Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Hechinger

Crown Books

Trak Auto
Whoa...I have not heard these names in YEARS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Whoa...I have not heard these names in YEARS!
I was shocked to read someone take credit for them for PG....those companies are long defunct.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
I was shocked to read someone take credit for them for PG....those companies are long defunct.
I remember Hechinger quite well, we lived within 5 minutes of one. If you're trying to imply that PG County had something to do with those companies failures you are mistaken. Other regional companies such as Hecht's have also gone defunct. You may have forgotten that Giant is headquartered in Landover and is doing quite well. It was purchased by Royal Ahold--a Dutch company with it's US headquarters outside of Boston--along with New England's Stop&Shop and Pennsylvania's Giant so technically it's based in Mass, but it's actual headquarters and the majority of the jobs are here. Ritz Camera is also based in the county, which was in danger of going out of business earlier this year, is also based in the county, in Beltsville. Of course, as mentioned before, Radio One (who has not been delisted and whose stock has been climbing for about a year) is also located in the county.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I remember Hechinger quite well, we lived within 5 minutes of one. If you're trying to imply that PG County had something to do with those companies failures you are mistaken. Other regional companies such as Hecht's have also gone defunct. You may have forgotten that Giant is headquartered in Landover and is doing quite well. It was purchased by Royal Ahold--a Dutch company with it's US headquarters outside of Boston--along with New England's Stop&Shop and Pennsylvania's Giant so technically it's based in Mass, but it's actual headquarters and the majority of the jobs are here. Ritz Camera is also based in the county, which was in danger of going out of business earlier this year, is also based in the county, in Beltsville. Of course, as mentioned before, Radio One (who has not been delisted and whose stock has been climbing for about a year) is also located in the county.
Nope, nobody's implying anything.

It was actually comical to bring up Hechinger, Dart Drug, Crown Books, etc. based on articles dating back to 1992 and 1996. Those companies are obviously defunct.

Giant got bought out by Royal Ahold which is based in the Netherlands. Again, Giant itself is not a Fortune 500 company. Royal Ahold is the Fortune 500 company.

Ritz Camera. Not Fortune 500. Filed for Chapt 11.

Radio One. Not Fortune 500. Barely breathing.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Nope, nobody's implying anything.

It was actually comical to bring up Hechinger, Dart Drug, Crown Books, etc. based on articles dating back to 1992 and 1996. Those companies are obviously defunct.

Giant got bought out by Royal Ahold which is based in the Netherlands. Again, Giant itself is not a Fortune 500 company. Royal Ahold is the Fortune 500 company.

Ritz Camera. Not Fortune 500. Filed for Chapt 11.

Radio One. Not Fortune 500. Barely breathing.
Well I know all of that, and said most of it already, but it still matters. Ritz and Radio One are still nationwide corporations and huge employers. I never said Giant was an F500 but is an very large and important Mid-Atlantic business, and has grown tremendously spreading all the way to South New Jersey and Virginia, which is why Royal Ahold purchased them along with Stop&Shop and Giant-Carlisle (PA). I don't know how I could forget this, but although it's not a private company, the University of Maryland is also very important employer in the county.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Well I know all of that, and said most of it already, but it still matters. Ritz and Radio One are still nationwide corporations and huge employers. I never said Giant was an F500 but is an very large and important Mid-Atlantic business, and has grown tremendously spreading all the way to South New Jersey and Virginia, which is why Royal Ahold purchased them along with Stop&Shop and Giant-Carlisle (PA). I don't know how I could forget this, but although it's not a private company, the University of Maryland is also very important employer in the county.
Yes, and so is the bail bond business, but like I said, it's not a F500 company with headquarters in the county.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
I too am surprised about Oxon Hill High making the list, but at the same time glad to see some major changes going on. The more challenging the the classes, the more talented students will be attracted to attend the school to enrich it overall. Congratulations Oxon Hill for a job well done!

OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland