Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Glad to see that your bitterness towards everything has not rubbed off on your daughter and that she is really bright in Gym.
I'm sure the cogs in your head had to turn really hard to come up with that zinger.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I'm still confused how one event in CC causes the whole county to be bad.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I liked Brooklyn. Brooklyn was awesome, as I've said before.

I think it would be a sign of bad judgment if I were to say good things about the last place I lived -- South Charlotte in North Carolina. And now that place is crashing and burning as Wachovia gets carved up and Bank of America moves people out to New York and other places and the hedge fund managers and other little banking parasites pick up stakes and move back to London. It was a pit of nouveau riche vipers in its very brief heyday, and now it's going to go back to being the depressed little pit it was some years before. It might then be a nicer place to live.

MoCo is more like South Charlotte than like Brooklyn.

I'm in Chevy Chase, by the border with Bethesda. So yeah, I was asking for it. But the mix of malicious busy-bodying and outright snobbery that we've experienced here really is approaching Manhattan levels.

You know what my kid's gym teacher said to her the other day? The teacher asked a question, and my daughter answered it, and then the teacher said that it was the smartest answer she's heard in her 12 years of teaching "from a kid that didn't go to [that public elementary school] the year before". What, every kid who goes to any other school in the whole world must be a complete moron because MoCo schools are just THAT superior? She's in second grade, there's not that much even the worst school district could have screwed her up in one year. This from a school that has closed all of its playing fields for the year because letting kids actually play on them makes the grass too unsightly.
I'm not really all that surprised by this. Chevy Chase is one of the most affluent and exclusive towns in all of the DC metro, and you're acting all surprised that people there are uppidity? Exactly what did you expect? By constantly complaining you're no better than the busy-body people you are trashing.

If you didn't want to deal with the snobbishery and prentiousness in CC, you could have choosen to live in a more "real" neighborhood like Silver Spring, Wheaton, Gaithersburg, or Rockville. Of course had you done so, you would have to leave the Chevy Chase affluent bubble behind you. People in CC are less likely to have to worry about foreclosures, rising food and fuel costs, the economy and crime; so they worry about mundane and trivial things.

Honestly, I don't feel a shread of sympathy for you. Just be thankful that you live in one of the most exclusive areas in the region and country and get on with your life. We don't need to hear about your "poor" life when there are hundreds of other who have much worse problems than you.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM

206 posts, read 633,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm still confused how one event in CC causes the whole county to be bad.
CC is in DC. Bethesda is in MoCo.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
CC is in DC. Bethesda is in MoCo.
There is a Chevy Chase Maryland and a Chevy Chase DC. Both comprise the area along western Avenue from Wisconisn to 32nd street. Chevy Chase, MD is more prestigious of the two.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:56 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
Going back to the busybody stay at home moms...maybe you need to elaborate and say RICH stay at home moms who also have maids/cleaning services, nannies, au pairs, etc? I used to live in MoCo and left earlier this year so I could afford to stay home.
Let me tell you, I am a "busybody" b/c I care for two kids and a husband, a house with tons of food to be prepared, laundry to be done, cleaning, etc!! I still don't have the money for any other people to work for me so I can sit on my couch and eat bonbons all day! Just curious--does your wife work? Maybe you're both jealous of people who have the opportunity to stay home. I certainly was envious of women who were able to stay home when I didn't have the option. Just guessing, of course.
Good luck and I hope things get better for you...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
Jeeze, I'd have hoped that things would have been better out in Indian Trail. Sorry to hear about that. How are things out your way nowadays anyway? It kind of feels like the whole city started falling apart right as I was getting out.

Yes, I know that many people on the forums give honest opinions and try very hard to be helpful, and I take what I read as heartfelt. But I also figure you have to read between the lines a little bit to get a full picture, since different people like and dislike different things. If my Charlotte neighbors were singing the praises of a place, for example, I'd be a little wary. Or as another example, a little abrasiveness in a population can be a good thing sometimes (at least to me). It can be deadly horrible other times. It kind of depends on the details, which leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
Vanyali, I personally dont' see when abrasiveness can ever be a positive thing, whether on the highway, in the community or anywhere.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,969 times
If I had to live in Montgomery County I would only live in Chevy Chase. Who cares about the people. Humans will always be humans. if you move to another country in a wealthy area the residents will act the same as those in Chevy Chase.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 AM

206 posts, read 633,720 times
Even in Potomac, it's the "old money" who thumb their noses at the "new money." And of course, there are those "freeloaders" who live in "North Potomac (aka Gaithersburg)."

Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 PM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
Heh. There were a lot of snobs in the part of MoCo where I grew up but when we moved upcounty it all changed. If you do not want to be around snobs anymore, feel free to join me in "high crime" Montgomery Village/Gaithersburg. We have the gang activity, foreclosures, etc. that I know you have missed along with our hard-working down-to-earth neighbors *sigh* Yeah, we'd all like to live in a safe neighborhood where the rich people are down to earth friendly unsnobby types, but unfortunately we have to live in the world which actually exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland