Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times

Advertisements

Don't expect too much...I have had better Chinese food in Raleigh, NC (!) and in Atlanta, GA than here so far--obviously haven't hit the right places, but have been going out mostly in Silver Spring. Will have to try some of the listed places in Rockville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockvillain View Post
In any event, even though we've recently arrived from the NY area, we're not total foodies. And we hear that the Thai and Vietnamese options are probably better in the DC area than in Westchester....
It's said that DC has 'great' Thai and 'good' Szechuan, but I find the latter to be a bit of a stretch. Vietnamese, especially the Pho places in NoVa are quite popular. I remember eating at a Vietnamese place in Hong Kong and making an offhand remark about how it wasn't as good as NoVa and the waiter came up to me (in perfect English) and agreed--he was raised in Arlington and went back to Asia a few years ago.

There is an absolute revolution going on in China right now with food. Decent, interesting and tasteful dishes served in a trendy, fashionable and *CLEAN* restaurant A far cry against what was going even 10 years ago. Unfortunately most US Chinese restaurants, even the authentic ones, are stuck in the rut of 'dirty floors', 'a few cheap Chinese-ish decorations on the wall' and 'so-so food'. Even the places people swear by 'it's a dive, but it's great' have failed to impress, having maybe one or two items out of a family dinner order of say five entrees worth muster.

In a way, the Thai places have caught on more to what is going on. Many of the Thai places are quite trendy and clean pulling in more than just the Thai diners but also the locals who want to try something but not lose their appetite the moment they walk in the door.

Anyway, lots of discussion about various places on Yelp. Check out the reviews before hitting some places to spare you the misery or alert you to something new.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
My favorite Chinese restaurants in Rockville are both vegetarian, Yaun-Fu and Vegatable Garden.

Here's the reviews:

Yuan Fu Vegetarian Restaurant in Rockville, MD: Reviews and details on washingtonpost.com

The Vegetable Garden - Rockville, MD 20852

Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 AM

48 posts, read 101,536 times
Full Key in Wheaton is excellent and authentic. Must try the peppered beef in sizzling pot. Also in Falls Church Peking Duck Gourmet is pretty good for the duck.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 45,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localcall View Post
I can't imagine you finding better Chinese restaurants here than in New York, but the best one I have found in Rockville is the Seven Seas restaurant. A little hard to find, but wow... they have really good food. You can also try A&J restaurant if you want authentic Taiwanese food, but as I remember it, they only take cash so be aware of that if you go there.
A&J isn't Taiwanese food. It's Chinese food.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 PM

202 posts, read 347,362 times
China Gourmet in Kensington on Connecticut ave across from Kaiser Permenate.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
Paul Kee in Wheaton has my vote as does Joe's Noodles in Rockville.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:26 PM

48 posts, read 101,536 times
How about dimsum?? Where do u get good dimsum? I've been to chinatown and tried a couple of places with disappoontment. Nothing like manhattan.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepick View Post
How about dimsum?? Where do u get good dimsum? I've been to chinatown and tried a couple of places with disappoontment. Nothing like manhattan.
Silver Fountain in Wheaton has my vote.

See Our DC Metro Dim Sum list - Silver Spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland