Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McDaniels Sr. View Post
Thank you. I don't want to be around low life, black trash. Atlanta has a lot of that. It's unfortunate that blacks have very limited upscale communities largely due in part to the low life blacks ruining everything.

It causes non blacks to look negatively at the entire black race.
Which is the caveat when it comes to locating quality Black enclaves in any major city. The DC area just like in Atlanta you'll have to know where to look. I'll say overall DC has a larger upscale Black populace though.

DC proper is still home to Black professionals, but the gentrification has spread out the enclaves of Black wealth across the city more. Meaning if you'd like to be in a strong majority Black neighborhoods with the greatest urban amenities and way of life in the most vibrant/safe areas, you won't find it as easily as 25 years ago. Places like Ledroit Park, Gold Coast/ 16th street, even parts of Capitol Hill are all upscale, and were all much more "Black" in that era.

Check out this video on the "Gold Coast" in upper NW DC. Jesse Jackson used to own a residence there among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_yutpWlug

All in all, Prince George's County is the premiere "upscale" Black wealth county in America. So you can find what you're looking for there, but even PG has poor public schools in some areas. There are good public schools in places like Bowie, Greenbelt. But a lot of the most "upscale" Blacks send their kids to private schools in PG.

As far as residential enclaves, the Largo, Kettering, Mitchellville, Lake Arbor, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Woodmore central enclave of Prince George's County is as wealthy of a contiguous Black suburban enclave you could find, and it's all the way Black. You'll find Black mega churches just like in Atlanta, but for the level of wealth in the area, you have limited dining options and little night life action. People will drive to National Harbor, DC, Alexandria etc to hit up their favorite, or any of the premiere restaurants, amenities. Growing up I would drive over to Montgomery County too all the time, to either find a more diverse crowd, better restaurants, or just to see a different side of town with upscale amenities.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-01-2021 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 10:22 PM

116 posts, read 104,943 times
This is the reply that I needed. Thank you.

It sounds like what you're saying is the black professionals are still in DC but it's a lot more diverse than before. That's okay too. As long as there is still a strong black professional presence in DC.

I like what you've said about PG as well. I would love in DC for a year than possibly move to PG to buy or build a home.

I'm perfectly fine with driving to other areas for dinning and shopping options. I do understand many of these communities are bedroom communities and the amenities may not be there

I have been strongly researching PG too.....I do like Bowie.

I'm 47 and without children and no plans to have any.

I also like the DC area because Atlanta is too much of a creative, entertainment environment more so than the professional polished environment in the DMV.

Thanks for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Which is the caveat when it comes to locating quality Black enclaves in any major city. The DC area just like in Atlanta you'll have to know where to look. I'll say overall DC has a larger upscale Black populace though.

DC proper is still home to Black professionals, but the gentrification has spread out the enclaves of Black wealth across the city more. Meaning if you'd like to be in a strong majority Black neighborhoods with the greatest urban amenities and way of life in the most vibrant/safe areas, you won't find it as easily as 25 years ago. Places like Ledroit Park, Gold Coast/ 16th street, even parts of Capitol Hill are all upscale, and were all much more "Black" in that era.

Check out this video on the "Gold Coast" in upper NW DC. Jesse Jackson used to own a residence there among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_yutpWlug

All in all, Prince George's County is the premiere "upscale" Black wealth county in America. So you can find what you're looking for there, but even PG has poor public schools in some areas. There are good public schools in places like Bowie, Greenbelt. But a lot of the most "upscale" Blacks send their kids to private schools in PG.

As far as residential enclaves, the Largo, Kettering, Mitchellville, Lake Arbor, Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Woodmore central enclave of Prince George's County is as wealthy of a contiguous Black suburban enclave you could find, and it's all the way Black. You'll find Black mega churches just like in Atlanta, but for the level of wealth in the area, you have limited dining options and little night life action. People will drive to National Harbor, DC, Alexandria etc to hit up their favorite, or any of the premiere restaurants, amenities. Growing up I would drive over to Montgomery County too all the time, to either find a more diverse crowd, better restaurants, or just to see a different side of town with upscale amenities.

Last edited by Tim McDaniels Sr.; 10-01-2021 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-03-2021, 06:43 AM

23 posts, read 19,044 times
You may end up looking around Upper Marlboro. While it's suburban, it's an upscale black majority area with growing developments such as gated communities with golf courses, restaurants and upper middle class black culture. My impression is that many black professionals have moved in that direction or even to farms on that side of DC. Closer in, I think Northeast DC may have established urban black communities.

The District has been changing a lot in recent times with large influxes of young people from different areas. There have been a lot of nice, new developments but the DC Waterfront while very new is no longer a black majority area based on recent observation. It is the site of a lot of growth so it still may be interesting to you for a year but I think you may be more interested in PG County because there are numerous new, upper middle class black majority neighborhoods. I would say that you might also consider Silver Spring which has a large Ethiopian community and a city vibe with a lot of culture.

I recommend visiting to see what works for you but I'd say that in NE DC or even along Georgia Ave going north you might find what you want if you don't want to go to PG. I'd say to check out the area around Nats Stadium because there is a lot of development around there even if it doesn't end up being a fit.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the in depth reply. I'll definitely put this i for to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOpinion View Post
You may end up looking around Upper Marlboro. While it's suburban, it's an upscale black majority area with growing developments such as gated communities with golf courses, restaurants and upper middle class black culture. My impression is that many black professionals have moved in that direction or even to farms on that side of DC. Closer in, I think Northeast DC may have established urban black communities.

The District has been changing a lot in recent times with large influxes of young people from different areas. There have been a lot of nice, new developments but the DC Waterfront while very new is no longer a black majority area based on recent observation. It is the site of a lot of growth so it still may be interesting to you for a year but I think you may be more interested in PG County because there are numerous new, upper middle class black majority neighborhoods. I would say that you might also consider Silver Spring which has a large Ethiopian community and a city vibe with a lot of culture.

I recommend visiting to see what works for you but I'd say that in NE DC or even along Georgia Ave going north you might find what you want if you don't want to go to PG. I'd say to check out the area around Nats Stadium because there is a lot of development around there even if it doesn't end up being a fit.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Urban Turf focuses mostly on DC but does some Md & Va too.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/neighborhoods

Typically in articles such as the one below, at the bottom, have links to similar articles they have done on other hoods. Not this one, must be down for maintenance. The daily email is a useful and quick read.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...s-circle/18755

This may help too.
https://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline

Old 10-03-2021, 09:07 PM

Thanks. This is very helpful. For the sake of some, I hope DC has more initiatives in place to help encourage more affordable housing units. Doesn't seem like enough is being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Urban Turf focuses mostly on DC but does some Md & Va too.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/neighborhoods

Typically in articles such as the one below, at the bottom, have links to similar articles they have done on other hoods. Not this one, must be down for maintenance. The daily email is a useful and quick read.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...s-circle/18755

This may help too.
https://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline

Old 10-03-2021, 09:58 PM

174 posts, read 411,589 times
Quote:
I'm debating whether to stay in Atlanta or relocate to the DMV- (PG or DC proper).

If you've moved from Atlanta to PG what has been your experience in PG thus far?
I moved from Atlanta to PG County. I enjoy living here. More things to do and closer to other cities to take day trips or weekend trips. I been here for almost 9 years now. Even though the cost of living is higher here, my salary is much higher than what it was in ATL. DM me.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Thank you. I don't want to be around low life, black trash. Atlanta has a lot of that. It's unfortunate that blacks have very limited upscale communities largely due in part to the low life blacks ruining everything.

It causes non blacks to look negatively at the entire black race.
Smh...

Old 10-07-2021, 11:10 AM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:
I'm debating whether to stay in Atlanta or relocate to the DMV- (PG or DC proper).

If you've moved from Atlanta to PG what has been your experience in PG thus far?
Honestly what is your price point? Lots of areas to choose from based upon what you can afford.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Honestly what is your price point? Lots of areas to choose from based upon what you can afford.
I plan to rent first and more than likely buy in pgc. $2,500 for rent. Preferably around middle to upper class bla k folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland