U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:24 AM

262 posts, read 1,513,577 times
Post note to Vita

There has been negative portrayal of PG County in general by neighboring jurisdictions and the local and national media. In many ways this is racially oriented, and that is sad. I would just like to explain that I grew up in PG County, I am white, and I attended all majority black public schools. I had a lot of friends living in Hyattsville growing up, and if you note my motivation behind my post, I was stating that Hyattsville is a blanket postal address for a LOT of less safe areas. You can simply open up the newspaper and take a look at a crime log to see a lot of things happening around Landover etc. But I did recommend some parts of town that are truly Hyattsville, and gave credit to my fave local business. I really do like the area and would love to see it thrive. There is a really nice new condo community going up right near PG Plaza.

And, I love little Mexico in neighboring Riverdale, I think it's a very unique community that is relatively safe and has great places to eat. Mitchelville and Ft Washington are majority black communities with lovely homes. Ethnic communities are great if they are safe and this is my concern when recommending an area like Hyattsville - safety. I want someone who is new to the area to know which parts of town are safe and which to stay away from. I hope you don't feel that the postings on this board are attempts to steer transplants to the area away from minority communities - put it this way, I would recommend Bowie over Bethesda ANY day of the week.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 AM

26 posts, read 137,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons
20782 - University Park is in this zip, which is a VERY nice place to live. Large brick colonials and filled with families and professionals, great elementary school also. BUT that is just one community which has no shopping so you will have to venture out into worse areas. I would live in University Park but nowhere else!
University Park is the only nice area in that area, but UP is only a VERY SMALL area of 20782 it makes up 2,000 people of the 28,000 ppl that live in 20782. I would avoid Hyattsville and PG county no matter what the zip code is. I am planing to move out of Hyattsville but havent had the chance to yet.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 AM

350 posts, read 1,138,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita4all
Nothing is wrong with Hyattsville or those so-called "bad" parts of DC near it unless you're white, racist and terrified of blacks and Hispanics and have an underlying hostility toward them. This is what happened to Hyattsville. It was traditionally a blue-collar post World War II neighborhood outside of DC. In the 1980s, minorities bought up most of theses houses which had become run-down from whites who became too elderly and/or on fixed incomes to maintain them. The apartments in the area, all within 10 minutes of the University of Maryland-College Park, throughout the 1970s almost never rented to blacks, and I know this first-hand. They were so racist that they prefered to rent to Hispanics when they migrated to the area due to our military interventions and civil wars in Central America. This is why the neighboring Langley Park and Hyattsville are heavily populated with Hispanics. My old neighborhood, where I bought a house in 1987 and lived for 7 years, looks better now than then because the new neighbors (black and Hispanic) have fine carpentry and renovating skills. Many of these old houses now are just beautiful, and populated by people of color. PG Plaza is nice, unless of course you're prone to having panic-attacks when shopping around predominantly Hispanics and blacks, who behave no differently than white shoppers in Madelaine's preferred localities of Salisbury and Ocean City, which are nearly a 4 hour drive away from Hyattsville/CollegePark/DC/Silver Spring areas. White gays haven't seemed to have a problem in Hyattsville (my neighbor in the early 90s was one), no doubt because they generally don't act like offensive idiots when they're around people of color; respect is a two-way street. The impression I get of some of the people (in this forum) who steer others away from non-white neighborhoods is that they're the kind of whites who clutch their purses and run to their cars where they quickly lock their door and stare with hostility at ordinary young black and brown males dressed in casual attire, which is insulting and offensive to them. People like them have been inventing excuses to avoid social intergration and interaction with Native Americans, Africans, Asians, Mexicans, etc. for centuries, except to exploit them.
I grew up in New Carrollton, and I am white. That is not the reason that I would recommend not moving to Hyattsville- it's because of the crime. About seven years ago I was robbed at an ATM in Hyattsville. A friend of my brother's was rear ended in that area one day, and the man who rear ended him got out of the car and punched him in the face and left. Not a single word was spoken. A friend's brother (who happened to be black) was jumped one afternoon on his way home from work and robbed. I don't care how many blacks, whites or hispanics live there, unfortunately it is not a safe place to live. At my high school, cars were stolen out of the student parking lot every week, and kids brought guns to school. I had a lot of "non-white" friends and never once felt threatened in school, but I certainly would not ever go walking down the street in Hyattsville by myself. They are trying to revitalize P.G. Plaza, and hopefully that helps.
Regardless, you don't know the people who post here personally and you shouldn't make accusations based on assumptions.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 AM

If you're lokking for somewhere in that area, I'd try some areas of Greenbelt- old Greenbelt is a pretty neat little town.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:03 AM

26 posts, read 137,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780
I grew up in New Carrollton, and I am white. That is not the reason that I would recommend not moving to Hyattsville- it's because of the crime. About seven years ago I was robbed at an ATM in Hyattsville. A friend of my brother's was rear ended in that area one day, and the man who rear ended him got out of the car and punched him in the face and left. Not a single word was spoken. A friend's brother (who happened to be black) was jumped one afternoon on his way home from work and robbed. I don't care how many blacks, whites or hispanics live there, unfortunately it is not a safe place to live. At my high school, cars were stolen out of the student parking lot every week, and kids brought guns to school. I had a lot of "non-white" friends and never once felt threatened in school, but I certainly would not ever go walking down the street in Hyattsville by myself. They are trying to revitalize P.G. Plaza, and hopefully that helps.
Regardless, you don't know the people who post here personally and you shouldn't make accusations based on assumptions.
You went to Northwestern??

Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 AM

No, I went to Parkdale.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 AM

33 posts, read 169,819 times
Unhappy I grew up in Adelphi

I grew up in Adelphi - 20783 zip code. Lived there from 1965 through 1989 when I moved into Montgomery County, MD and my dad retired and moved to Florida. Adelphi was a GREAT place to grow up during that time, but no more. I keep in touch with one family who still lives in the old neighborhood and I hear horror stories all the time. Not sure why they haven't moved out, but it is home for them. Some parts of Adelphi are still nice, but anywhere near the Langley Park area -- University Blvd. / Riggs Road area, which is just up the road from Hyattsville, forget about it! In fact, there was a triple murder there last weekend, apparently the MS19 gang. I drove through there not too long ago and I felt like I was driving in a "modern" Third World city. Scary!!!

Hyattsville, Chillum, Queens Chappel Rd. - not good. I would never go to PG Mall now, although I worked there part-time in high school.

I live in VA getting ready to move to SC and can't wait to leave this area entirely! Good luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
I am white, middle aged,and scared of moths let alone truly threatning situations. I teach at an elementary school in Hyattsville around Riggs Rd Chillum area - there are a lot of problems in some of the apartment complexes but the houses are very nice and I wish I could afford to live there - I had to buy a major fixer upper in Capitol Heights which is an all black neighborhood, my black friends that I was mad but my street is wonderful - my neighbors are charming and have welcomed us - having said that I would never go out alone after dark - when I stay at school late I am always walked to my car and never call at my local shops without my husband - living in an inner city means using discretion and following some basic safety proceedures no matter what your ethnic background.....

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

119 posts, read 415,853 times
there are plenty of nice places in PG County, Hyattsville is not one of them. Born in Cheverly, half raised in Laurel, went to school in College Park.

Franklin's is pretty sweet though I recall great happy hour.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

96 posts, read 196,365 times
well i moved to dc in oct and are looking at renting a very very very nice house in the 20785 zip code right off of central ave. the neighborhood is a mixed with all races of middle and upper class and appears to be safe. so far there are only two places (as a black person) that i felt off or a little unsafe and it was two streets in the se area. i dont remember where or when because my husband and i were just driving around to get used to the area.

i have noticed that on this forum that alot of folks tell you to stay clear of areas that just so happen to have alot of black people in it. my suggestion is that if you can drive around to get a feel for the neighborhood, obviously in the daytime to see for yourself. i have relatives that live in SE in areas im sure would scare alot of people but if you actually went there you would see typical middle class americans hanging out watching their kids play on the streets free of violence, all they would need are white picket fences to set the mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland