Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 PM

110 posts, read 501,216 times

Advertisements

Just curious on how residents feel.

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 02:44 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,329 times
Will the slots only be in Laurel or other areas?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,922,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Will the slots only be in Laurel or other areas?
I think the counties were:

Cecil
Alleghany
Anne Arundel
Worchester
Baltimore City

Oh and to the OP, I don't gamble, and the revenue is SUPPOSED to go to education, so it seems like a good deal to me, only time will tell though!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 AM

I hope they do not expand the slot machines into other counties.
The area the slot machine will be in Laurel already have prostitution issues so I hope the slot machines does not make it worst.
The hotel at the corner of Russett is a big time prostitution area. Which is down the street from the Delta Bingo and Where the slots will be.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 AM

83 posts, read 323,815 times
I'm not thrilled with the slot machines. I don't trust the politicians about them saying the money will go toward education. Ok that money will go toward education and, they'll spend money they would've spent on education on something else. I think it was a way for them to get more money without having to take any political heat for it.

Iscalder, any word on the hotel they're suppose to build across from the racetrack on Brockbridge Road? They've had the land cleared for months but, I haven't seen them start building anything in there. Or is that land going to be used for home like the ones they're starting on Whiskey Bottom Road across from where the hotel is/was going to be? Just curious.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM

311 posts, read 1,380,607 times
Deleted because I could not verify the information I was going to post.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,874,122 times
The slot revenues will go to education like the tobbaco settlement funds were supposed to be set aside for future victims of tobacco-related illnesses.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 PM

460 posts, read 1,870,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
I hope they do not expand the slot machines into other counties.
The area the slot machine will be in Laurel already have prostitution issues so I hope the slot machines does not make it worst.
The hotel at the corner of Russett is a big time prostitution area. Which is down the street from the Delta Bingo and Where the slots will be.
Are the slots at the Laurel Racetrack or elsewhere up Rt.198 headed towards Russett/Ft. Meade?

Actually, where are the prostitution areas of Laurel? Not because I want to frequent them (!), but because I am moving there. . .

Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 PM

The hotel right at the Russett entrance. I think the hotel is comfort inn. It was on the news that the police did a raid but I saw this couple weeks ago. It was two girls working the corner. When I got to my mom I mentioned to her if she knew about the prostitution and she said yes so I guess others in the community also know.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 PM

2,030 posts, read 4,523,491 times
I don't think you need to worry about prostitution in Laurel. Its not organized and its not everywhere. The area mentioned does have some cheaper, older motels that probably do see a little more action than other areas. I've seen a girl or two "loitering" over the years, but most of them look like desperate homeless people. I've lived in Laurel for the last 13 years and prostitution is not something Laurel is known for. What little there is is probably because of the race track. With slots coming, who knows? It might become something more and we locals might start seeing it hearing about it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland