Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 49,603 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband may relocate to Greenbelt for his job. From what I'm reading in a lot of posts, we want to stay away from Prince George's County (yes, I realize there are some nice parts). Since we have 3 kids (9, 6 & 3), quality public schools are a top priority (can't afford private). Of course safety is another concern, so advice on areas w/ low/minimal crime would be appreciated. We have lived in MN most of our lives & have never even been to the east coast, so I welcome any advice.

We are looking to buy a 4 br single family home where houses are not right on top of each other (1/2 - 1+ acres would be ideal...something a little more rural would be great, but I realize that's not too realistic). Our price range is $450-500K. I'd prefer a newer home, but would consider an older construction if it has been updated etc. Basically, we want an area that's great for raising a family.

We wouldn't want any more than a 30-45 min. commute time, but may consider a longer commute for the right area. If you suggest a county, could you please expand by telling me what areas w/in a county would fit our criteria? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM

48 posts, read 169,255 times
Suggest you get the actual statistics on the schools versus the anecdotal comments on-line. The Greenbelt schools in particular are pretty good...Eleanor Roosevelt HS is one of the best...has an outstanding science and tech program the students from all over the county have to compete for admission. The feeder schools are pretty good It will be difficult to find a 4 bed room house on 1/2 or 1 acre lot with a 30-45 minute commute. Even with the drop in the realestate market, finding your criteria is not going to be easy. I hope it all works out for you and your family.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 AM

99 posts, read 505,265 times
don't be swayed. stick to your guns. but check out schooldigger.com and greatschools.net I personally recommend looking in Arnold, Severna Park, and Cape St. Claire. Any place that feeds into Broadneck High School or Severna Park High is a good choice. Don't get drug into an argument over PG County not being "all bad".

Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
"From what I'm reading in a lot of posts, we want to stay away from Prince George's County (yes, I realize there are some nice parts)."

This comment made by OP would likely provoke defensive commentary from those who don't mind and even like living in PG. That's because it sounds like a dig. All she had to do was state the areas in which she preferred to live, instead of being so clear that she wanted no part of PG. That is her choice and preference, fine. So why not focus on what you do want as opposed to what you don't want? That way, you don't have to worry about being "swayed."

Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM

Thank you hedgie & mbieber1029 for your tips. I have heard great things about Eleanor Roosevelt HS, which I will definitely take into consideration. Arnold, Severna Park & Cape St. Claire do seem nice & it helps to hear about specific schools, so thanks again! It's definitely a whole different ball game out there...compared to MN!

Bowian, while this possible relocation is stressful enough w/out having to defend myself, I feel I have to. I was very clear on what we do want, so I'm not the one here who is focused on what we don't want. As I stated, I'm not at all familiar w/ Maryland nor the east coast, which is why I didn't list any specific areas of interest yet. I just wanted to avoid getting a lot of info. about Prince George's county since I have done some research on the area & have a friend who teaches there. We may very well fall in love w/ Prince George's County once we get there, but I'd also like some feedback on the surrounding counties & areas that are in close enough proximity to Greenbelt. You're right, though, in that it is my choice where we do & don't want to live.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Look into Odenton, MD (anne arundel county). here is an example of houses with price range 400-500k on Realtor.com, almost a full acre built in 1995.
MLS ID #AA6844048

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Thank you - it's nice to see there are possibilities! I'm also wondering if Northern Virginia would be something for us to consider. How would the commute be to Greenbelt (w/ kids, I'd like to keep the commute time reasonable)? Is it more affordable, safe etc.?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lellie148 View Post
Thank you - it's nice to see there are possibilities! I'm also wondering if Northern Virginia would be something for us to consider. How would the commute be to Greenbelt (w/ kids, I'd like to keep the commute time reasonable)? Is it more affordable, safe etc.?
A nightmare!!

Northern VA or MD you will find the prices and crime rates/safety are comparable. Virginia has extra yearly taxes than Maryland does, I think along the line of automobile and property taxes.

In both states you will have desirable and non desirable areas which in turn will affect house prices.

Commuting from VA to MD everyday will be a royal pain in the butt , if you can, avoid it!

In your hunt for a neighborhood, check the local news station online and check their traffic updates,
NBC 4, ABC 7, CBS 9, Fox 5. DC/VA
WJZ 13 (CBS), Fox 45, ABC 2, WBAL 11(NBC) Baltimore/Annapolis
Some towns that are located in the middle of Baltimore and DC will get local channels from both areas.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Great idea! I never thought to check local news stations online...will do!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM

169 posts, read 475,856 times
Howard County is a good place to meet your needs. I live in Ellicott City and used to work in PG County not far from Greenbelt. The commute wasn't bad, 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. And there are several routes if one is not good on a particular day. From Ellicott City you could take Route 100 to either 95 or 295 or you could go 29 south too. Ellicott City has lots of great neighborhoods and the schools have been rated best in the state for many years. It's a clean, safe, friendly place to live. Houses that sold for 600K three years ago are now down to 450 - 500k. There is the historic district with lots of unique shops and great restaurants, good shopping areas and parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland