Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 AM

43 posts, read 257,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm90 View Post
Ignore the bitter people like aceofspadez who've "never heard of anyone moving" from NC to DC. NC is cheaper, but you get what you pay for, and in DC you get great ethnic food (Vietnamese, Middle Eastern, etc.), major league baseball and hockey, terrific music venues, decent live theater, people who don't elect Jesse Helms, etc. Bethesda is a great area with great schools (Walter Johnson, Walt Whitman, etc.), and it's not stressful or arrogant if you just ignore the type-A people and do your own thing.
Okkkkk, like NC doesn`t have just as great amenities..........yea ok.....you need to get out more, such as travel the country.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 AM

59 posts, read 153,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofspadez View Post
Okkkkk, like NC doesn`t have just as great amenities..........yea ok.....you need to get out more, such as travel the country.....
Good job, "aceofspadez", can't wait to hear your description of NC's great amenities to make up for the lack of everything I listed. Oh, and NASCAR, country music, and the Christian right won't exactly make for a compelling argument as "amenities."

Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I moved from NY to Charlotte, NC to Severna Park, MD. DC is nothing like Charlotte. Charlotte had nothing to offer us as a city, I also had no problems living in Charlotte. However, DC I would never live in. The housing is not like it is in Charlotte, DC is an old city, not a new an upcoming one like Charlotte(that gives you an idea about housing). I second the notion to live near Annapolis, it is beautiful here! But I would have to say if you can get into the Severna Park school district than do so. Severna PArk schools are ranked in the top 5 in the state. Arnold has good schools, but if you are looking for excellence all around SP school district can not be beat. GreatSchools.net this is helpful when looking for schools.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Good job, "aceofspadez", can't wait to hear your description of NC's great amenities to make up for the lack of everything I listed. Oh, and NASCAR, country music, and the Christian right won't exactly make for a compelling argument as "amenities."
Wm90, the Triangle area around Raleigh, Durham, and CHapel Hill has as much biotech development as the area around Shady Grove in Rockville/Montgomery County. Its one of the most booming areas in the world attracting people from around the world. And these are actually immigrants contributing to our country unlike the waves of illegals pouring into PG County and Montgomery and idling around 7-Eleven parking lots every day and forming gangs.

There are plenty of nice restaurants in North Carolina. Charlotte and Raleigh are large cities without the pushiness and aggressiveness of Washington, D.C. or Baltimore. Even without that, what's bad about country or small town life? My parents are immigrants and I don't think an all-American place is that bad.

North Carolina has some of the best beaches and mountain scenery in this half of America. Try comparing Ocean City with the Outer Banks. As beautiful as Garrett County and Deep Creek Lake are, its not the Great Smokey Mountains. The SOuth also has better values. Believe me I work in a pharmacy and you will not believe how many clearly unmarried women get birth control pills here.

And you are clearly biased against country music which clearly shows how out of touch you are with most of America. I'm not the only one to say this, but Maryland, especially the DC area, is not the real America. We're our own little world here completely different from the rest of the country except for New Jersey and California. You should travel the country more and see the places where most Americans live. I don't think we are better than 90% of the rest of the nation.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Wm, you also have a lot of misconceptions of country music. Do you even know how big a following it has in suburban areas and among young people? You should listen to a CD by Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts or Kenny Chesney and try telling people its "hick" music. Do you listen to some crap where people just sound they're banging on trash cans and are screaming but you don't know what the hell they're screaming about.

I would follow NASCAR if I had time. But do you know its the most heavily watched sport in America? A lot more than hockey which is Canadian and European.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM

59 posts, read 153,526 times
"Terrapin 2212", you are impressively ignorant if you really believe DC is not the "real America." (Not to mention incredibly ignorant to not realize that there are non-sex-related reasons to go on birth control pills) Just because you found some fellow rednecks in the South doesn't mean that DC isn't like "the rest" of the country (see, e.g., NY, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Miami, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, L.A., San Diego, Denver, etc., etc.; that's an awful lot of people, sweetheart, not a small sliver) and isn't part of the "real America" (i.e. your depressing country-NASCAR paradise) as much as you'd like to marginalize it. You and George "macaca" Allen can keep fighting your culture war about the "real America"; he got laughed out of office, and you are pretty much a joke yourself.

Nice list of amenities to make up for everything NC is missing; oh wait, you really didn't come up with anything except "nice restaurants" (there's a few, but you've got to be kidding if you think they even come close to DC's in variety or quality) and mountains (umm, people can still take vacations there). Raleigh sucks, it is duller than dull.

The Outer Banks are nicer than Ocean City, I'll give you that.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Wm90, you are a typical East Coast snob. Call me tasteless (no pun intended) all you want but I don't need to pay $200 for dinner in Georgetown just to show off. I am perfectly fine with Outback Steakhouse or Red Lobster. I think Houston's Restaurant in Rockville is a pretty good place....you probably think its beneath you though.

So what exactly do you have against country music? It's the music of America. Have you ever even listened to it. And I mean modern day country music not stereotypical stuff from past decades? Do you know that Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks (as much as I disagree with their politics) and Rascal Flatts and Lonestar are among the best-selling bands or artists ever?

Carrie Underwood, anyone?

Baltimore vs. Raleigh now? Yes, Baltimore has some more clubs and bars and that's it? What about how no city in North Carolina is as crime-ridden or decaying as cities in the Northeast?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
LMF, don’t you have to take route 4 to get from St Mary’s county to DC? That road was a traffic nightmare 20 years ago when I used to commute from Upper Marlboro! It must be hell on earth by now.
So Grizz..i see you are staying in Wake Forest...not really raleigh but close enough.
Have fun with
car property tax yet? yearly inspection? taxes on grocery ...
hell want to compared...MD to NC

the housing prices...and maybe the traffic and a lot more people and city and surb diff. Cost of living really the same if you asked. I moved from NC to mD a year ago.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Wm90, you are a typical East Coast snob. Call me tasteless (no pun intended) all you want but I don't need to pay $200 for dinner in Georgetown just to show off. I am perfectly fine with Outback Steakhouse or Red Lobster. I think Houston's Restaurant in Rockville is a pretty good place....you probably think its beneath you though.

So what exactly do you have against country music? It's the music of America. Have you ever even listened to it. And I mean modern day country music not stereotypical stuff from past decades? Do you know that Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks (as much as I disagree with their politics) and Rascal Flatts and Lonestar are among the best-selling bands or artists ever?

Carrie Underwood, anyone?

Baltimore vs. Raleigh now? Yes, Baltimore has some more clubs and bars and that's it? What about how no city in North Carolina is as crime-ridden or decaying as cities in the Northeast?
lol
Take a drive to Durham..you see some crimes. There are ghetto in Raleigh too..mostly on the east side of the town. and towards Capital blvd and New Bern Ave, you will see Mexico city there and also along Atlantic Ave.
Dont get me wrong. Raleigh is a nice place. I have a lot good friends that live there but I dont think you can really compared Raleigh to Baltimore. Maybe Charlotte to Baltimore.
Charlotte aint as good as you think.

p/s whoever want good decent cheap food, stop by at Rockford on Glenwood across Hiberian bar in Raleigh. good ol neighborhood bar..stopby jackpot at Hillsborough St next to IHOP

Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
WM90....
you should really travel out more...you will see the world a little bit more. With that kind of attitude, you are fighting a losing arguement....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland