U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2006, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,906 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Maryland in August to begin our PhDs at the University of Maryland at College Park. Having never lived in the area, we're trying to determine where to look for an apartment (for about 6 mos) and subsequently a condo to buy. I've read mixed reviews about areas around College Park (e.g., the Hyattsville thread below), and am unsure about how to proceed.

If it helps recommending areas within our budget, we're interested in a monthly rent of no more than $1300 (though preferably around $1100) for a 1BR/1BA apartment of about 700-900 sq ft.

For a little background on us, I'm a white American and she's Korean. We're both liberal and very comfortable in multi-ethnic communities, with neighborhood safety and proximity to the Metro priorities. We'd also prefer to be close to the university, but we do have a car and are willing to venture away (up to 15 miles?) if we can get a nicer/safer place within our budget.

One other note. As I mentioned, we'll be in the market for a condo soon after arriving and would like to find a 1BR/1BA condo for less than $175,000 (again, though, preferably cheaper - around $150K). If anyone has any suggestions, we'd appreciate them as well. Same living conditions apply for both.

Thanks now for any advice you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 11:58 AM

262 posts, read 1,573,027 times
Post brief reply

Try Silver Spring for renting (ethnically/culturally diverse with great restaurants, Metro proximity, pretty safe) and Laurel for buying (About 10 miles from CP, established neighborhoods, some areas a little sketchy). See my threads on each city within the MD forum. Finding anything for purchase under $200K is tough but Laurel Lakes has a few neighborhoods with decent condos in that range.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM

27 posts, read 66,788 times
It is unfortuante but the area surrounding College Park is not great and neither are the apartments that are there. There is one off route 1 near the Beltway that is "new" (6 or so years old) but expensive (remember lokoing at it when it first opened but as poor college students couldn't afford it) We lived there for school as well. If you live in Greenbelt do not live in Springhill Lake... Greenbelt overall isn't horible but it's the best area either.

We lived in Seven Springs and the apartment complex is horrible - run down, poor management. I heard they did some improvements but wouldn't count on a lot... the rent IMO was too high for that dump but they get away with it because it's near the school.

Is it possible for you to stay in "campus" housing - like apartments used by the university and only lets students stay in?

Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM

158 posts, read 607,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montco78
Is it possible for you to stay in "campus" housing - like apartments used by the university and only lets students stay in?
I was going to recommend the same thing. I'm not sure how it works for PhD students at UMD, but at Penn they supplied student housing. If you chose to go off-campus, they also gave a stipend for that.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 AM

6 posts, read 29,700 times
there is no grad student housing (dorms) at UMD. There is Graduate Hills and Gardens but it's privately run.

But yeah, the area around UMD is pretty bad. Just don't venture out late and your odds are better.

try this
http://www.union.umd.edu/GH/basic_ne...e_housing.html

and look at the umd police blotter for info.
http://www.umpd.umd.edu/police_support_services_public_crime_alert.cfm (broken link)

you'll see that *most* are people out late walking around

then again this one was at 6:30am
http://www.umpd.umd.edu/police_suppo...nt2.cfm?id=507

By the way there is some Korean town like area in northern Virgina (near falls church I think). I forgot where exactly but maybe somebody will chime in with the name.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,179,628 times
Annandale, VA has a huge number of Korean businesses but it does not have a large Korean population. The Koreans live all throughout the Northern Virginia area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland