Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 PM

165 posts, read 926,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
As far as Fairfax vs. Howard counties go, one thing you should realize is the fact that schools in the eastern sections of Fairfax County (i.e. those with the "easiest" commutes to AAF) are generally the worst in the system. That's not to say they're bad per se, but within the Fairfax County Public School system, these are not the best regarded schools, so if you're leaning towards Fairfax over Howard solely for the schools, I think the fact of the matter is that Howard County will provide just as good, more likely better, schools within the same commute that Fairfax will offer.
I lived in Centreville and worked in Fairfax. That place seemed expensive for nothing to me (same house I built in Southern MD was about 460k more in Fairfax in 2001). The schools I've never heard were that wonderful there.

I consider Howard County to be one of the best in the state of Maryland and I think there's many posts in this forum to help justify that opinion. I wouldn't consider Fairfax in the same league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleblazer View Post
I lived in Centreville and worked in Fairfax. That place seemed expensive for nothing to me (same house I built in Southern MD was about 460k more in Fairfax in 2001). The schools I've never heard were that wonderful there.

I consider Howard County to be one of the best in the state of Maryland and I think there's many posts in this forum to help justify that opinion. I wouldn't consider Fairfax in the same league.
Yep, I personally find Fairfax County overrated and don't think the positives warrant putting up with the insane traffic and cost of living. I'd choose Howard County over it. The only advantage I see to Fairfax over Howard is in it being closer (in some spots) to DC and many employment hubs (i.e. government jobs in DC, high-tech corridor at Dulles, etc.).

Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 153,420 times
I definetly would not recommend Fairfax County, especially if you are looking for a diverse place to live. Fairfax County is highly overrated and their school system isn't as good as everyone touts. Montgomery County and Howard County in Maryland have 2 of the best school systems in the country, and our way better than Fairfax County. However, Commuting from Montgomery or Howard to Andrew's AFB will definetly take at least 40 to 50 minutes-- and thats on a good day. I would recommend Anne Arundel County, Calvert County, or Charles County, as they all have a 30 minute commute to Andrew's AFB and all have good school systems. Charles is the commercial center of Southern Maryland with the St. Charles Town Center Mall in Waldorf and the schools are also good. There is also a lot of development in that area. Good Luck in your search.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
What about Andrews AFB itself? Do they still even have schools? They use to. I heard there schools were always ranked high with a great mixture of students from all over the country.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 23,984 times
Default Catholic schools

I too will be moving to Andrews this summer. I'm looking for some advice on Catholic schools (High School & Elementary) within commuting distance of the base. Any suggestions?

hogie

Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
Here are links to Catholic schools near Andrews. The high schools I know of are a little farther out.

St. Philip the Apostle School

St John the Evangelist Catholic Elementary School Clinton, MD

St. Mary's Catholic Church of Piscataway, Maryland (http://www.stmaryspiscataway.org/school.htm - broken link)

About.com: http://pony.bmhs.org/

About.com: http://www.setonhs.org/

Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM

127 posts, read 433,425 times
I used to be stationed at Andrews afb but we lived on base, I think since then most people don't live on base anymore, they were shutting down alot of the housing. If I was still there I'd probably live somewhere in between there and waldorf or in Waldorf.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM

127 posts, read 433,425 times
Oh and no there are no schools on base there, my kids at the time were in elementary and they went to Francis t eveans right outside the back gate but we didn't care for the schools so asked to get transferred out of there.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 23,984 times
Default tnx

tnx. All of the schools look nice but it is hard to get an idea of the neighbourhood without being there. By the way, my 12 year old son's middle school here goes from grade 7-9 and includes a robust athletics program, shop classes, home economics and music in addition to the core academics. It appears that this kind of school is not available in DC...or am I mistaken?

hogie

Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,067 times
I would agree with Tn _dreamin...I also lived on Andrews AFB and Waldorf is probably the closest and the most diverse.....There are a few areas in Va... ie. Alexandria, Woodbridge, Lorton, Stafford,(that are decently priced with great schools my neice attends one) however, the bridge can be a pain to cross when you are coming and going.......I WOULD HIGHLY recommend not living on base, like someone had mentioned they have a lot of old houses That were "suppose" to get torn down but never did and so you could end up living in one of them and as far as im concerned its not worth your BAH...especially when your neighbor is paying the same for a brand new house that doesn't have an ant problem or is falling apart!!! Just a few things you should keep in mind when moving there.....DON'T SETTLE FOR BASE HOUSING THEY REALLY SUCK ON ANDREWS AFB!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland