Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,653 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Before I even start I have to say I AM NOT A PG HATER ! I've lived in PG County my whole life but now it is time for me and my family to leave. I have 2 little boys and currently live in Bowie. My sons are 3yr and 1 yr and my husband and I will not be able to afford to send them to private school. We both agree that sending them to public school is not an option we are going to consider.

I know I know...Bowie schools are not that bad, and Bowie has a nice community feel. My problem is not Bowie or the schools..it is all the ridiculousness that occurs in this county and I do not want to raise my children here or the immediate surrounding areas. That doesn't even include the cost of living here...for all we pay we get very little.

So we have to leave, however, we can't leave our jobs. My husband is a PG County Police Officer x 10 years so he is in it until retirement. Oh yeah...I forgot to include the unbelievable crime rate. But h. loves his job he just doesn't want his family to be victims and we have. I commute to Baltimore 2 days a week. So where ever we go we need to still be able to commute, preferably 1 hour or less. Luckily his commute will be off peak rush hours. I'm open to suggestions of almost anywhere.

Right now I'm looking in the Westminster area and that is the type of "feel" I'm going for. Small town feel with some convenience and affordable (which is what is making me avoid Frederick). Remember I said I've lived in PG all my life so I'm not willing to live on a farm now Since my time frame is 2 years (before the start of kindergarten) our income will change drastically due to childcare costs decreasing. So I'm thinking we'll probably be able to afford a house in the 300 - 375K range. I hope this is enough detail and thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,303,276 times
Might look into AA county south of Annapolis (Lotjian, Harwood). btw, I think you're going to get a talking to from a certain forumer. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM

196 posts, read 793,065 times
MDmom, I can certainly recommend Westminster, and you should be able to find something pretty nice now for 300K, unlike a year or so ago. However, I'm sure there are other places similar, maybe closer to your hubbys work. Good luck!

(and snickering at Ex-Ithacan )

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,072,030 times
Dunkirk MD is probably in range. Maybe Deale in AA county.

Have you considered Upper Marlboro?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 AM

177 posts, read 455,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDmomof2 View Post
Hello all,

Before I even start I have to say I AM NOT A PG HATER ! I've lived in PG County my whole life but now it is time for me and my family to leave. I have 2 little boys and currently live in Bowie. My sons are 3yr and 1 yr and my husband and I will not be able to afford to send them to private school. We both agree that sending them to public school is not an option we are going to consider.

I know I know...Bowie schools are not that bad, and Bowie has a nice community feel. My problem is not Bowie or the schools..it is all the ridiculousness that occurs in this county and I do not want to raise my children here or the immediate surrounding areas. That doesn't even include the cost of living here...for all we pay we get very little.

So we have to leave, however, we can't leave our jobs. My husband is a PG County Police Officer x 10 years so he is in it until retirement. Oh yeah...I forgot to include the unbelievable crime rate. But h. loves his job he just doesn't want his family to be victims and we have. I commute to Baltimore 2 days a week. So where ever we go we need to still be able to commute, preferably 1 hour or less. Luckily his commute will be off peak rush hours. I'm open to suggestions of almost anywhere.

Right now I'm looking in the Westminster area and that is the type of "feel" I'm going for. Small town feel with some convenience and affordable (which is what is making me avoid Frederick). Remember I said I've lived in PG all my life so I'm not willing to live on a farm now Since my time frame is 2 years (before the start of kindergarten) our income will change drastically due to childcare costs decreasing. So I'm thinking we'll probably be able to afford a house in the 300 - 375K range. I hope this is enough detail and thanks in advance for any replies.
You go to Bmore a lot and you complain about PG? lol

I agree with you on Bowie. Used to live there but the place went down hill faster than you can say jack Robinson. I will always advocate for Silver Spring..good schools, less crime, and 376K should give you guys a pretty nice 3 bedroom TH.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:31 PM

512 posts, read 1,630,133 times
Wow lady I feel your pain. I too grew up in P.G. my whole life and I still love the county, however the schools and at the time the homes and taxes are what got us. I would try either Calvert County or Anne Arundel. I would suggest Charles County, but if your traveling to Baltimore that is too far. Also Charles county only has two major arteries Route 5 and 210. They are filling up fast down here, and it's only a matter of time before those who can't afford P.G. will move down to Charles County. Be blessed. Oh tell your husband to stay safe.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM

8,584 posts, read 9,058,690 times
There is always 301-rt3 heading north towards Balt. out of southern Maryland. I grew up in PG and got out in the 80s to Fairfax. I would recommend La Plata, Whiteplains area.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,407,360 times
Default How about Columbia ?

I too grew up in PG county "Clinton" and I would never want to have my kids go through the PG school system.

I would take a serious look at Columbia , Howard County schools are suppose to be ranked very high these days and my wife and I go up there from our area of Kensington , Md to shop because IMO it's alot nicer area to shop and dine out.

I think it would be a good middle ground for you going to Baltimore and for your husband still having to work in PG and like someone else said thank him for his service as well.

Good luck and keep us posted ....bunky

Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM

206 posts, read 631,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDmomof2 View Post
Hello all,

The best (I repeat, the best) Bowie ES are decent, but the middle schools are mediocre and most of the high schools in PG are just plain mediocre to very bad.

In PG, you get more house for the money, but taxes and insurance in PG are way too high.

Even with the "more house" for the money, you will have a tough time selling due to the school situation, the county executive management, the lack of white collar jobs, lack of retail, crime, etc.

Also, the fact is that PG is primarily a black county, so the sheer # of people looking to buy your home are much, much lower because there are few ethnicities outside of blacks looking to buy in PG.

In the new community that I used to live in Bowie, I would say 95% of the community residents were black. I didn't have any issues with that, but the sheer reality of it is that the pool of people looking to buy your home is much, much, much smaller compared to if you owned the home in FFX or MC or HC.

It took me more than 6 months, price reductions, realtor bonuses, fully paid closing costs to sell my house. I would say 100% of the blacks looking to buy my home loved it, but 99% of them needed 100% financing. I ended up selling it to an African family who had money saved up.

It's just a plain business decision, nothing personal, to think seriously if you are considering PG.

Last edited by handy man88; 09-29-2008 at 09:53 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,407,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
The best (I repeat, the best) Bowie ES are decent, but the middle schools are mediocre and most of the high schools in PG are just plain mediocre to very bad.

In PG, you get more house for the money, but taxes and insurance in PG are way too high.

Even with the "more house" for the money, you will have a tough time selling due to the school situation, the county executive management, the lack of white collar jobs, lack of retail, crime, etc.

Also, the fact is that PG is primarily a black county, so the sheer # of people looking to buy your home are much, much lower because there are few ethnicities outside of blacks looking to buy in PG.

In the new community that I used to live in Bowie, I would say 95% of the community residents were black. I didn't have any issues with that, but the sheer reality of it is that the pool of people looking to buy your home is much, much, much smaller compared to if you owned the home in FFX or MC or HC.

It took me more than 6 months, price reductions, realtor bonuses, fully paid closing costs to sell my house. I would say 100% of the blacks looking to buy my home loved it, but 99% of them needed 100% financing. I ended up selling it to an African family who had money saved up.

It's just a plain business decision, nothing personal, to think seriously if you are considering PG.

Handyman,

Maybe you should re-read orginal post...this lady wants to leave PG county.

With patience and Bowie still being a desirable area to live in that selling her house won't be to bad even in todays market. See if you can try to market the house to military personel at nearby Andrews Air Force Base. Once you list the house you may want to call the housing department at Andrews Air Base and see if you can add your house to there housing list. There are always service people coming and going from Andrews Air Force Base. Or even to other police officers in the county. Just a thought when the time comes. Its not all doom and gloom out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland