Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:55 AM

148 posts, read 642,620 times

Advertisements

I recently spent some time in Northern Montgomery County and could not believe how bad the demographics were getting. It use to be a pleasant Middle Class area but now it seems full of section 8 housing, illegal immigrants, crime and sprawl. It seemed like half the houses were empty and the lawns were uncut. I understand that there are tons of foreclosures.

I remember when Montgomery County use to be one of the wealthiest communities in the United States, now outside of Potomac, Bethesda and Chevy Chase, it seems overwhelmed by poverty, crime, foreclosures and illegal aliens. What happened?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 11,162,928 times
"Bad Demographics?!" Can you make the veil a little thiner on that reference, I am not sure what you are talking about. God forbid a county not be entirely white, wealthy, and full of 1 acre lots. Montgomery County is still one of the wealthiest counties in the country. If you really think any part of Montgomery County is a "high crime" area, I'd hate to hear what you would have to say about other places in the state.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:20 AM

658 posts, read 1,779,614 times
It's sad, but unfortunately some areas of the Northern Montgomery County have gone downhill severly. From what I have heard from other people is that the County has placed several Section 8 and HOC properties and also created sanctuaries for illegal immigrants in these locations which has caused crime and gang activity to increase and in turn many middle-class families have moved elsewhere to other parts of the county or to Frederick or Howard Counties.

There are still some nice areas in Germantown and Gaithersburg however. Personally, I think residents should become more involved to combat crime and decay in their neighborhoods. For instance, Germantown is right now an unincorporated place. I think that if it became a city, it would be have more regulation and not have to rely on the County government for everything.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,998 times
I am guessing that when you guys say Downhill,its not about diversity.

I think some people get intimidated when see more of one race then another such as Hispanics/Blacks.

I remember Gaithersburg and Germentown was not a diverse area but now its becoming more diverse which is a good thing.

Question: When people see a lot of hispanics they assume they are illegals, why?

Section8 were always in Montogmery County. Section8 is very easy to get in Montgomery County. A lot of lower income families are moving into Montogmery County because the county provides better government programs then PG county or other counties.

Montgomery do have alot of section8. The apartments with Section8 are the nice ones too.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM

460 posts, read 1,870,889 times
No where is this more true than Takoma Park. Born at Washington Adventist, attended elementary, middle, and high school there. Now the staff can't even walk to their cars at night at the hospital without security because there are so many illegals/criminals/vagrants hanging out there since Takoma Park became a safe haven for illegal immigrants. If you can break the rules w/o threat of deportation, many criminal elements will gravitate to that spot. It's a shame. However, people elect people that make these stupid rules so there is a mechanism for change -- once in place, though, it will take time to clean it up.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 AM

512 posts, read 1,629,631 times
You have got to be kidding me. What in the world is your definition of high crime. So you have 8 murders in the county instead of 2. Big deal. Montgomery County is still one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. Has crime been on the rise. I would have to say yes. I'm from P.G. county. Grew up there. I'm pretty sure you think the entire place is a ghetto. Compared to P.G. county, Mo county is not nearly as bad as you think. Turn off Fox 5 news and stop reading into your precious and illustrious community so much. Enjoy the diversity and try talking to the section 8 people. You know everyone that is on section 8 is not ghetto. You just might learn something. Part of diversity is understanding different cultures an view points. Try that. Ignorance is a killer.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,775,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
"Bad Demographics?!" Can you make the veil a little thiner on that reference, I am not sure what you are talking about. God forbid a county not be entirely white, wealthy, and full of 1 acre lots. Montgomery County is still one of the wealthiest counties in the country. If you really think any part of Montgomery County is a "high crime" area, I'd hate to hear what you would have to say about other places in the state.
Actually I'm Asian American and sympathize with the original poster. Income levels are misleading because Montgomery si also an expensive place to live. The average person in Hagerstown, Salisbury or Westminster lives just as comfortably. Illegal immigration is what's happening. Its happening throughout this country except in places that are already so depressed (like Pittssburgh or Detroit for example...also noticed very few illegals in Baltimore City) that even illegals won't go there.

Washington, D.C.'s gentrification is just pushing the ghetto outward and Maryland is a sanctuary state for illegals. Our governor O'Malley, a liberal Democrat, gives IN-STATE tuition to illegals at state universities, including prestigious, ranked universitie like College Park, Towson and Salisbury. Montgomery County execute Isiah Leggett, according to the Post, told a man to "shut up" when he brough up the issue of illegal immigrants moving into his community during a community meeting in Silver Spring. I mean, illegals moving into your streets should coutn as a community issue, shouldn't it?

I'm not against immigration but really am against ILLEGALS. The relocation of the DC ghetto is also a problem. Maryland is openly soft on illegals while our neigbors in Virginia and Pennsylvania and West Virginia are openly increasingly tough, what do you expect? Illegals from those states are also moving here.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:20 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Actually I'm Asian American and sympathize with the original poster. Income levels are misleading because Montgomery si also an expensive place to live. The average person in Hagerstown, Salisbury or Westminster lives just as comfortably. Illegal immigration is what's happening. Its happening throughout this country except in places that are already so depressed (like Pittssburgh or Detroit for example...also noticed very few illegals in Baltimore City) that even illegals won't go there.

Washington, D.C.'s gentrification is just pushing the ghetto outward and Maryland is a sanctuary state for illegals. Our governor O'Malley, a liberal Democrat, gives IN-STATE tuition to illegals at state universities, including prestigious, ranked universitie like College Park, Towson and Salisbury. Montgomery County execute Isiah Leggett, according to the Post, told a man to "shut up" when he brough up the issue of illegal immigrants moving into his community during a community meeting in Silver Spring. I mean, illegals moving into your streets should coutn as a community issue, shouldn't it?

I'm not against immigration but really am against ILLEGALS. The relocation of the DC ghetto is also a problem. Maryland is openly soft on illegals while our neigbors in Virginia and Pennsylvania and West Virginia are openly increasingly tough, what do you expect? Illegals from those states are also moving here.
Please explain Ghetto? What Ghetto is getting pushed out? If you are talking about lower income why not say lower income do not call humans ghetto.

Majority of rich,middle class are one pay check from the Ghetto. When middle class families foreclosured where do you think they go. Do you still consider middle class who now do not have a home middle class or poor.

The lower income families are now buying up these middle class family homes. So now middle class are getting poor while lower class are moving up.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 AM

703 posts, read 2,933,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

What is your problem with illegal immigrants? Are they taking your job? Remember. . . if you lose your job to someone who can't speak English in your own country, who exactly is to blame for your situation? Maybe it's you and your lack of education and drive to succeed in the world?

Besides, you DO realize that you would be paying ALOT more at the supermarkets and restaurants for food and services if there wasn't people making minimum wages right? I talking much worst than the effects that high oil has on food prices right now.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 AM

90 posts, read 367,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I recently spent some time in Northern Montgomery County and could not believe how bad the demographics were getting. It use to be a pleasant Middle Class area but now it seems full of section 8 housing, illegal immigrants, crime and sprawl. It seemed like half the houses were empty and the lawns were uncut. I understand that there are tons of foreclosures.

I remember when Montgomery County use to be one of the wealthiest communities in the United States, now outside of Potomac, Bethesda and Chevy Chase, it seems overwhelmed by poverty, crime, foreclosures and illegal aliens. What happened?
All the people who want to avoid the lower class move to the North Potomac/Kentlands/Lakelands/Rockville part of the county.

The northern part of MontCo is just another Laurel or College Park with longer commute times to DC or Baltimore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland