Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
The one below. Let's not move goalposts. He didn't say Charles nor anything about 40 years ago. He is talking about the current gentrification trends. Not saying it's true or not true. So, I'd like to see the stats, if they are available.

"Originally Posted by Chriz Brown
Ultimately, no body wants to live around trashy people.

DC's gentrification moved a lot of the poor into PG."

You missed "last 10 years or so"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 PM

341 posts, read 423,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You missed "last 10 years or so"?
No, I didn't. A sample of the last 10 years would be instructive. The last 40, not so much.

I don't mean to be argumentative. We all know DC has become more rich and/or white by double digits. What we don't know with certainty is where all the displaced went. Just because they were uprooted from transitioning areas doesn't mean that they didn't just get shuffled to Southeast.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't. A sample of the last 10 years would be instructive. The last 40, not so much.

I don't mean to be argumentative. We all know DC has become more rich and/or white by double digits. What we don't know with certainty is where all the displaced went. Just because they were uprooted from transitioning areas doesn't mean that they didn't just get shuffled to Southeast.
You still missed why I mentioned 40 years. If it bothers you so much then ignore it (although it is an informative piece of data) and concentrate on the previous sentence I said.

The information is likely available from the Census, various Maryland documents, various County sources. I don't know if school system numbers are publicly available although they were internally.

Has SE increased in population enough to account for the numbers displaced? If not, that will give you some evidence.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM

341 posts, read 423,591 times
This is the only quick and easy info I could find:

Gentrification spreading from Washington, D.C. to Prince George’s County – CNS Maryland

Prince George’s County as a whole has become less white, dropping from about 23 (23.34) percent to 21 (21.37) percent in recent years, but the inner suburbs are one of the few areas where the white population has increased in recent years. From 2009 to 2014, the population of white residents in the inner suburbs has increased by about 8 (7.89) percent.

Several of Prince George’s County’s outer suburb neighborhoods have seen a noticeable increase in minority residents as white residents continue to move out. Areas like Queen Anne, Nottingham and Marlboro have seen an 18 percent increase in the black population and have more than doubled the percentage of Hispanic and Latino residents...

_____
It's an incomplete picture, but some outer PG suburbs have become more black and closer suburbs have become more white, and as an overall total there's a net gain of black residents, but not by a staggering amount, which suggests that there are a lot of people moving out of DC to somewhere other than PG.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
This is the only quick and easy info I could find:

Gentrification spreading from Washington, D.C. to Prince George’s County – CNS Maryland

Prince George’s County as a whole has become less white, dropping from about 23 (23.34) percent to 21 (21.37) percent in recent years, but the inner suburbs are one of the few areas where the white population has increased in recent years. From 2009 to 2014, the population of white residents in the inner suburbs has increased by about 8 (7.89) percent.

Several of Prince George’s County’s outer suburb neighborhoods have seen a noticeable increase in minority residents as white residents continue to move out. Areas like Queen Anne, Nottingham and Marlboro have seen an 18 percent increase in the black population and have more than doubled the percentage of Hispanic and Latino residents...

_____
It's an incomplete picture, but some outer PG suburbs have become more black and closer suburbs have become more white, and as an overall total there's a net gain of black residents, but not by a staggering amount, which suggests that there are a lot of people moving out of DC to somewhere other than PG.
A lot are bypassing Prince George's and going one County further south down 301.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 AM

469 posts, read 549,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
No, that wasn't what I meant. I meant like socially accepted. Someone could live there but they may still get looks and snickers.
No one is snickering any one gay, no one cares. I'm sooo tired of the "white are sooo open minded and civilized" & Blacks are not silly thinking. The county is not some backwards ghetto. Like I said gay Black males have been living in the county for decades, I would know because I am one. I have several married high income friends who live in Laro, Capitol Heights, Bowie etc

Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM

662 posts, read 782,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
No one is snickering any one gay, no one cares. I'm sooo tired of the "white are sooo open minded and civilized" & Blacks are not silly thinking. The county is not some backwards ghetto. Like I said gay Black males have been living in the county for decades, I would know because I am one. I have several married high income friends who live in Laro, Capitol Heights, Bowie etc
You need to stop being so defensive and projecting.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 19,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
As the previous posters mentioned, northern Prince Georges County is more welcoming and overall, more diverse and open-minded than other parts of the county. I would say that you should reconsider moving back to So. Cal and give the northern part of the county a look.
University Park resident here, half of a gay couple who bought a few years back, and I think this area is the place to be in PG Co. College Park (our larger and more famous neighbor) now has a gay mayor. Hyattsville has a lot of nice homes and is up and coming. The same can be said, to a somewhat lesser extent, about Riverdale Park. There's been a ton of development around the PG Plaza Metro station and it looks better every year. The county's first Whole Foods will be open on Route 1 any day now. The University is here, which provides for a bit of a floor even if things get tough on feds under Trump.

There's a lot of diversity here, though that does vary a bit by neighborhood. In UP in particular there are Pride flags flying next to a lot of houses. The "church folk" are outnumbered and they know it. (And that's not to say there aren't a lot of African-Americans in the area - we are in PG County after all - it's just their mentality with regards to cultural issues is generally quite different than the ones who settle either in the stuff further south known unofficially as "Ward 9", or in the land of McMansions beyond the Beltway to the east. Those areas would be a much tougher place to be a gay man of any race.)

Here you can be inside the Beltway, less than a mile from Metro in many cases (about half of UP is walkable to Metro), and have a nice house for way less than anything remotely comparable in DC, MoCo, or NoVA. The main thing you're giving up is school quality/perceived school quality, which is less of an issue (yeah, I know it's a drag on resale, but still) for gay men since relatively few of us have children.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM

469 posts, read 549,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
You need to stop being so defensive and projecting.
Only one projecting is you. As I pointed out the statements
about the county are false

Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
washingtonpost.com

Interesting article in the Post about gay couples finding solace in Prince George's County. Although the article specifically profiled gay and lesbian couples and mentioned Mount Rainier and Hyattsville; I found the article to be more a piece on how these two cities are welcoming to all different types of people, including those of different sexual orientation. Plus, it's great when the WaPO publishes something positive about Prince George's County.
Gays always venture into edgy areas, take root, and watch the area grow.....not surprising. Logan Circle had prostitutes once....now look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland