Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,109 times

Advertisements

We are looking into different high school in Montgomery County. We are looking into 4 different choices. Whitman, BCC, Churchill and Walter Johnson. How do they compare with each other ? My daughter wants to do major in science program later on. Does any one has any clue about how many students on an average goes to IVY league colleges from these schools?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 PM

6,583 posts, read 11,270,026 times
I think you'll find they are all up there... one will surpass the others 1 year.. and vice versa the next with regards to which one is the best. Rankings in magazine will actually put R. Montgomery higher (IB Program). You can also throw Wootton in there as well.

As viking alum myself - the pros is that the families/kids are very involved - so the programs are top notch. The cons.... helicopter parenting. Lots of pressure on the kids. Look for a book called "overachievers" by Robbins. Robbins was a Whitman grad and her book really paints a good picture of what life is like at these high schools.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM

106 posts, read 442,024 times
Any of these schools are fabulous. They are all ranked, along with Wooton in the top 100 nationally. If your daughters interest is in Science I would make an appointment to speak with the head of science at each of the schools and see what they each offer. The curriculum is going to be the same at all of the schools so the difference is going to be in the teaching staff and the latitude the schools allow the teachers to be creative in their teaching.

As far as Ivy league placement you might be able to get that information from the counselors that help kids with college placement. I am sure they keep those statistics so they can have bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland