U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2008, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 15,947 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Maryland and considering to buy a house in Oakview, Silver Spring. I believe it is part of Montgomery county, but it is right next to PG county. Can anyone please let me know if this is a nice area of Silver Spring? Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 AM

17 posts, read 43,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terracota View Post
We are .. considering to buy a house in Oakview, ... is a nice area of Silver Spring? !
Oakview is an unincorporated area that is multi-ethnic. Anything inside the Beltway (I-495) tends to be multi-ethnic, less so as you move towards Bethesda. The further outside the Beltway you go, the minority population decreases, generally. It is not wise to buy a house without knowing the area well.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM

1,389 posts, read 4,423,488 times
So are you saying living around minorities is a bad choice or is it better to live among whites?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:40 PM

17 posts, read 43,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
So are you saying living around minorities is a bad choice or is it better to live among whites?
No, I am saying that Oakview is multi-ethnic and the OP can decide for himself where he wants to live.
If I were moving to a new area, I would not want to be the only white face in a sea of black faces, nor would I want to be the only English speaking resident in a Spanish neighborhood. I would not want to be the only Christian in a Muslim neighborhood, nor the only straight person in a gay neighborhood. That is my choice and if the OP feels that way, he has a right to that choice as well.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
Default Go West, young man...

Generally, inside the beltway from downtown Sliver Spring all the way around to the west is pretty desireable.

Oakview is an area that is past it's prime, but right on the edge where you go 2 miles SE and you're entering an area that is not so pretty.

In adjoining White Oak/Burnt Mills and Hillandale (just across the beltway), there's a huge Federal Campus is being built (Food and Drug Admin.) on the site of the old Naval Surface Weapons Center, which was a somewhat gigantic rural site (in the 40's) with an integrated golf course, and Oakview, Hillandale built up adjoining it (late 50's & early 60's). I suspect this is going to have a positive affect the surrounding area over time. That said, Oakview is off the beaten track for Metro, and is not served well by it, so that's one aspect that holds it back somewhat.

If you have kids and want something pastoral, generally speaking, north and west are the nicest, and further out the newest and most spread out. Downtown SS is undergoing a revival, and many neihborhoods adjoining it are very nice, some are somewhat quirky and ecclectic.

Regardless, there are nice enclaves all around that area, including Prince Georges, especially as you get closer to UM.

If you have kids, I would search SAT scores for the HS districts, and that will tell you a lot. Same with crime stats. You will find lots of illegals and recent immirants in patches of Montgomery County, as it is historically pretty liberal, and they are pretty free with services and reticent to discourage "non residents" from using them.

Not that it matters, but inside the beltway west of SS is not what I would call even close to "ethnic" as was alluded to above. Don't know where that came from, although you might find many cultures represented by embassy staff, international delegations, and resident citizen doctors, lawyers, and Indian Chiefs originating from all parts of the world, but certainly a minority.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 15,947 times
Everyone, thank you so much for your input! We finally decided to rent a house first for next 6 months to get to know Silver Spring better. We found a house to rent near Oakview area that is within our budget. My husband is currently happy with the fact that he only has to drive 4 miles to work (College Park).
Thanks again, everyone!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenagainster View Post
No, I am saying that Oakview is multi-ethnic and the OP can decide for himself where he wants to live.
If I were moving to a new area, I would not want to be the only white face in a sea of black faces, nor would I want to be the only English speaking resident in a Spanish neighborhood. I would not want to be the only Christian in a Muslim neighborhood, nor the only straight person in a gay neighborhood. That is my choice and if the OP feels that way, he has a right to that choice as well.
Well said, Lenagainster. I think your point is well taken, although I also understand why Iscalder asked the question as your first comment was not as clear as this second comment you made.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terracota View Post
Everyone, thank you so much for your input! We finally decided to rent a house first for next 6 months to get to know Silver Spring better. We found a house to rent near Oakview area that is within our budget. My husband is currently happy with the fact that he only has to drive 4 miles to work (College Park).
Thanks again, everyone!
Terracota, welcome to our community. I hope you and your husband will be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland