Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,558 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a mid-30s, young professional male relocating to MD from PA/NJ (Philadelphia) to accept a position in our Beltsville office. I am looking for some recommendations on which areas to look into moving to. Hoping to be 30 mins from the office, but can go with a 45 min commute if it's worth it.

Some of the things I am looking for:

1) A bustling mid/upper income suburban area with decent shopping.

2) I will be renting. I prefer newer, more modern buildings, but affordable & not over-priced. No highrises though.

3) Trendy with a good adult singles scene, decent restaurants & pubs. Not like a college campus, more along the lines of an after work happy hour.

Some notable local areas in PA/NJ that you may be familiar with, that are right along the lines of what I am looking for...

Cherry Hill, NJ
Washington Twp, NJ
Conshohocken, PA
Willow Grove, PA
Abington, PA

A co-worker recommended Columbia, but when I drove through it was at night & I was in a hurry, so I didn't really get a good feel.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,928,608 times
Columbia appears to fit the bill, but I don't think it has an adult singles scene. Check into Bethesda, which is located in Montgomery County, MD, just outside Washington, DC. Rockville, which is just north of Bethesda, may be a decent alternative.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,059 times
Bethesda I think is more of a Family area. I think Bethesda is for those who have children and ready to settle down so you might not find lots of single people their.

I would try Washington DC. Maybe U street NW,China Town,Takoma Park,Silver Spring.

If I was single I would be living in DC. Majority of single people do not live in the suburbs. You need the city.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,928,608 times
Bethesda has changed a lot in the last decade. Many college-educated singles and plenty of restaurants and some bars.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM

142 posts, read 537,856 times
Bethesda, Tacoma Park, Rockville, Silver Spring. Columbia is for families; these places are much more mixed. DC is for people in their early 20's.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 12,885 times
Not familiar with any of the towns you listed as comparison but if you are looking for adult scenes such as bar/lounges etc. Bethesda is a great spot however, rents run $1500 and up for studio apartments, 1bdr condos start in the high 400k. Silver Spring has a nice downtown area with bars and lounges movie theater etc. But the streets are sometimes over run with unruly teens. There are many DC neighborhoods that would be easily accessible to Beltsville via metro such as Columbia Heights, U Street Corridor, Petworth all of which are affordable and bustling with nightlife. Other options are Penn Quarter, Atlas District, Adams Morgan.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,045 times
I suggest DC as well, and traffic shouldn't be so bad since you would be driving against traffic both ways, plus DC has that "vibe" I think your searching for. Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Coming from PA's own Montgomery County, Rockville reminds me of Abington/Jenkintown/Willow Grove on steroids. So you may appreciate that aspect. However, I never saw that area as having much of an adult singles scene. That said, if you can find a place on Rockville Pike near the Town Center then you might be content there. It's unfortunate that you have to commute to Beltsville as there would be places across the Potomac to consider as well.

Oh... and "affordable and over-priced" will be a relative term here in the DC metro. Prepare for a sticker shock of 25-50% more than what you'd pay in rent back in the Philly area. If you find an apartment for less than $1000 west of Columbia, there may be an unfortunate reason for that.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Hmm, Rockville=Abington/Jenkintown/Willow Grove. I will have to check it out. Plus, if I am not mistaken, it is not too far from Bethesda where I can grab some nightlife.

Guess Cherry Hill is a one of a kind.

Thanks for the input so far...

Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks Tone509 & Shannobanano for recommending Rockville! I actually took a run out there last night & really liked the suburban/urban vibe. Tone you were dead on with Rockville Pike comparing to Rte 611 on steroids. This is exactly what I was looking for! "Downtown" Rockville reminded me of "Downtown" West Chester a bit. I actually took a look at a an apartment complex in the Fallsgrove area & hit the Starbucks in the Fallsgrove shopping plaza which was right around the corner, big plus. I then took a run down Rockville Pike & hit a local bar/restaurant & had some good conversation & exchanged numbers with an attractive waitress.... The ride out was something that annoyed me a bit as I left from work & sat in some traffic along Veirns Mill Rd, but I think I can find a better way once I learn the area. I don't see the commute into work being a problem as I leave at @ 6-6:15am & there wouldn't be too much of an issue taking 270 to 495 to Rte 1 in the morning & then the back roads home. Again, thank you very much as this was exactly what I was looking for. Now to find an apartment within my budget. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some good classifieds, other than the generic online sites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland