Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 PM

149 posts, read 494,949 times

Advertisements

Is it safe for a single female in her mid 20s to live there?

I will be working in baltimore so this is the best place for me to live to minimize my commute. I do not want to live in baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,880,190 times
Neither location is like Westwood but are generally safe, if you avoid low rent apts. But I don't think MD graduates stick around College Park after graduation. Many end up living in Baltimore, which is a fun city of singles in their mid-20s.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 PM

99 posts, read 503,722 times
If you are working in Baltimore why not live closer to there? Try looking in Anne Arundel County. Many more great places to live.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,886 times
College Park is okay but Greenbelt has its pockets of bad (springhill lake and berwyn heights). I lived in Greenbelt for 3 yrs and college park for 4 yrs (I graduated from Univ. of Md) there are a lot of people that live in College Park. I am not going to lie, it is a college town

Old 08-03-2009, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 12,475 times
Default Your experience

Hi!

I know you posted a year ago, but I am in the same boat as you right now and I wanted to see where you ended up living and how the commute was. I have a new job in Baltimore, but I dread the thought of living there. I prefer to live closer to DC where my friends and the nightlife is. I am not sure how bad the commute is though, for ex. from Silver Spring to Baltimore Inner Harbor and if it's worth it to live so far from work.

Do you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks a lot,
Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
Is it safe for a single female in her mid 20s to live there?

I will be working in baltimore so this is the best place for me to live to minimize my commute. I do not want to live in baltimore.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by london923 View Post
College Park is okay but Greenbelt has its pockets of bad (springhill lake and berwyn heights). I lived in Greenbelt for 3 yrs and college park for 4 yrs (I graduated from Univ. of Md) there are a lot of people that live in College Park. I am not going to lie, it is a college town
THis surprises me to hear that Berwyn Heights is a pocket of bad. (Not that I'd know, but I thought it was mostly just filled with residential sfh's?)

Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,953,260 times
Why not move in the Baltimore suburbs? Much cheaper and closer to your work.

College Park is a DC suburb. And, while not terrible, it isn't that great either. Prince George's County is generally the least desirable DC-area county, with the highest crime, worst retail, sub-par schools, etc.

College Park is above-average for the county, but below-average for the metro.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,650,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
THis surprises me to hear that Berwyn Heights is a pocket of bad. (Not that I'd know, but I thought it was mostly just filled with residential sfh's?)
Berwyn Heights is mostly SFH and it is not bad at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM

86 posts, read 241,028 times
a natural midpoint for dc and baltimore is columbia. it's not too far from either location and is generally a desirable area with a good school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland