Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times

Advertisements

Our one daughter lives in Rockville, MD. The other one is considering a job offer in Timonium, near Baltimore. We are retiring soon and would possibly move up there to be near the two of them.

Can anyone suggest a good city/town to live in that would be between the two of them but that wouldn't have such high real estate and cost of living? We don't want to be in a rural setting.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,978 times
Check out the following areas.......Arbutus/Halethorpe, Catonsville, Elkridge, and Linthicum. I could make a larger list of areas to avoid; a halfway point between the two areas is going to be near Baltimore City. The crime rate for all of the places listed above are average for suburbs surrounding a city; but any of them will provide quick, easy access to the highways that you would need to use to get to either of the locations you have listed.
Hope that helps!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Laurel isnt bad in most areas, plus it has everything you need close by!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Our one daughter lives in Rockville, MD. The other one is considering a job offer in Timonium, near Baltimore. We are retiring soon and would possibly move up there to be near the two of them.

Can anyone suggest a good city/town to live in that would be between the two of them but that wouldn't have such high real estate and cost of living? We don't want to be in a rural setting.

Thanks!
Good luck to you...I don't believe there is an afforable, non-rural, low-crime area between those two which doesn't have traffic that can make grown men cry.

If you provide some more details perhaps some better options can be put forth...specifically, are you looking for a SFH, townhome, or a condo? Likewise, what would you consider your budget to be? Buying or renting?

I would advise looking in the Takoma Park area of Montgomery County in Maryland. It's located on the top of 495, and is closer in miles to Rockville but can be as long or a longer drive to there as it would be to Timonium, depending on traffic. You are right near 95, and when it's not rush hour, you can be in the Timonium area in 40-60 minutes. It's also near the metro, and probably a 20-30 minute drive to Rockville accounting for non rush hour traffic in DC.

As another poster mentioned, Catonsville/Ellicott City is a nice area, and probably slightly more affordable than Takoma Park.

If you want your kids to visit you more than you need to visit them, you can also look out towards Anne Arundel in places like Severna Park which are near the water and are equidistant from both Rockville and Timonium when there isn't traffic.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Sticker Shock!

We were hoping to buy a SFH in the neighborhood of $300,000-350,000, at least 1,800 sq. ft. I looked at realtor.com for all the cities listed in the posts above. It doesn't look too easy! Atlanta prices are very low compared to much of the country, so it's quite a shock to see the difference.

When I say we don't want rural, I mean out in the country with farms. We don't mind living out a bit as long as there are grocery and drugstores, etc. and other necessities in a town close by.

We wanted to be between the two cities of Rockville and Baltimore so we would have the option of visiting either daughter (and most importantly, grandkids). I don't know how often either family of 2 working people with 2 kids in school would have time to come to see us. They are career oriented and very short on time. That's why we'd like to be close enough to go see them. I know the traffic up there is horrendous (maybe even worse than Atlanta!).

I looked up the cities mentioned above and realize that we will have to make major adjustments as far as space and $$$'s spent if we want to be in that area. We have rehabbed several homes and would consider it again, so maybe that would help us some. But we don't want to be in a gentrification area. Since we're in our 60's, we don't have the time to wait for the neighborhood to catch up!

Many thanks for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland