U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,622,422 times
Default Walking distance, Bethesda metro station

We're bored and thinking of having a little adventure... taking the red line metro and just getting off at a random stop somewhere near the end of the line to see what's there. A little field trip, you might say.

However, I don't know much about the stops in Maryland. Just taking a wild guess I'd say we should get off at Bethesda if we want to find some interesting things within walking distance of the metro station.

What do you think? Am I way off? Is there another red-line stop you'd recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,758,465 times
Normie, the red line has a buch of good stops. Bethesda is definitely walking distance to downtown Bethesda, but you could also do Dupont Circle, or Cleveland Park for some great eateries, Woodley for the zoo, etc. That whole corridor is pretty fun.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,287,785 times
In Maryland on the Red Line, I'd suggest Friendship Heights (on the DC/MD line), Bethesda, and Rockville on the western branch and Silver Spring and perhaps Wheaton on the eastern branch. Out of those stops, I'd rank Bethesda first, Silver Spring second, and Rockville third (slightly ahead of Friendship Heights).

There are also some things to check out near White Flint, Twinbrook (both western branch), and a lesser degree Glenmont, though the development near all 3 stations tends to be commercial strip development. Both White Flint and Twinbrook (as well as Friendship Heights, Bethesda, and Rockville) are near Wisconsin Avenue/Rockville Pike (aka MD 355) and White Flint is near the eponymously named mall.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,622,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Normie, the red line has a buch of good stops. Bethesda is definitely walking distance to downtown Bethesda, but you could also do Dupont Circle, or Cleveland Park for some great eateries, Woodley for the zoo, etc. That whole corridor is pretty fun.
Great--so what are some fun things to do in downtown Bethesda? Things that are no more than 1 mile from the metro (maybe two miles if it's really great).

Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM

106 posts, read 300,469 times
Great restaurants. If you get off at Grosevnor or White Flint you can walk to the Strathmore. I don't know what exhibits are there now but I am sure you can find out from their website.

Have fun

Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,758,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Great--so what are some fun things to do in downtown Bethesda?
Probably like Marilyn said...eat. Lots of restaurants to pick from. We usually just walk around and see what strikes our fancy. I'm sure there's other entertainment too [eg. theater]. A while back we used to meet up with friends @ Rockbottom Brewery, although not so much anymore. They have a decent bar, and some pool tables upstairs, if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 44,817 times
My favorite restaurant is in Bethesda - Houston's Restuarant. Just a couple of blocks from the metro. The hawaiin steak is the best!!! Also, try the traditional salad with butter milk garlic.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM

605 posts, read 474,482 times
There are some great restaurants there.

If you go to where the buses enter the station, turn left, and go south a few blocks on Woodmont you will hit a row of restaurants. If you turn right on Elm Street and go past the Baja Fresh you can visit the new pedestrian mall. Across the street is a park with playground and the library. If you continue on Woodmont without turning on Elm, you will end up near the Barnes and Noble--there are the Bethesda Row cinemas there and Giffords ice cream. There are also tons of restaurants there.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,287,785 times
The following site should be helpful:

Downtown Bethesda website

The Metro station is located at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue (MD 355), East West Highway, and Georgetown Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland