Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM

57 posts, read 196,113 times

Advertisements

Oh and I forgot! PG county has almost NO services or stores. They avoid it here like the plague, possibly because of the mostly black demographic. The only restaurants within miles of where we live are McDonalds, KFC/Taco Bell, Friendly's, and Wendy's. We just recently got a Chipotle's and it's BUSY because there's just absolutely nothing else around. To buy clothing, I have to travel over 20 miles to Columbia Mall. The nearest Wal-Mart is a 30 minute drive away. We have a Target but it is chronically under-stocked, it's just weird. We travel over 10 miles to Laurel for most restaurants. There's a new shopping center popping up but guess what its restaurant will be - IHOP!! So far the only other businesses it has are a 7-11 and a nail salon. All this in an urban/suburban heavily-populated area, it's just ridiculous. Even to get basic ingredients on the rare occasion that I cook, I usually have to travel to at least 3 grocery stores to collect all the super-rare ingredients, such as fresh cilantro...even if a store usually stocks something, it usually only has it off-and-on and frequently runs out.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM

267 posts, read 1,671,562 times
I'm usually on the VA forum, but I grew up in PG County. My in-laws live in Ft Washington and they do everything outside of the county. Shopping in VA and Waldorf, Doctor's in VA, restaurants mainly in VA. We haven't been able to get them to move. We've questioned why would you want to drive 45 minutes just to get groceries, but it goes in one ear and out the other. We don't even go over anymore. They come see us. I feel like I can't go home again. Growing up we didn't have much except small shopping centers and McDonalds mainly and we drove to Landover, Greenbelt or Springfield to see movies because there was only 2 theaters in our part of the county. PG may get a boost from the National Harbor project, but only there and not the rest of the county. PG county schools were very good when I went, but we lived in one of the better school areas. I graduated from Friendly in the late 70's so it has changed dramatically since then. I regularly see several people I went to HS with and we all have the same opinion, it's not where we grew up and never will be again. We feel like we can't even go into our old neighborhoods again. I remember as a child DC used to bus inner city families out to Fort Washington park on Sunday afternoons. Those are the same families that moved into PG county and forced out everyone I know because prices didn't keep pace with the rest of the DC metro area. My home in Loudoun would costs less than 2/3 in PG county, but the reasons for that aren't just income related.

Last edited by ashbrn4; 06-01-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 AM

109 posts, read 617,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
I'm usually on the VA forum, but I grew up in PG County. My in-laws live in Ft Washington and they do everything outside of the county. Shopping in VA and Waldorf, Doctor's in VA, restaurants mainly in VA. We haven't been able to get them to move. We've questioned why would you want to drive 45 minutes just to get groceries, but it goes in one ear and out the other. We don't even go over anymore. They come see us. I feel like I can't go home again. Growing up we didn't have much except small shopping centers and McDonalds mainly and we drove to Landover, Greenbelt or Springfield to see movies because there was only 2 theaters in our part of the county. PG may get a boost from the National Harbor project, but only there and not the rest of the county. PG county schools were very good when I went, but we lived in one of the better school areas. I graduated from Friendly in the late 70's so it has changed dramatically since then. I regularly see several people I went to HS with and we all have the same opinion, it's not where we grew up and never will be again. We feel like we can't even go into our old neighborhoods again. I remember as a child DC used to bus inner city families out to Fort Washington park on Sunday afternoons. Those are the same families that moved into PG county and forced out everyone I know because prices didn't keep pace with the rest of the DC metro area. My home in Loudoun would costs less than 2/3 in PG county, but the reasons for that aren't just income related.

We have posted comments, and links to numerous articles clearly stating that commerical developers, homebuilders, retailers, local/state/national leaders, school officials, teachers, parents and most of the community in general believe we are on the verge of turning this county around. So, I'm just curious why you think we won't????

Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
We have posted comments, and links to numerous articles clearly stating that commerical developers, homebuilders, retailers, local/state/national leaders, school officials, teachers, parents and most of the community in general believe we are on the verge of turning this county around. So, I'm just curious why you think we won't????
We? Is that the royal we? I know I'm not the only one who has experienced the changes in PG county over the years since I read several pages before I posted. Anyway, having grown up there and lived in the DC area for 40+ years, I'l believe it only when I see it. I do see what my in-laws in Ft Washington and friends in Laurel experience on a daily basis. As I said, my inlaws don't shop at all in the county and they are far from the only ones they know that do that. I think they hope it will turn around, but I also know plenty of people who don't.

Clearly, you took what I wrote, out of context, since nowhere did I say it wouldnt turn around (but that it will never be what is was which doesn't mean it won't improve over what it is now), just what I have observed over the years and what individuals I know are currently experiencing.

Do you think the high murder rate is an indication that it's "turning around"?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
We? Is that the royal we? I know I'm not the only one who has experienced the changes in PG county over the years since I read several pages before I posted. Anyway, having grown up there and lived in the DC area for 40+ years, I'l believe it only when I see it. I do see what my in-laws in Ft Washington and friends in Laurel experience on a daily basis. As I said, my inlaws don't shop at all in the county and they are far from the only ones they know that do that. I think they hope it will turn around, but I also know plenty of people who don't.

Clearly, you took what I wrote, out of context, since nowhere did I say it wouldnt turn around (but that it will never be what is was which doesn't mean it won't improve over what it is now), just what I have observed over the years and what individuals I know are currently experiencing.

Do you think the high murder rate is an indication that it's "turning around"?
No, I mean we as in members of the community. Actually what I picked up on was your comment that National Harbor will not help the rest of the county. That's the biggest project going on right now and if you think that won't help, then to me that implies a lot. And I really was just curious why you thought that.

Wow, everybody in the WMA is aware of the latest crime stats in PGC, but not really aware of anything else that's going on. Obviously, I don't think the homicide rate is anything except tragic. If I had the solution to that problem I'd be out there implementing it right now instead of replying to you. But the growth will bring more wealth. More wealth, better schools, less crime. Can't tackle one without the others and it can't happen overnight.

Also, in your earlier post you used the term "forced out." Did you know that in 1900 PGC was 60% black? Many of the towns close to the DC line were built by former slaves - Fairmont Heights being the first, soon followed by Seat Pleasant, Brentwood, Capitol Heights, Landover, Lanham, etc. The PGC black history museum is actually going to be built in Brentwood. All the more reason to get these communities back to what they were.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
No, I mean we as in members of the community. Actually what I picked up on was your comment that National Harbor will not help the rest of the county. That's the biggest project going on right now and if you think that won't help, then to me that implies a lot. And I really was just curious why you thought that.
I know one of the major contractors working on the project and we have talked about it. Did you know the Gaylord Hotel will be offering/providing boat shuttles to Old Town and DC? People will be staying at the Harbor, but will not be spending any additional money in the county. They will be going to restaurants and sightseeing in DC and VA. How is that going to help? I think you will find the Harbor will be a self-contained entity and only impact the area with some tax income.

As for my comment about being forced out of the county, we knew many who left as a result of the influx of crime which can be shown to have come from the move out of DC. I know that's why my parents and everyone else we knew who left. We know at least two people who have been held up at gunpoint in their driveways (one two different times also). I don't know anyone else where I've ever lived that's had that happen, or even had their home broken into which my inlaws have had happen. My sister graduated 8 years after I did from Friendly and she was able to quantify the huge difference in the county. We had no gang activity in the 70's and by the time she graduated, drugs and gangs were starting to be a real problem which is currently a huge ongoing issue. I don't really care what the percentage of races is or was. That's not important,or at least it shouldn't be. It should be about pride and wanting and providing a better life for all children and families. What I care about is the crime rate and the inability of PG county to control it and you can correlate the crime rate in PG increasing with the population changes the county went through over the last 20 years. Your statement of getting those areas "back to where they were" is bothersome because it reeks of entitlement based on race.

Wealth doesn't just happen and wealth will not solve the problems. The way the county currently is, wealth for individuals will only mean they will move to better areas. The solution is a lot more complicated than money.

Last edited by ashbrn4; 06-02-2007 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,288,231 times
Asbrn: You have no idea what you are talking about. I am sick and tired of people bashing pgcounty. i hear move to other county in maryland but what people donot know is Pg county is the 2nd wealthiest county in Maryland right behind Montgomery county. You mention home prices in pg is 2/3 less then pg county that is wrong. first of all Va property values have drop 9.0% in 2 quarters so your need to sell fast before you loose all your equity like my other clients who live in VA.

The National Harbor is the biggest project on the entire East coast. Everything in the harbor will be 100% high scale. The restaurants and shopping that will be in the Harbor are not in the Dc or Va areas. The Harbor are all restaurants that people will want to eat and shop. Please donot get upset because they choose Pg county to build the National harbor.

I love living in Pg. I love the fact that Pg is the Wealthies county in Maryland and its majority African American do you know what this means. It means that Blacks donot need to live next to whites to live in a safe,wealthy,peaceful neighborhood. Blacks are creating our own wealth and I think other race are hating it. Pg is attracting high scale grocery chains,shopping,dining,High scale builders.

I donot know what city is pg your friend live in but I know in cities in pg such as Bowie,Upper Marlboro,Mitchellville,Fort Washington,Accrekee home prices are the same in Loudon county A sigle family home 4 bedroom is a min 500k. What you need to understand is that pg county have some very wealthy cities I know where I live if you want to purchae a single family in Upper marlboro its going to cost you 700k for a basic home. Builders are building left and right price range from 700- on up and African American have the money to pay why you think Builders are swaming pg because they know Blacks are making the money now and we deserve the best so we are getting the best.
Money is coming back into the county so we aqre ok if you donot want to visit Pg no longer because I donot visit or would never spend a dollar in VA.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the ferry to Old Town, Mt. Vernon, DC for sightseeing, baseball games. I don't see it as a problem that the entire region benefits. And yes I'm aware that it will basically be a little self-contained city. In fact, I think they're going to call it National Harbor, MD. But there will be about 15-20 restaurants, shopping, nightlife etc. to keep people occupied, and about 1500 condos and townhomes so PG will definitely benefit financially. That's millions of dollars a year to fund the schools, public safety, etc. If all we got was funding for schools, I'm happy. But it will bring much more than that. The governor and county exec attended the shopping center convention in Vegas last week. They said the Harbor has created a lot of buzz and retailers that were just lukewarm last year are ready to do business now. So that's the kind of intangible that we're getting above and beyond the revenue that will be generated. The Harbor will not be the kind of place that will appeal to everyone, just like not everyone in Fairfax hangs out at Tyson's Galleria. But it will be there for those of us who want to go.

We all know the story very well about the mass exodus out of the county, and it really is unfortunate that you feel you can't visit the place where you grew up. I gave you the percentages for some historical perspective, not race based entitlement. It's important to know the history. We have all been displaced - voluntarily and involuntarily.

I wasn't referring to individual wealth. The development that's happening now will help to diversify our tax base so we don't rely so much on property tax revenue. It will create jobs. Gaylord is working with PGCC to train hospitality workers for example. It will attract more business from the Fed so I don't have to travel 30 miles to work via the Wilson Bridge. Fairfax is rich because it has become contracting central for the Federal government. It is the largest employer in the region. Montgomery is second and has a strong bio technology presence I think. Anne Arundel has wrapped up the intel community. We need an identity like that. That's the kind of wealth I'm talking about. And that will without question help us solve some problems.

We will just have to wait and see. I'm optimistic. You'll be able to visit again and get your inlaws off the beltway. Well halftime is over. Gotta go cheer on my Pistons.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,288,231 times
Sorry the Piston lost I lost interest once the heat lost.
Pg county is becoming more family friendly and yes we have problems but we are inproving and we as a county recognize the problem and we are fixing them. Nothing change over night. Pg county are hiring more police so we can lower the crime and in all my statements I say We because we are a community and thats the only way to solve the problems. But to say the entire county is bad is just 100% worng. There are no county is the United Stated that is 100% perfect including Loudon. WE are changing for the best and i am haging in because I know all these changes bring jobs,more safety,better schools in the county. So please before you close your mind on pg trying going into other parts of the county. Thats exactly how my husband feels about Va he will never move ot visit there but I would give VA a try because I not not everywhere in VA have problems.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Sorry the Piston lost I lost interest once the heat lost.
That was a shock when the Heat got swept in the first round. I really wanted to see Chris Webber get a ring with the Pistons. He's from Detroit I think. He only has a season or two left in those legs. But the Cavs will be good for NBA Finals ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland