Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 AM

42 posts, read 115,656 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a couple of defense contractors working in Dahlgren, VA with a 6 y.o. daughter. We currently commute 75 minutes to work primarily due to good schools here in Hanover Co., VA just outside of Richmond. We want to live closer to work, build a home, and be in a great school district which limits our options; so one options we've considered is Calvert County, MD. One weekend our time trial showed us it was about 45 minutes to the naval base in Dahlgren which is acceptable (we have no VA options meeting our goals that are any closer). We also met w/ a rep from Kaine Homes who told us about a new neighborhood, College Station, going up in Barstow behind the college. Here are our questions -

- The schools in the Barstow area appear to be only average by Calvert Co. standards. We were told that they are building a new ES in that area and re-modeling the MS and HS. We are wondering - are these still great schools being that this is a great district overall? Any particular insight about the schools our daughter would attend?

- If we lived in Barstow, what is the most convenient area in terms of shopping beyond Target, Walmart, etc.? Waldorf? Annapolis?

- We are a mixed Caucasian/Filipino family. Any major problems w/ racism?

- Is there much for kids to do in this area? Parks? Museums? How about activities for the whole family - farmer's market, festivals?

- We would have to cross 2 bridges to get into work. Do these bridges shut down very often due to weather, crashes, etc.?

- Finally, anyone have any idea about problems w/ living in MD and working in VA, tax issues, etc?

Thanks all! I look forward to your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklex View Post
Hi,

We are a couple of defense contractors working in Dahlgren, VA with a 6 y.o. daughter. We currently commute 75 minutes to work primarily due to good schools here in Hanover Co., VA just outside of Richmond. We want to live closer to work, build a home, and be in a great school district which limits our options; so one options we've considered is Calvert County, MD. One weekend our time trial showed us it was about 45 minutes to the naval base in Dahlgren which is acceptable (we have no VA options meeting our goals that are any closer). We also met w/ a rep from Kaine Homes who told us about a new neighborhood, College Station, going up in Barstow behind the college. Here are our questions -

- The schools in the Barstow area appear to be only average by Calvert Co. standards. We were told that they are building a new ES in that area and re-modeling the MS and HS. We are wondering - are these still great schools being that this is a great district overall? Any particular insight about the schools our daughter would attend?

- If we lived in Barstow, what is the most convenient area in terms of shopping beyond Target, Walmart, etc.? Waldorf? Annapolis?

- We are a mixed Caucasian/Filipino family. Any major problems w/ racism?

- Is there much for kids to do in this area? Parks? Museums? How about activities for the whole family - farmer's market, festivals?

- We would have to cross 2 bridges to get into work. Do these bridges shut down very often due to weather, crashes, etc.?

- Finally, anyone have any idea about problems w/ living in MD and working in VA, tax issues, etc?

Thanks all! I look forward to your responses

Hi

I can't answer all your questions , but I can comment on a few. My brother has lived in Northern Calvert Co. and has been raising his family there since the early Nineties and has two teenage girls who love there schools and are being prepared nicely for higher education. They live in the Chesapeake Beach , North Beach Area. I would have to say that the schools you are talking about in Barstow are probably ok as well. Calvert Co , especially the Northern part is alot better school wise.

If you lived in Northern Calvert , then Annapolis over Waldorf would be the place I would do any major shopping other than Target or grocery shopping. Prince Fredrick or Dunkirk should be fine for your local shopping .

In this day and age I don't believe that racism in Calvert Co. is much of an issue anymore IMO. Filipino's I think are very much respected anywhere in American society because there is such a large Filipino population in America . The Filipino people have done so much to advance America in so many ways especially in there "military service" to there country America . I wouldn't worry about your daughter fitting in at all.

As far as community activities I think the area would be like anywhere else but you have to go out and look for it. My brothers girls were very involved with church , school activities/sports , local boys and girls club playing soccer and girls softball.

Also as far a museums and such , remember that DC is still a short drive away for all the museums you'd ever want. Baltimore's Inner Harbor is also a very nice place to visit especially in warmer weather.

I hope I've answered some of your questions and good luck in your search.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM

311 posts, read 1,386,197 times
I live in Southern Maryland and visit my family in Richmond, VA often. I drive through Hanover County when I travel to Richmond, and I also know a lot of people who live in Hanover County. Hanover is a very nice area, as you know. I really think you will be disappointed moving from Hanover to Calvert County (any county in Maryland, really). The dynamic is just not the same at all. Have you checked out King George, VA? I don't personally know anyone who lives there, but the area seems nice.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,514 times
Why not go for King George and be close to your job and schools are pretty good there, well at least King George and Sealston are from what I have seen and that area of VA is cheaper in car insurance, taxes, gas - less crime too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland