Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I do agree that it isn't fair to label the entire state of Maryland as a carbon copy of MoCo, so here's a better description of Maryland:
Attachment 28932
Yuppie/Snobbish terrain
Ghetto/Soulja Boi land
Good ol' Boy/Neo-Confederate territory

The Yuppie area is also in the NE part mixed in with the Good ol boys. Closer to jersey yet still here in MD. Then they complain about the local good ol'boys as being white trash.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I find the map humourous, but not very accurate. Places like Frederick County, Carroll County, and even large parts of Washington County are now much more yuppy than good old boy. Same goes for Southern Maryland as well. You need to go far into the mountains or way over the bridge to find places not part of the Maryland "commuter culture."

Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Oh, back your silly dogs down please. I'm looking at census maps, It looks like an AA state. There's a strong correlation between AA and ghetto. Simple as that. Politically incorrect, but true. Further, that credible sources indicate Md. has almost 3x the AA population as average. So seems a reasonable expectation that there's more ghetto to Md. than average.

All valid extrapolations from available data. But never was there any claim that I understood the area. If I did, why would I invite comments, LOL!

So I mentioned Baltimore. That seems to have hit a nerve. Sorry.

You stated in the affirmative that I was claiming "All of Md. is Baltimore" or some such. I did not. Unless we have some state that is also co-bounded by a city's boundaries, that's no state in the union. DOH! We do do have a few counties/cities that fit that sort of description. I think JAX is one?

Anyway, I never said I understood everything about Md. or even Baltimore. I wouldn't even claim that about my own home town.

One thing I definitely detect here, something I noticed the last time I was in D.C. people in you region are very politicized and ready to fight over anything. Oh well, guess that's what being near the center of Federal gov't does to people. No doubt a bit like folks over in L.A. being culturally influenced by the nearness of Hollywood, LOL!

Calm down. Can't solve a problem if you can't talk about it.

Wealthy blacks. Fine. Weren't the Gangsta Rappers shooting each other rich from CD sales? Aren't dictators in some countries rich, but killing off people in droves? Rich doesn't always equal good social conditions, as many of the rich bashers in these forums will attest.

In any event, here's quotes about PG county from Wikipedia (so I can't claim it's authoratative):

"...is the wealthiest county in the nation with an African-American majority."

AND...

"As of 2006, the county reportedly contains the highest crime rate for the Washington Metro area, comparable to Baltimore.[9][10]"

So it would seem wealth is no insurance against crime rates. (After all, how much money did those guys on Wall Street make off with? LOL! ;-) )

Look, all I am trying to do is figure out if Maryland would be a good place to live or not. Near as I can tell the legitimate answer is, "The further away from the D.C. / Baltimore area you get, the better off you are."

Again, using the non-authoritative, but sometimes correct Wikipedia statement about Montgomery (the original subject of this thread):

" It is a part of both the Washington Metropolitan Area and the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area."

So it would seem that taking this into account and the stated crime rate of PG county into account (despite it's wealth) that if you are sensitive to such things then Montgomery County is a place to avoid, at the very least.

And, I suspect that for Md. as a whole, like everywhere else, it depends on whether you have to go into the metro areas to live or not, what your perceived quality of life will be. (But just my guess from "on paper" data.)
Baltimore has a lot of Crime yes. You didn't strik a nerve by saying anything like, what struck a nerve was saying Baltimore is dangerous, Maryland's a small state so its probably not a very good state (basically what you were telling me). Maryland is not an AA state, Its very mixed.

"The five largest reported ancestries in Maryland are German (15.7%), Irish (11.7%), English (9%), unspecified American (5.8%), and Italian (5.1%).[37]

African-Americans are concentrated in Baltimore City, Prince George's County, and the southern Eastern Shore. Most of the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland are populated by Marylanders of British ancestry, with the Eastern Shore traditionally Methodist and the southern counties Catholic. Western and northern Maryland have large German-American populations. Italians and Poles are centered mostly in the large city of Baltimore. Jews are numerous throughout Montgomery County and in Pikesville northwest of Baltimore. Hispanics are numerous in Hyattsville/Langley Park, Wheaton and Gaithersburg.

Maryland has one of the largest proportions of racial minorities in the country, trailing only the four minority-majority states."

As you can see, the black community is very concentrated to certain areas.
PG county is not all full of Crime, there are areas that aren't ghetto, but much is, im not denying that

I didn't say rich equals peace, but we have many affluent AA communities in Maryland, as well as Hispanic.

Going further away from DC doens't automatically make it better. There are many areas of MD in the Baltimore/DC metro that are very nice. Elicott City for one.

If you're really wanting to find out if MD is a nice place, come here instead of bash it from what you've heard from people on this site (many of whom are just whiny people who aren't very credible)

Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Baltimore has a lot of Crime yes. You didn't strik a nerve by saying anything like, what struck a nerve was saying Baltimore is dangerous, Maryland's a small state so its probably not a very good state (basically what you were telling me). Maryland is not an AA state, Its very mixed.

"The five largest reported ancestries in Maryland are German (15.7%), Irish (11.7%), English (9%), unspecified American (5.8%), and Italian (5.1%).[37]

African-Americans are concentrated in Baltimore City, Prince George's County, and the southern Eastern Shore. Most of the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland are populated by Marylanders of British ancestry, with the Eastern Shore traditionally Methodist and the southern counties Catholic. Western and northern Maryland have large German-American populations. Italians and Poles are centered mostly in the large city of Baltimore. Jews are numerous throughout Montgomery County and in Pikesville northwest of Baltimore. Hispanics are numerous in Hyattsville/Langley Park, Wheaton and Gaithersburg.

Maryland has one of the largest proportions of racial minorities in the country, trailing only the four minority-majority states."

As you can see, the black community is very concentrated to certain areas.
PG county is not all full of Crime, there are areas that aren't ghetto, but much is, im not denying that

I didn't say rich equals peace, but we have many affluent AA communities in Maryland, as well as Hispanic.

Going further away from DC doens't automatically make it better. There are many areas of MD in the Baltimore/DC metro that are very nice. Elicott City for one.

If you're really wanting to find out if MD is a nice place, come here instead of bash it from what you've heard from people on this site (many of whom are just whiny people who aren't very credible)
The same wikipedia article that may have been drawn from also shows a chart with AA as 29% of the total Md. population and further states:

"Maryland has one of the largest proportions of racial minorities in the country, trailing only the four minority-majority states."

Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall I get the impression (on paper) it's a place to run from, not too.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM

30 posts, read 184,055 times
Default Good Bye md to nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Wow I must assume you are not from MD and if so, are you calling yourself "trash". Well this trash decided to leave MD due to the influx of those from NY/Nj whereever in the NE who wanted to push their ethnic ways on everyone. And actually I like my occassional "big box" food but I also love my downhome southern cooking unlike that greek/asian/thai crap that is all over the place now.

I am not from MD, though I moved here for work. Unlike you, I enjoy MD. As I stated, MD has its share of headaches. Try to name an area without problems such as crime, poor roads, issues with school systems, high taxes, etc... Your logic is puzzling and you are ostensibly an angry racist. Just b/c folks relocate, does not mean they are pushing their ethnic ways on anyone. As a suggestion, read up on U.S. history and learn about waves of immigrants coming here for a better life and bringing their rich cultures with them.

Since you left Maryland, what are you doing and where are you living? Has your life improved? Then ask yourself, why the **** are you still wasting everyone's time on this thread if you hate MD so much. Good bye.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
The same wikipedia article that may have been drawn from also shows a chart with AA as 29% of the total Md. population and further states:

"Maryland has one of the largest proportions of racial minorities in the country, trailing only the four minority-majority states."

Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overall I get the impression (on paper) it's a place to run from, not too.
If you are against Diversity, yes. If you like Beautiful and underrated states, no

Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Moderator note: This thread has gone off topic and 'tis time to place the ole' lock on it.
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland