Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM

109 posts, read 617,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
I'm SO not a numbers person, but exactly how is this data to be interpreted?
From the company that provided the demographic data:

How do I read a base 100 index score?

Index scores help put the crime values in a comparative context. Describing crme in terms of relative risk instead of absolute incidence allow us to account for an area's population. A score of 100 represents average crime. Keep in mind that the overall crime rate in the US is quite low – a score of 100 is indicative of a safe neighborhood.
When evaluating crime risk scores, please note that while 100 is the national average, the average for urban areas is closer to 150 and the average for rural areas is closer to 50. It’s important to realize that a value of 150 does not translate to “high crime” – it merely indicates that the crime risk is higher than the national average. This reflects the general concentration of crime in urban areas. To find the safer neighborhoods within a city you should compare their risk scores instead of evaluating against the national average.

But I live in a safe community…why does it seem to have an above average crime score?

Risk scores are relative. An urban area with a score of 150 is quite safe compared to many other urban areas. A rural area with a score of 100 would be have a higher than average crime risk when compared to other rural areas. When evaluating the risk index, its important to compare the values to the surrounding areas. This provides a better understanding of the relative crime risk.

Even considering this, some areas may have scores that appear too high or two low. FBI and local crime reporting jurisdictions do not match zip code and municipal boundaries. Further, often a zip code will have multiple “neighborhoods” – perhaps part of the zip code is “on the other side of the tracks”, down near the docks, or in a gated community. As a result, the index scores are intended as a guide line but are no substitute for the local knowledge a Real Estate professional can provide.
Full FAQ here: OnBoard LLC Crime Information FAQ (http://www.onboardllc.com/crime_FAQ.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM

311 posts, read 1,385,941 times
Quote:
I am curious, when you say if you could have afforded to - where did you move from and could you have moved somewhere else in that area of PG but maybe have downsized or something? Did you end up in Charles because it was more house for the money? Is that the ONLY reason you moved? I really would like to know. I don't try to start arguments about PG/Charles but when people say that everyone is being pushed out of PG because its too expensive and it's not crime infested, I have to argue that it still is crime infested and from all of the people I know that move here they say its to escape crime, for better schools and sometimes it is to get a better deal on a house but that usually means with more land or in a nicer area, etc. The schools are a HUGE part, which is funny because I don't think Charles Co. schools are that great but in comparison to PG they are.
Well, I guess that statement is misleading. I was renting a single family house in Temple Hills. I LOVED the area of older brick single family homes, tree-lined streets, close-knit feel of the neighborhoods. I had many friends living in various subdivisions of this area and wanted to buy there. However, the homes were not affordable for me and the taxes were much higher. The affordable areas for me in PG were not desirable. However, I do like the area that I live in Waldorf, for less money than I would have paid in PG.

Maat, thanks for the info! That's very helpful! However, I still find it weird that in a city as populous as Waldorf, 2 murders pushes it 17 (percentage points?) higher than the national average!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

250 posts, read 1,377,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
And again, I have to point out that the median home price is 350k for Upper Marlboro and 384k for Waldorf. Now I am sure there are some 600k houses in PG that may be 500k in Charles so they may be moving here to get a better deal but if they love PG so much, they can get a house there - it's not that they can't afford to.
First off, I love your post regarding crime stats, it's an interesting way to look at it. Regarding home prices, it's a bit skewed to look at this without considering cost per s.f. I'm going to do a little research to see what I can come up with, because working in the real estate market, I'm constantly showing homes in U.M. and Waldorf, and it seems that Dollar for Dollar, Upper Marlboro is slightly more expensive than Waldorf for a home of equal size. I'm going to see if the stats actually support that one way or another.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:32 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
Waldorf in no shape or form can been compared to Upper Marlboro no way.
Coming into Upper Marlboro all you see ar eMansions and well plan communities.

Waldorf is mostly commercial space and the area seems mostly industrial.

Upper Marlboro is majority residential with very few commercial.
I can never imagine people speaking bad about Upper Marlboro.

Someone saying Waldorf cost of living is higher then Upper Marlboro are those who are not in the Real Estate industry and are going by what they think.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post

Waldorf is mostly commercial space and the area seems mostly industrial.

Ya know for someone who says they are in real estate you do not know a whole lot about Waldorf,you do realize that St.Charles is "in" Waldorf "...right?Have you been in the back towards the new Blue Crabs Baseball stadium.many,many homes and neighborhoods back there.
There are many,many nice neighborhoods in Waldorf as I'm sure there are in Upper Marlboro but as with Upper Marlboro if all I did was judge it by the looks of 301 then that would pretty stupid. I trust real estate agents just below used car people.I don't know what I would do If I trusted an agent and they sold me a house in a crime infeasted area(P.G)....most likely sue.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBenya View Post
First off, I love your post regarding crime stats, it's an interesting way to look at it. Regarding home prices, it's a bit skewed to look at this without considering cost per s.f. I'm going to do a little research to see what I can come up with, because working in the real estate market, I'm constantly showing homes in U.M. and Waldorf, and it seems that Dollar for Dollar, Upper Marlboro is slightly more expensive than Waldorf for a home of equal size. I'm going to see if the stats actually support that one way or another.
I work with real estate agents and you are correct. When you compare homes of similar age, style, and size the homes in Charles County are less expensive. I believe new construction is less expensive as well in Charles County.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Ya know for someone who says they are in real estate you do not know a whole lot about Waldorf,you do realize that St.Charles is "in" Waldorf "...right?Have you been in the back towards the new Blue Crabs Baseball stadium.many,many homes and neighborhoods back there.
There are many,many nice neighborhoods in Waldorf as I'm sure there are in Upper Marlboro but as with Upper Marlboro if all I did was judge it by the looks of 301 then that would pretty stupid. I trust real estate agents just below used car people.I don't know what I would do If I trusted an agent and they sold me a house in a crime infeasted area(P.G)....most likely sue.
Why should anyone trust you. Are you upset that a majority Black community homes are worth more then a majority white area.

Upper Marlboro homes/communities are on a another level then Waldorf homes/communities.
Driving into Upper Marlboro you will see majority mansions and well planned communities.
Driving into waldorf from 301 you will see mostly Commercial/industrial buildings.

You are saying I have to drive behind a stadium to see nice homes in Waldorf.
In Upper Marlboro you can drive on any street and you will see nice homes/communities. 301 in Upper marlboro all of the communities are very nice

You will not and can not win this arguement. How can someone ever compare Waldorf to Upper Marlboro. It is like comparing Apples to orange.

Waldorf is more comparable to Beltsville.Upper Marlboro is more comparable to Bethesda.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Why should anyone trust you. Are you upset that a majority Black community homes are worth more then a majority white area.

Upper Marlboro homes/communities are on a another level then Waldorf homes/communities.
Driving into Upper Marlboro you will see majority mansions and well planned communities.
Driving into waldorf from 301 you will see mostly Commercial/industrial buildings.

You are saying I have to drive behind a stadium to see nice homes in Waldorf.
In Upper Marlboro you can drive on any street and you will see nice homes/communities. 301 in Upper marlboro all of the communities are very nice

You will not and can not win this arguement. How can someone ever compare Waldorf to Upper Marlboro. It is like comparing Apples to orange.

Waldorf is more comparable to Beltsville.Upper Marlboro is more comparable to Bethesda.

If you read the post I say ..."the back of Waldorf" by the stadium not behind the Stadium.Reading comprehension 101.I would never compare Waldorf to Upper Marlboro for 2 reasons,
1)Waldorf has less crime
2)I wouldn't lower Waldorf or anywhere in Charles county to the level of P.G.

P.S.

Your racist attacks are uncalled for on this thread or any other.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I work with real estate agents and you are correct. When you compare homes of similar age, style, and size the homes in Charles County are less expensive. I believe new construction is less expensive as well in Charles County.

I'm quite sure you are incorrect and if I could I would post the realestate site's to back it up but hence I'm not allowed.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Everyone stop wasting your time this posting is very ignorant and does not want to face the truth that Upper Marlboro is a very nice/More Affulent area then Waldorf.

Now Waldorf is nice but Waldorf can not compare to Upper Marlboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland