U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,391 times
Reputation: 10
Default Greenbelt - Crescent Square Apts

Hello, I'll be moving to Greenbelt, MD within the next couple months. Has anyone lived in Crescent Square Apartments, or can someone give me any positive or negative information about the immediate area surrounding it? Thanks!

 
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
300 posts, read 614,880 times
Reputation: 133
It's a nice area. That apt complex is in the historic part of the city ("old greenbelt"). Roosevelt Center is right across the street, which has convenience stores, a movie theater, grocery co-op, etc. Aside from random teenagers making trouble once in a while, it is a safe neighborhood.

Also, the location is pretty convenient. You will only be a few minutes from the B-W Parkway and the Beltway. The University of Maryland is also about 10 minutes away. I don't know if you have kids, but one of the best high schools in Maryland (Roosevelt) is also nearby.
 
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,683,144 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
It's a nice area. That apt complex is in the historic part of the city ("old greenbelt"). Roosevelt Center is right across the street, which has convenience stores, a movie theater, grocery co-op, etc. Aside from random teenagers making trouble once in a while, it is a safe neighborhood.

Also, the location is pretty convenient. You will only be a few minutes from the B-W Parkway and the Beltway. The University of Maryland is also about 10 minutes away. I don't know if you have kids, but one of the best high schools in Maryland (Roosevelt) is also nearby.
You mean Eleanor Roosevelt....there are some more to look at.


Maryland schools - MD elementary, middle and high school information
 
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
60 posts, read 201,388 times
Reputation: 41
I have heard a few negative comments about that particular apartment complex, mostly about the management.

The neighborhood, Old Greenbelt is not bad at all. The movie theatre that was previously mentioned is cheap, but with only one showing at a time and does not play the latest movies. Bigger shopping complexes close by would be Greenway Center and Beltway Plaza.

I know many households that have lived in Old Greenbelt their entire life and would never even think about leaving the neighborhood. These same people do not lock their doors, would walk barefoot in the streets, jog around the trail in Greenbelt Lake at night (Things I personally would never recommend) and say Old Greenbelt is the safest place to live.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School which is referred to as Roosevelt is the best public school in Prince Georges County. I attended that school during my High school years and I would definitely recommend for your children to attempt testing into the Science and Technology Program.
Also, one of my close friends has just started teaching at Roosevelt, and loves the school for it's diversity and spirit.

I am very familiar about the area so please feel free to contact me with any more questions you may have.
 
Unread 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
 
646 posts, read 1,683,144 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabelle View Post
I have heard a few negative comments about that particular apartment complex, mostly about the management.

The neighborhood, Old Greenbelt is not bad at all. The movie theatre that was previously mentioned is cheap, but with only one showing at a time and does not play the latest movies. Bigger shopping complexes close by would be Greenway Center and Beltway Plaza.

I know many households that have lived in Old Greenbelt their entire life and would never even think about leaving the neighborhood. These same people do not lock their doors, would walk barefoot in the streets, jog around the trail in Greenbelt Lake at night (Things I personally would never recommend) and say Old Greenbelt is the safest place to live.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School which is referred to as Roosevelt is the best public school in Prince Georges County. I attended that school during my High school years and I would definitely recommend for your children to attempt testing into the Science and Technology Program.
Also, one of my close friends has just started teaching at Roosevelt, and loves the school for it's diversity and spirit.

I am very familiar about the area so please feel free to contact me with any more questions you may have.


To say ER is the best is a stretch but it is a good school ,the athletic Dept has had a whole bunch of problems.
 
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland
60 posts, read 201,388 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
To say ER is the best is a stretch but it is a good school ,the athletic Dept has had a whole bunch of problems.
I can't say much about their athletic department because I did not follow high school sports, but academics wise I do not see any other high school comparing to Eleanor Roosevelt. Roosevelt is a two time National Blue Ribbon Award winner among other prestigious awards and just this year was recognized as a Silver Medal School by U.S. News, America's Best High Schools.

Personally, Roosevelt is not my first choice but if limited to Prince Georges County, I can argue that it is the best.
 
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:59 AM
 
646 posts, read 1,683,144 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabelle View Post
I can't say much about their athletic department because I did not follow high school sports, but academics wise I do not see any other high school comparing to Eleanor Roosevelt. Roosevelt is a two time National Blue Ribbon Award winner among other prestigious awards and just this year was recognized as a Silver Medal School by U.S. News, America's Best High Schools.

Personally, Roosevelt is not my first choice but if limited to Prince Georges County, I can argue that it is the best.
If you can could you give the links to that info ,Thanks.
 
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland
60 posts, read 201,388 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
If you can could you give the links to that info ,Thanks.
U.S. News and World Report, America's Best High Schools
Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Two time National Blue Ribbon Award, as well as New American High School
AYPF Trip Report - Eleanor Roosevelt High School (http://www.aypf.org/tripreports/2001/tr120301.htm - broken link)

Siemens Award for Advanced Placement
Education Week: Honors & Awards
 
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,391 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks, everyone, for the information. It makes me feel more secure about my decision to move there.
 
Unread 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
 
206 posts, read 415,588 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the information. It makes me feel more secure about my decision to move there.
Eleanoor Roosevelt is the best HS in PG County, but primarily because of its Science and Technology Magnet program. The regular neighborhood school is not as good.

Also, there has been a lot of scandals with their athletic department...both track and football. It involved playing ineligible players, and/or recruiting kids from out of boundary.

I think they forfeited many games and track titles after they were caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top