Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times

Advertisements

I didn't get a chance to say, in my last thread, that despite its reputation, Chevy Chase in MoCo isn't really all ritsy. There are definitely really showy new-money too-expensive spots (especially along major roads to maximize the number of people forced to look as they drive past) and one super high-end shopping strip that no one seems to ever shop at, but a lot of the tucked-away streets of older houses are really redneck areas that have been putting on airs in recent years.

The houses where I am in Chevy Chase were, just a few years ago, selling for less than 30 or 40-year-old split-levels outside the beltway off of Rt 1 (I just happen to know that area, I'm not saying anything bad about it other than it's farther out of town).

Even at stupidly inflated bubble prices (shouldn't they come down already?) you can still get a nice brick townhouse around the corner for a price within real reach (not "I'll qualify anyone for as big a loan as they want" reach, but within reach under traditional criteria) of a young professional couple.

The problems I've seen aren't really with the kind of rich snoot neighbors you'd expect when you hear "Chevy Chase". Nor really with the biggest rednecks. The problems seem to come with the people who are trying to put on airs. They're the ones in everyone's business, forming cliques to include or exclude or hassle the other neighbors. They're socially ambitious, so they are, above all, socially active, which can really make them a nasty pain in the butt.

On the subject of ghettos, I really don't mind living around areas that a lot of people label "ghetto". How often have any of you *actually* been mugged? I've lived amongst urban and suburban "ghetto" areas for most of my life and only ever been held up once, and I wasn't even hurt, and was pretty much asking for it. Not really that big a deal.

I heard an interesting factoid on NPR yesterday about that new gang everyone's complaining about in Virginia -- MS-13. The police officer being interviewed said that about 95% of the members of that gang held down legit jobs. I couldn't believe it -- even the gang members in NoVa are relatively responsible, productive people.

Anyway, MoCo stinks, but not because it's too rich. MoCo stinks for the same intangible reasons that suburban New Jersey close to NYC stinks. It's hard to describe, but it's not because it's too rich, and not because it's too "ghetto"; it just is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I heard an interesting factoid on NPR yesterday about that new gang everyone's complaining about in Virginia -- MS-13. The police officer being interviewed said that about 95% of the members of that gang held down legit jobs. I couldn't believe it -- even the gang members in NoVa are relatively responsible, productive people.
Vanyali, MS-13 is not that new in the DC metro area. They've been established here for quite some time, and have spread relatively quickly across the country.

A lot of people were shocked when a few years ago they chopped off some kid's hands with a machete in NOVA, but MS-13 violence has been around for quite some time.

Btw, most of us are very supportive of responsible, productive immigrants. Responsible and productive, but extremely violent, gang members are a whole different story.

America's Most Dangerous Gang - MS13 - Violent, Vicious, and Spreading Fast.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 AM

I guess I meant that they're new to me -- I grew up in NoVa, left for about a decade, and then came back to the area. Hadn't heard about that gang when I lived here before.

Yes, gangs are bad, that's a given. If there are going to be gangs around, though, isn't it better for the gang members to have to hold down day jobs? At the very least, I would think it would cut down on the amount of time they have to devote to mischief.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,937 times
Quote:
I didn't get a chance to say, in my last thread, that despite its reputation, Chevy Chase in MoCo isn't really all ritsy. There are definitely really showy new-money too-expensive spots (especially along major roads to maximize the number of people forced to look as they drive past) and one super high-end shopping strip that no one seems to ever shop at, but a lot of the tucked-away streets of older houses are really redneck areas that have been putting on airs in recent years.

The houses where I am in Chevy Chase were, just a few years ago, selling for less than 30 or 40-year-old split-levels outside the beltway off of Rt 1 (I just happen to know that area, I'm not saying anything bad about it other than it's farther out of town).

Even at stupidly inflated bubble prices (shouldn't they come down already?) you can still get a nice brick townhouse around the corner for a price within real reach (not "I'll qualify anyone for as big a loan as they want" reach, but within reach under traditional criteria) of a young professional couple.

The problems I've seen aren't really with the kind of rich snoot neighbors you'd expect when you hear "Chevy Chase". Nor really with the biggest rednecks. The problems seem to come with the people who are trying to put on airs. They're the ones in everyone's business, forming cliques to include or exclude or hassle the other neighbors. They're socially ambitious, so they are, above all, socially active, which can really make them a nasty pain in the butt.

On the subject of ghettos, I really don't mind living around areas that a lot of people label "ghetto". How often have any of you *actually* been mugged? I've lived amongst urban and suburban "ghetto" areas for most of my life and only ever been held up once, and I wasn't even hurt, and was pretty much asking for it. Not really that big a deal.

Anyway, MoCo stinks, but not because it's too rich. MoCo stinks for the same intangible reasons that suburban New Jersey close to NYC stinks. It's hard to describe, but it's not because it's too rich, and not because it's too "ghetto"; it just is what it is.
Quote:
I guess I meant that they're new to me -- I grew up in NoVa, left for about a decade, and then came back to the area. Hadn't heard about that gang when I lived here before.

Yes, gangs are bad, that's a given. If there are going to be gangs around, though, isn't it better for the gang members to have to hold down day jobs? At the very least, I would think it would cut down on the amount of time they have to devote to mischief.
So I'm trying to figure out the point of this post??? Lets see if I get it or not ? Is it that MoCo stinks (but poster doesn't know why?) and its ok to have gangs as long as the gang bangers hold down gainful employment its OK?

Does that sound right or AM I off my rocker !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-28-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM

The original thread got shut down. The point was that MoCo stinks. The other stuff just came up in the other thread in the course of discussion.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:22 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Quote:
The original thread got shut down. The point was that MoCo stinks. The other stuff just came up in the other thread in the course of discussion.
I think you make a career out of being unhappy. When you have some real problems, maybe I'll care.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
I think you make a career out of being unhappy. When you have some real problems, maybe I'll care.
If you don't care, why not just ignore the thread?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
Quote:

I know exactly what you mean, like when ur away, and people ask u where your from your like...ughh, do I say maryland and then go on and on about how its not just suburbs and there are places like silverspring, or do I say DC, and just leave it at that.. and your so close but so far, and its not really just suburbs but no one knows that, and its really ****ing annoying and u just want to leave....yes, good comparison...that is why we all flee to NYC and never come back except for thanksgiving

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:

Well, gee. How can one reconcile gang membership and responsibility? The two don't agree with each other. So, an employed gang member can kill more responsibly than one who isn't? How does gang employment make the victim feel any better about the person that victimized them? "Sure that gang member stabbed me in the back and stole my wallet, but he works at the local grocery store so it's cool."

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Old thread is well...old. If you think this area has a huge gang problem, try Los Angeles or Northern California where they have gangs actually fighting each other rather than just being there and being courted off by the heavy police presence in Montgomery County.

Last edited by e30is; 12-18-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland