Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 51,451 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking into all of my real estate options and am looking into different areas near Washington, DC. One area I had not considered moving to is Gaithersburg. I have co-worker who lives there who loves it, though the commute to DC can be long.

If you live in Gaithersburg, could you let me know what your viewpoint is about the area and living there? Good and bad info is welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
West of 270 is the better part to live in. The area around Lakeforest Mall strikes fear in the hearts of C-D posters. If you're typical then avoid that area.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,592 times
There are some REALLY bad parts of Gaithersburg. Like dkf said above, the area around lakeforest mall/old town is very seedy.
The areas of Gaithersburg near Quince Orchard High School (closer to Darnestown/Germantown) are very nice. That's where you want to look.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,996 times
My husband and I are also trying to narrow down where we should relocate to, outside of DC. We will have an elementary school aged child in tow. Out of Germantown, Gaithersburg, Olney and Silver Spring, which area offers the best schools, cultural diversity and a nice, single family home for about $350,000?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
I would have to go with Olney out of the ones you selected... It is the most Suburban and the furthest away from the crime of the city (although there still is some)... I went to Olney elementary it was really an excellent school as is Rosa Parks Middle...

350k might not buy you the biggest house but you should be able to find something solid...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedtoDC View Post
My husband and I are also trying to narrow down where we should relocate to, outside of DC. We will have an elementary school aged child in tow. Out of Germantown, Gaithersburg, Olney and Silver Spring, which area offers the best schools, cultural diversity and a nice, single family home for about $350,000?
350k? Germantown is probably the only one where you can find that. It might be possible in Gaithersburg / North Potomac, but I don't think so.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 18,254 times
I would choose Olney of the locations listed as well. I loved living in Olney. The prices have come down some so you may be able to find a single family in that price range.

If you would like me to send you a list of what $350 that can get you in the different areas feel free to contact me.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedtoDC View Post
I think Olney and Germantown might be your best bets for finding an SF home in that price range. I think a lot of houses are still about $100k over that. I would also recommend looking at Rockville. It's closer-in than some of the 'burbs you mentioned, but has nice housing stock (IMO).

Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
My husband lived in Gaithersburg for two years while we were dating. I also lived out there with him for a couple of months.

Gaithersburg is a good place to find relatively affordable family housing. It's not architecturally inspired or particularly beautiful, but it is standard nice suburban fare. You can also find all of the conveniences that you will need -- many grocery stores, shopping malls, big box stores, Blockbusters. If you like more rural areas, you are not far from local orchards, small historic towns, civil war battlefields, and hiking trails.

That said, about all you will find within Gaithersburg is houses and chain stores. Because of the way things are zoned, you will have to drive everywhere. Outside of subdivisions, there aren't even many sidewalks on which to stroll. There are very, very few places to go for nightlife or entertainment. Cultural activities, outside of events at the fair grounds, are rare. I found it sterile and far too far away from DC.

The commute is nothing to scoff at. Recent traffic reports showed congestion easing in every major American city except for DC. Our gridlock is second only to L.A. My 12 mi. "reverse" commute from DC to Bethesda, MD takes 40 minutes.

Where you would work makes a big difference. Go to the Washington Metro Transit Authority (WMATA) website and use the trip planner to see what your commute would be like by Metro in terms of time and price. If memory serves, round-trip on the train plus parking is $10/day. Driving I-270 is do-able if you are commuting to other suburbs like Rockville or Bethesda for work. That said, driving HOV is best. However, in coming years HOV lanes may transition to high occupancy toll lanes, a pricey proposition. Driving from central DC to G-burg (exit 11) without rush hour traffic is about a 40/45 min. drive. Congestion can add 15 min. to a half hour.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafm70 View Post
I'm just looking into all of my real estate options and am looking into different areas near Washington, DC. One area I had not considered moving to is Gaithersburg. I have co-worker who lives there who loves it, though the commute to DC can be long.

If you live in Gaithersburg, could you let me know what your viewpoint is about the area and living there? Good and bad info is welcome. Thanks.
What is your budget? And are kids part of the equation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland