Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

350 posts, read 1,641,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclee View Post
If you live in Oak Creek Club in Upper Marlboro or are actually familiar with the community, can you provide me with information about the pros and cons of the development? I would also like information about the builders. It would be helpful if you have any recommendations or warnings. I have read a lot of the posts on this forum so let me say upfront I do not want a political, economic or racial debate. I am not looking to know how much a particular poster makes per year who lives in PG County. I do not need any pro or anti PG County rants. Thanks.
You should post this as it's own thread for a better chance of replies.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 24,900 times
So can anyone say something about Oakcreek in UpperMarlboro, MD?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 PM

24 posts, read 64,798 times
Well here is my 2 cents on the situtation. The whole DC Area is a nice place to live even Prince Georges County. If you all look at the stastics for crime (especially murders) about 20-30 murders/year in No. Va. , 20-30 murders/year in Mont. Co and 70-90 murders/year in Prince Georges isn't bad compared to the populations of in each count (900,000-1 million+). Prince Georges isn't as dangerous as the media and people hype it up to be. I been fortunate never to been shot at, robbed, or sexual assualted while living in Prince Georges. The only time I experience a robbery in the dc area was Hoffmans Movie Theater in Alexanderia.

Every county in the area has higher rates of crime in certain areas i.e. Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Capitol Heights, Oxon Hill.

Laurel Engineer was right when he/she said these places have higher rates of crime due to there proximity to NE and SE DC.

If you are a young person and single (21-35) the best places to live are alexanderia, laurel, upper malboro, rockville. Rent is these are reasonable, but buying a house is not.

Oak Creek is nice. Its in rural area. All the communities are gated even the townhouse communities. Im trying to move out that way this summer.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 66,404 times
As I mentioned in a much earlier post, my wife and I are attempting to decide between Beech Tree and Oak Creek. I can give you some information based on our analysis and research...
- Beech Tree is further along in it's development than than Oak Creek.
- Oak Creek feels a bit disjointed since the various communities or neighborhoods are located on either side of Church Road. The community it is based on, River Creek, has a much better 'flow'. This is, of course, a personal preference.
- The gates are finally becoming functional in Oak Creek and add a level of prestige. THis will also increase safety in the community.
- Oak creek lots are generally larger than those in Beech Tree. We had a hard time finding lots that were larger than 1/4 acre in Beech Tree. These seem more readily available in Oak Creek.
- Oak Creek homes have less 'set-back' than the homes in Beech Tree...meaning they are placed closer to the street. This make the community seem a little crowded, when compared to Beech Tree, but it also adds more back yard space.
- A minor thing, but Oak Creek has no side walks.
-Oak Creek has a greater selection of builders
-The shuttle service to the metro will start when there are approx. 500 residents. They currently have approx. 250.
-The golf course is supposed to open in the spring (2008).
-The club house will not open until after the swim and raquet club is completed (2010?)
-The walking trails will not be totally finished for a while. They complete the sections of the trails as the houses next to the trails are built.
-We are negotiating with a builder now and there is a fair amount of room for downward negotiation. Sales are slow so the builders are willing to come down off of the listed prices.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 AM

8 posts, read 66,404 times
Sorry, forgot to mention info about the builders (all personal opinions mixed with some facts):
-WCI and Mitchell & Best are the top builders in the community. We compared the 'standard' features of these builders with the others and these 2 give you a lot of bang for your buck. Of course, they are the most expensive in the community, but the build quality is high. M&B for example uses shorter spans between the floor boards and a higher grade siding; granite is standard; archways throughout; quality molding..etc. Again, they do come in at a higher price-point. These builders also typically have the larger lots in the community, so it is easy to find a home on a 1/3 + acre lot...which allows for the extras like side entry garages and sun-rooms.
- I consider NV and Michael Harris at the next level. Again good builders with quality materials. Both provide a lot of moldings and some hard wood standard. You can find some lots between 1/4 and 1/3 acre.
-Ryan - same parent company as NV, but does not include as many 'finishes' standard. Usually Ryan buys smaller lots than NV, so harder to find a Ryan home on a large lot.
- I am not a big fan of craftmark, craft star and green castle. Again, personal taste. I just do not get a strong sense of quality when I walk through their models. I have done limited research on these builders, based on my initial impressions during my model walk-through. The price points for these homes seemed lower than the other builders.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,684 times
Default NV homes in Oak Creek

Thanks for the good info on Oak Creek! We've been looking at NV homes. The sales guy said there are three more areas they are going to develop in Oac Creek, but then said NV might pull out before they get to those areas. I'm wondering if that's just a ploy to introduce a sense of urgency - does anyone know anything at all about that? Also, IS this really a good time to buy? I keep reading that the housing market has a long way to go, and will not be rebounding any time soon (years and years). My husband and I are very new to house-hunting, so would be grateful for any thoughts from people who are more expert.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,691 times
I lived in PG County for 6 years, i lived in laurel on 4th street behind laurel mall, very diverse area, which is good, there was also many convienences located close to you, not to mention all the free things to do in DC, i.e. art gallerys, museums, etc. There was a considerable amount of crime, but the crime always seemed to happen somewhere else. Then it started getting worse, crime started to increase and we put the forsale sign up in our front yard the day after my neighbor was shot in his front yard while playing with his kid during a driveby shooting, the father was killed luckily the child was not hit, but nevertheless choose carefully where you live, everywhere in the DC metro area is going to be expensive but choose carefully, is the price worth your personal safety.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 24,774 times
Forestville used to be a great little place to raise a family. Now, it is just a ghetto with no where to eat , no decent shopping and even doctors have moved theior offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland