U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 21,654 times
Default Looking for a place near Washington DC

Hi,
I have been reading so many threads in this forum and you all guys offer great great advise. Hence, i am so inspired to write in here.

I moved to US in November 2006 and since then have been in Charlottesville, VA. However, now my project is over and I have an option to move near to Washington DC. I really have no idea about the area. Somone recommended a place called Rockville.

I would be moving there very soon and what I am looking at is a place within 25-30 miles from DC. My biggest criteria would be a safe place to live. I am Single, hence want a place thats quite happening and friendly people. Also looking for a beautiful place to live.

I would love to hear your recommendations so that I can drive this weekend and have a look at a few places out of these.

Thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 21,654 times
To add to my write-up earlier. I am open for both VA and MD areas. Hence, all good advises are welcome.

Regards

Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,077,370 times
Rockville is a perfectly nice city around 15 miles outside of DC. It's your typical American suburb in most respects; safe with good schools and largely populated by families. If you're looking for a "happening" place loaded with singles, you'll have to venture closer in towards DC, notably to Arlington on the Virginia side of the Potomac, right across from DC, a nexus for single twenty-somethings where there is more of an urban character and more nightlife than you'd find in Rockville or most other suburbs outside of the Beltway. Rockville has a Metro station which can zip you into DC in 25 minutes. Since you're not too far away, I definitely recommend taking a weekend trip up to the DC area and venturing around exploring Arlington, Alexandria, Rockville and the surrounding areas and just checking out the vibe of the different communities and seeing what sort of environment you think you'd feel most comfortable in.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,904,002 times
You can't go wrong with Rockville, SilverSpring, Arlington, OldTown Alexandria area, or if your not scared of the big bad city areas around Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle....Happening nightlife bars and restaurants with tons of single young folks and married....

Old 01-28-2007, 03:56 PM

165 posts, read 635,779 times
Default Looking for a place near Washington DC

The areas you have been recommended are all good ones to live. Since you're single most of the places I would know to recommend for you might be a bit too hefty for most people in your situation. It reallys comes down to what you're looking for in 1) the place itsels, 2) the type of neighborhood, 3) the time/distance to where you will work.

I was a fan for a longer drive and lesser housing cost when I first moved into the outskirts of the DC area. Unfortunately even those areas now (fun as they are) still cost an arm and a leg by being near DC. It seems more reasonable to pay the costs for those areas when you have a growing family (cost to pay for safe neighborhoods, good schools, etc...) all not as important when you just have yourself.

If you like the more city like areas I think you'll find a great area in Rockville, Silver Spring, etc... If you also like buying a place that may already be built you could try cities like Columbia in Howard County, or go further south in Maryland. You may find Prince George's County (aka PG county) gets noticed for some of the more unsavory news reports.

If you like the more rural places you could try a jaunt down Route 4 to places like Calvert County, or even further down toward Solomons Island. The down side to that is you will be extending your commute time quite a bit.

Good luck with the search. There's ton's out there to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyjon View Post
Hi,
I have been reading so many threads in this forum and you all guys offer great great advise. Hence, i am so inspired to write in here.

I moved to US in November 2006 and since then have been in Charlottesville, VA. However, now my project is over and I have an option to move near to Washington DC. I really have no idea about the area. Somone recommended a place called Rockville.

I would be moving there very soon and what I am looking at is a place within 25-30 miles from DC. My biggest criteria would be a safe place to live. I am Single, hence want a place thats quite happening and friendly people. Also looking for a beautiful place to live.

I would love to hear your recommendations so that I can drive this weekend and have a look at a few places out of these.

Thank you in advance !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland