Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 PM

110 posts, read 501,370 times

Advertisements

Took a trip down to Laurel Racetrack to look at the MARC train station since it may be a possible departure for my commute. From the Laurel Racetrack side (Laurel Racetrack road) I was able to access what seemed to be the platform. I couldn't find one "MARC" sign, it was pretty dark. There was a race today so the gate on Laure Racetrack road was open. According to the MTA website the proper entrance is from RT 1. I'll assume Columbia street is the actual street from looking at the below map.

MAP of what seems to be the Laurel Race Track MARC station platform. laurel, md - Google Maps

Only three trains between 4pm and 6pm going southbound will stop at this station only if there is someone STANDING ON THE PLATFORM WAITING or if someone request the stop. What gives?

So less than a mile down the road there is the Camden line Laurel Station which is a full service station.

What is the history of these stations?
Why isn't the Laurel Racetrack station "THE" station. It obviously has a ton of potential parking spaces?
What is the contruction going on at the Laurel Racetrack Marc station?

I couldn't find anything useful on the MTA website or the web on the history of why there are two stations so close together and why one operates with only 3 stops. Why have a train you can only get on or get off but not both. I'm missing something here!

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland