U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,123 times
Default Annapolis or Olney

My husband recently took a job in Beltsville, MD. We have two daughters, 11 and 6, and are looking to moving down to MD in the summer. We are both 32 and currently live in State College,PA. We have looked at several areas and homes.I am a mosaic artist and currently own a gallery downtown in Pa. I am looking to move my business to a home studio, but would like to move to an area that had a community of artist, supportive of local artist or was more artsy/hip than not. We have narrowed it down to two, Olney and Annapolis. Based on the following info, what would work best:

Good schools
safe area
fun, hip and things to do
locally owned stores
good restaurants
homes with some land (.5 or more acres)
diverse but not urban.... we don't want to hear trains, sirens or anything
We love to garden/farm and would like an area with enough land to do so
young families
access to night life

thanks for all replies!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM

106 posts, read 341,206 times
Olney was just voted one of the top 100 cities to live in in the USA for 2008! It's the ONLY Maryland city on the list.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM

598 posts, read 1,300,981 times
Both of those are great places to live in MD (and both expensive). I'm not sure if Olney or Annapolis has "hip" things to do per say, but DC and Balt are close and fun!

I would say that Annapolis is more artsy and by the water, while Olney is a little more suburban and a bit more ritz feel to it.

You can't go wrong, really.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven and Ali View Post
My husband recently took a job in Beltsville, MD. We have two daughters, 11 and 6, and are looking to moving down to MD in the summer. We are both 32 and currently live in State College,PA. We have looked at several areas and homes.I am a mosaic artist and currently own a gallery downtown in Pa. I am looking to move my business to a home studio, but would like to move to an area that had a community of artist, supportive of local artist or was more artsy/hip than not. We have narrowed it down to two, Olney and Annapolis. Based on the following info, what would work best:

Good schools
safe area
fun, hip and things to do
locally owned stores
good restaurants
homes with some land (.5 or more acres)
diverse but not urban.... we don't want to hear trains, sirens or anything
We love to garden/farm and would like an area with enough land to do so
young families
access to night life

thanks for all replies!
Annapolis is great for an artist to sell at local small shops. I have lived there all my life almost, and the housing boom/development is now taking over. Houses/condos are expensive in this area, Olney may be less costly. Great restaurants,downtown bars/eateries, quiet neighborhoods, safe. Love it!! Good luck looking for housing, may have to go just outside of annapolis for lower costs.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 AM

658 posts, read 1,158,579 times
Both are very nice areas to consider. Annapolois has more of a downtown and "artsy" feel than Olney. Olney might be better for commuting purposes but it can be a bit out the way.

Annapolis is a truly unique city that few can campare to. Commuting may not be easiest and you would probably have to live in Edgewater or Severna Park nearby as the schools in Annapolis itself are not the best.

Olney's schools are ranked much higher than those in Annapolis, but probably equal with nearby Annapolis communities like Edgewater and Severna Park.

One edge that Olney has is that it's closer to DC.

Quote:
Olney was just voted one of the top 100 cities to live in in the USA for 2008! It's the ONLY Maryland city on the list.
What survey are you referring to? If it's Money Magazine, they did things differently and these were looking for more smaller towns. That's the reason whey towns such as Columbia/Ellicott City, Md and Naperville, IL which have consisitenly been on the list were excluded this year.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM

769 posts, read 2,523,172 times
I have never been to Olney, but I do live near Annapoils and it is beautiful here! There is a pocket of not so desired areas. That is what drives the schools ratings down so low. Plus most of the "rich" children go to private schools there. However, you could live in Arnold or Severna Park, they are just north of Annapolis and have EXCELLENT schools.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:13 PM

106 posts, read 341,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post

What survey are you referring to? If it's Money Magazine, they did things differently and these were looking for more smaller towns. That's the reason whey towns such as Columbia/Ellicott City, Md and Naperville, IL which have consisitenly been on the list were excluded this year.

Here you go...

Real Estate and Home Buying Site- Relocate-America's 2008 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,123 times
thanks for all the feed back. We are planning on renting an apartment in Olney and seeing how that goes. I have a strong feeling we will end up there, although I could be wrong.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM

21 posts, read 101,008 times
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland