Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 AM

65 posts, read 251,619 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have the opportunity to relocate to the DC area and have been told that MD offers better quality of life than NoVa. We have 2 elementary school aged kids, we're an active family (sports, gymnastics, dance, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc), and are looking for a quaint town without allot of traffic, low crime, excellent schools. We can buy up to $600k. Here are some of the towns we were told to look at:
Annapolis, Frederick, Elliott City, Columbia, Mt. Airy.

I've been to Annapolis and loved it but don't know the other towns. What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Mount Airy might not be a bad place for you. Its not as cosmopolitan as other areas, but it is closer to the mountains where you can enjoy the outdoor sports you mention. There are many organized sports in the town and I'm sure there are gymnastics and dance. My son lives there currently and he seems to like it.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
If your commute is not an issue (to the District I mean) then the sky is the limit, espicially with the cap of $600 K. However I would be extremly cautious of spending that much money (or close to it) on a house anywhere in the USA, as the current market proved that $600 K today is barely $250 K tommorow, but to answer your questions I think you would enjoy Mt. Airy and parts of Frederick. Annapolis is nice, however during certain parts of the year (naval graduation, navy games, etc. ) it can become a "college-party" town for brief periods, and the traffic congestion also leave s a lot to be desired. Some areas are one way in one way out, however look @ Arnold and Severna Park surrounding the greater Annapolis/Broadneck area, there school system is very good, and the Girls Lacrosse Teams in the broadneck area are top in the state. Ellicot City has become built up through the years, so if you are looking for an great urban sprawl, you have it there. Good Luck!!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I can be pretty flexible with location but MT Airy does look pretty far out. Is driving in to DC quicker from the northwest? Cool Rob, you mentioned Arnold & Severna Park, are they towns around Annapolis?

Thanks,

Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCreek View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I can be pretty flexible with location but MT Airy does look pretty far out. Is driving in to DC quicker from the northwest? Cool Rob, you mentioned Arnold & Severna Park, are they towns around Annapolis?

Thanks,
Yes they are within a few miles from the city of Annapolis. And as I said earlier their schools consistently rank in the top 10 in the state in academics, Girls Lacrosse and Girls Soccer. Nice area, about 20-30 miles to DC, the area is great, but it can be pretty pricey, so bring your checkbook!! Im thinking for high $2-$300,000 K your getting a 1000 or under sq. foot house, condo or older townhouse. You can get better housing deals the further you go North County, but that is also when the quality of the area starts to detiroiate as well.

Hope that helps some!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
Where exactly (city and cross streets if possible) will you be working?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM

I'm in consulting and that changes. I would mostly need to get into downtown DC but can work remotely a couple days/week.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
If you have to commute to downtown DC from the areas you suggested, you are going to hate it. My wife had an internship on Wisconsin avenue in NW DC and commuted from our house in Rockville. Her hours were usually 9-5 and her commute was about an hour each way. This was a 17 or so mile commute mind you. Frederick is about 50 miles from DC. Mt. Airy is probably about 45, and Columbia is about 30. Check it out on google maps and compare to the places you are looking at. I think realistically, it's not going to be such a great life commuting to DC from those places. (I can't really speak for Annapolis, never really go over there on a weekday) Especially if you have an active family and you want to be involved w/ your kids, you'll be burning up a LOT of time and gasoline and kill your car driving from those places to DC. I'd really advise against living that far away.

I'm in consulting w/ the federal govt. as well (isn't everyone here?) and depending on the kind of work you do, there is a lot going on in suburban places other than downtown DC. For example, there are lots of contractor jobs in Columbia/ Ft. Meade area and more will coming w/ BRAC in the future. But options like that all depend on how firm your job plans are. Good luck in your search

Last edited by scottfs; 10-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 AM

15,425 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCreek View Post
Hi,

I have the opportunity to relocate to the DC area and have been told that MD offers better quality of life than NoVa. We have 2 elementary school aged kids, we're an active family (sports, gymnastics, dance, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc), and are looking for a quaint town without allot of traffic, low crime, excellent schools. We can buy up to $600k. Here are some of the towns we were told to look at:
Annapolis, Frederick, Elliott City, Columbia, Mt. Airy.

I've been to Annapolis and loved it but don't know the other towns. What are your opinions?
Given that Mt. Airy is too far for a commute to DC, There is really no place in the DC area that meets your criteria. For a reasonable commute and excellent schools, look in Fairfax county, Va, Arlington, Va., or Montgomery County, MD. Columbia, MD might work, but that depends on how far you want to commute.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks! Your responses are very helpful. I currently live in NC and commute to Boston to work. Fortunately, I get to work from home at least 1 week/month. Anything getting me home each night will be better than the current situation. We have also thought of the Leesburg, VA area. We don't want to be in too much sprawl - would prefer to be close to the amenities it brings but not in it.

I did look at Mt. Airy and it looked pretty far. The MD side offers my wife the ability to work at John Hopkins too. I'll look into the Columbia area. Any idea what the population of Columbia is?

Thanks Again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland