Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM

146 posts, read 449,174 times

Advertisements

What a disaster I had tonight. I'm just counting my lucky stars that nothing worse happened...because, believe me, it's possible.
Tonight, I decided to take a drive to the idyllic countryside in MD northwest of DC (near Potomac/Germantown/Sugarloaf Mountain, for those in the area) to escape from DC and enjoy the scenery (yes, even at nighttime, it's beautiful there). Well, I enjoyed the countryside and was about to head back, stopping for gas on the way in Potomac, since my car was running low on gas (one bar, from four-five at the beginning). When I arrived to the downtown area of Potomac, much to my dismay, the two gas stations were closed! It was around 1am at that time...and the last time I went through Potomac, both stations were open 24 hours. I had a really bad feeling, because I didn't know where the next gas station was (I've been in the area, and there weren't any near Potomac...silly I know), and my gas was really low, and the orange warning light was blinking.

Not wanting to take a risk and end up stranded in the middle of the road (and admittedly feeling a bit panicky), I opted to call the local police and ask that they come help me out by either taking me to their station to pump some gas, or taking me to an open gas station. (In hindsight, I know I should have planned better, gotten gas earlier, etc etc - but I really didn't realize both gas stations would be closed). I parked my car at the Safeway lot and called them using my pager and relay service. The receptionist taking my call was very nice and polite, and she assured me a police officer would be on his way shortly. She also acknowledged the two stations' closure, citing the economy as the reason both were no longer providing 24-hour service. A police cruiser showed up within 15 minutes, and the policeman took me on a long drive to the gas station (20 minutes drive...not kidding). It was my first time ever being in the "jailseat" - kind of a surreal experience. When we arrived to the gas station, I bought a gas can and filled it up. The policeman then took me back to the Safeway lot, and after thanking him, he took off. I then struggled with the gas can... I realized I had no clue how to work it. The instructions were there, but I felt lost, and the parts didn't feel like they came together. My fingers and hands, and even clothes, became smudged with gas. Ugh! (Even after a shower, I still smell a bit like gas, and my clothes are currently in the wash right now - the second cycle, actually. That bad, yea.)

This is when I began to panic really badly. The gas was right there, and I couldn't even figure out how to open the can/work it. I felt like a total dunce! I called the police station again, and they sent the same officer out. He helped me fill my car up, and feeling embarrassed, I left, driving quickly (at that point, it was 3am) and just blindly looking for the next possible gas station - my car was still at 1 bar of gas - and I found one about 20 minutes down the road. Words cannot explain how incredibly relieved I was to have found a gas station. I filled up the car, vowing to never go through this again. After that, I asked the cashier for a map, because I wasn't sure of the fastest way to go back into DC. He had a hard time understanding me, and tried to sell me a map. Feeling disgusted with his lack of help and professionalism, I just backtracked my steps, was on 495, and back into DC in no time. Guess what the happy ending was? As I parked my Zipcar back in the space, I accidentally rear-ended the campus police car! Thank goodness no damage or even any scratches at all... still, the whole night gave me a really bad vibe.

I'm just glad I'm OK, but I guess I feel shook up and somewhat disappointed in myself... I guess in a way, I don't handle emergencies well, and I panic quickly. I felt so helpless, and I guess the unpredictability of it all also shook me up somewhat. At least I didn't get into a major accident.

Just wanted to rant... thanks for listening.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-07-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: leave out promos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
If you went through Potomac then you kind of went out of the way. Glad you made it. Next time bring your own map and try to use main roads. Always fill up before leaving a built up area when going to an unknown area. Memorize where the gas stations are as you are on the way out so that when you come back you know where to go. Just some tips.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM

146 posts, read 449,174 times
True dat. However, I used the main road in Potomac (River Road), and I thought Potomac was urban (the outskirts of Potomac becoming suburban, then rural). I guess I was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you went through Potomac then you kind of went out of the way. Glad you made it. Next time bring your own map and try to use main roads. Always fill up before leaving a built up area when going to an unknown area. Memorize where the gas stations are as you are on the way out so that when you come back you know where to go. Just some tips.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Potomac is not really urban, IMHO. Germantown would likely have 24 hour stations and is less distance from Sugar Loaf Mountain.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM

205 posts, read 824,217 times
Just for future reference, on most American vehicles empty does not really mean empty. There's normally an extra gallon or three depending on the make and model.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
Just for future reference, on most American vehicles empty does not really mean empty. There's normally an extra gallon or three depending on the make and model.
I thought about mentioning that, but even with that would he have had enough to make it to the next gas station? I note that he is unfamiliar with the area.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Potomac is not really urban, IMHO. Germantown would likely have 24 hour stations and is less distance from Sugar Loaf Mountain.
It's amazing that some parts of MD labelled "Germantown" seemed to be in Potomac on a map.

The gas stations in Potomac Village are pricey...

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
It's amazing that some parts of MD labelled "Germantown" seemed to be in Potomac on a map.
Which map? Are you confusing Potomac with North Potomac? The unincorporated areas around here do get confusing due to lack of clear boundaries and the way the Post Office names areas.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Which map? Are you confusing Potomac with North Potomac? The unincorporated areas around here do get confusing due to lack of clear boundaries and the way the Post Office names areas.
The end of Seneca where it meets River Rd - is that really Germantown or Potomac?

Map of 15101 Seneca Rd Germantown, MD by MapQuest

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM

703 posts, read 2,941,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
The end of Seneca where it meets River Rd - is that really Germantown or Potomac?

Map of 15101 Seneca Rd Germantown, MD by MapQuest
Definitely really Potomac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland