyone, but having lived there for a few years and seen what it's like with my own eyes, there is no way that I can recommend the area to anyone unless they are coming from a much worse inner-city environment where there is greater ignorance and crime. Unfortunately, PG wears her reputation well.

Dogg you talkin about a whole county with over 800,000 people. And your location say California. HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM

61 posts, read 133,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Dogg you talkin about a whole county with over 800,000 people. And your location say California. HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW?
Well, I know how to form a proper english sentence for one thing, "dogg". I lived in PG for YEARS and even went to highschool there, so I know enough about the place to give an informed opinion. Plus I have many old friends and some family members who are still in the area. It is no coincidence that when I talk to old friends who live in Capitol Heights, Seat Pleasant, Clinton, Largo, Forestville, Brandywine, Oxon Hill and Bowie that they ALL say, "nothing is going on here but the same old sh*t - same old people doing the same old sh*t on the corner just like when you lived out here. Nothin's changed, dogg". When I lived there, many families, including BLACK families, were talking about how they needed to move out of PG because it had gotten so bad. Now we see an exodus toward Charles County. Obviously, I'm not the only person who sees what is going on there. You're right, it's a big county, but even the nicer parts have become suspect nowadays as many have alluded to on this forum. Your county has a reputation, and it IS well-earned whether you like it or not, "dogg".

Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
And your location say California.
You don't start a sentence with "And", and the proper use of the word "say" in this case would be "says". One of the reasons why I was so happy that I left your god forsaken county after highschool is that I was no longer forced to live with people who weren't even smart enough to form a basic sentence. it is very telling that in your attempt to make me look like a fool you ended up making yourself look even MORE like a fool in the process. A little advice, you may want to actually take the time to read people's profiles before you make blind assumptions about them. If you had done so, then you would've seen that I've lived not only in California, but in Arizona, Montana, Washington State, California, Utah, Maryland, and Virginia, and you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment. I see that PG really hasn't changed .

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

195 posts, read 473,586 times
Quote:
You don't start a sentence with "And", and the proper use of the word "say" in this case would be "says". One of the reasons why I was so happy that I left your god forsaken county after highschool is that I was no longer forced to live with people who weren't even smart enough to form a basic sentence. it is very telling that in your attempt to make me look like a fool you ended up making yourself look even MORE like a fool in the process. A little advice, you may want to actually take the time to read people's profiles before you make blind assumptions about them. If you had done so, then you would've seen that I've lived not only in California, but in Arizona, Montana, Washington State, California, Utah, Maryland, and Virginia, and you wouldn't have made such an ignorant comment. I see that PG really hasn't changed .
So, you haven't lived in Prince George's in how long? I've been in the city of Hyattsville for over a decade now and the county you describe is lightyears different from my experience. There are problems in Prince George's, yes; but you can find problems in every jurisdiction. The fact is that Prince George's is a very large county that varies significantly from locality to locality. There are very rural portions and there are very urbanized portions; and there are a lot of places that are great places to make a home.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
So, you haven't lived in Prince George's in how long? I've been in the city of Hyattsville for over a decade now and the county you describe is lightyears different from my experience. There are problems in Prince George's, yes; but you can find problems in every jurisdiction. The fact is that Prince George's is a very large county that varies significantly from locality to locality. There are very rural portions and there are very urbanized portions; and there are a lot of places that are great places to make a home.

It's been about 6 years. I have friends who were born and raised there and lived there their whole lives, and I talk to them on a weekly basis, so I am aware of what's going on there now (like when they built the gamestop in Clinton, for instance). I have a really old uncle who has been living there for 50+ years, as well. I respect your opinion, and you have most likely found a good pocket that works for you. I'm still going to go with personal experience along with the opinions of 30 other people who are originally from there and lived there for multiple decades. Every place has its problems indeed, and I am aware of the very rural places and the nice houses that often are found in those rural places. However, the majority that I have met and talked to are saying basically the same thing, and we are talking multiple localities within the county including the nicer areas like Bowie, so there is definitely something to it. We all have different tastes and preferences, and I respect the fact that for some people, PG county is the perfect place to be because it meets all of their requirements as an idea place to live. However, I can't ignore the obvious and I'll stick by that. There is a reason why there is so much flight to Charles County, and there is a reason why people aren't exactly knocking down the door to move PG county, and I'll leave it at that. The average person can do MUCH better than PG County, and do so for at or near the same price.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM

You know what? Screw it! Everybody has their own opinion of any given area and I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. Two people can move to the same exact area and have totally opposing opinions of it. It's best to just let people visit for themselves and form their own opinion of the area. I personally wouldn't recommend it because it's not my cup of tea and I feel that there are much better areas to move to with comparable pricing and less backwardness to put up with, but I don't want to dissuade anyone else from moving there because it may be right up their alley. There are nice rural areas in PG, but you'd better have a lot of money if you want to live in them (which you most likely will if you are employed by the government). In the end, PG County is what it is, and if you like it, then more power to you, and if you don't, then you can leave like I did .

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
Well, I know how to form a proper english sentence for one thing, "dogg". I lived in PG for YEARS and even went to highschool there, so I know enough about the place to give an informed opinion. Plus I have many old friends and some family members who are still in the area. It is no coincidence that when I talk to old friends who live in Capitol Heights, Seat Pleasant, Clinton, Largo, Forestville, Brandywine, Oxon Hill and Bowie that they ALL say, "nothing is going on here but the same old sh*t - same old people doing the same old sh*t on the corner just like when you lived out here. Nothin's changed, dogg". When I lived there, many families, including BLACK families, were talking about how they needed to move out of PG because it had gotten so bad. Now we see an exodus toward Charles County. Obviously, I'm not the only person who sees what is going on there. You're right, it's a big county, but even the nicer parts have become suspect nowadays as many have alluded to on this forum. Your county has a reputation, and it IS well-earned whether you like it or not, "dogg".

FIRST OFF anyone attacking grammatical errors in an informal opinion site tells who YOU really are. Maybe your friends are the ones not doing sh*t though. I dont see an exodus towards Charles County? I dont do surveys of black families to see how many of them were thinking of moving. What facts do you have to say the nice parts are getting more and more suspect. I dont care about a reputation because I'm out here I know what is and isnt. You sir are not from here and claim facts based on what comes out the side of your neck.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
A little advice? Why TF would I want to read your profile? You dont sound like a female and you put your location up there yourself. If you want people to know where you've been then put it up there for ppl to see. You expect folks to research your life story, I see why you didn't mess with PG county. But to say people should form their own opinion first and leave if they dont like it is ALL you had to say.

Last edited by boreatwork; 10-19-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
FIRST OFF anyone attacking grammatical errors in an informal opinion site tells who YOU really are. Maybe your friends are the ones not doing sh*t though. I dont see an exodus towards Charles County? I dont do surveys of black families to see how many of them were thinking of moving. What facts do you have to say the nice parts are getting more and more suspect. I dont care about a reputation because I'm out here I know what is and isnt. You sir are not from here and claim facts based on what comes out the side of your neck.
If it were a little error here and there, then it is easily overlooked. However, when the entire post comes out like a pre-schooler wrote it and it is supposedly from an adult, then that is very telling. My friends gave up doing sh*t because people there started attacking them and accusing them of selling out just because they wanted something better and they wanted to see PG be a much nicer place. One of them was actually robbed at gunpoint while doing a community project, and another was beaten pretty badly while doing another community project that was sponsored by Kiss FM. I personally have gotten out and volunteered at soup kitchens, food drives, and trash pickups, as well fixing up old houses so that families in the streets can have a place to rest their heads. Do you volunteer your time to physically get out there and build up the community? Get out there and talk to people and they will tell you directly about the exodus to Charles County. It is basically the same process where people from SE DC were moving out to PG, now a lot of people are moving out of PG to CC to find a better place for themselves and better schools for their kids (although CC doesn't exactly set the bell curve itself). If you don't care about a reputation then that's cool - just don't get so bent out of shape and attack people when they call it like it is. You're saying that I'm not from there, and I'm telling you that I've lived there for nearly a decade, have family and friends there who have been there many decades themselves, have a long history in the area, and have seen the county grow and change over long periods of time, and still have multiple contacts in the area. If you call making an informed opinion based on personal experience and feedback from people who were born and raised there "talking out of my neck" then so be it. It is better than talking out of my ass, which you seem to be doing at this point.

Last edited by Shadowlynx; 10-19-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
A little advice? Why TF would I want to read your profile? You dont sound like a female and you put your location up there yourself. If you want people to know where you've been then put it up there for ppl to see. You expect folks to research your life story, I see why you didn't mess with PG county. But to say people should form their own opinion first and leave if they dont like it is ALL you had to say.
If you're going to state stuff about me and use it to attack my post, then you should at least get the whole story. If you would have done so, then you wouldn't have made a comment asking what I know about the county because my location says California. I'm obviously not going to put all of those areas as my location because I don't live in all of those areas at the same time, genius. I don't care if people know where I've been, but if you're going to use my location to attack my post then YOU need to do the homework yourself before making yourself look like an idiot by assuming something that's not true. I don't expect anyone to research my life story, but if they are going to assume stuff about me, then it would help THEM if they at least got their facts straight about me before they decide to talk out of their ass to me. Let me guess, you meant to say "miss" PG county, right? Look, PG has a ton of problems that are going to take a long time to correct, but learning how to speak the language correctly and read at more than a 6th grade level is a start. Is that too much to ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland