Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM

144 posts, read 630,935 times

Advertisements

The author of the article is quoted in the Washington post piece. Here it is:

Georgetown law professor Sheryll Cashin calls non-gentrifying whites moving into black communities an "interesting wrinkle" on usual integration patterns. In her book "The Failures of Integration: How Race and Class Are Undermining the American Dream," Cashin writes that in surveys where non-blacks are asked to choose between a range of neighborhood types, the neighborhoods least preferred are those with large numbers of black people. "Prince George's County is a rare context" where whites, typically in the majority, must develop the ability to be comfortable with difference.

Interesting.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 PM

What color are the people moving into some of the newer developments along the urban core that many people are afraid to move to?

Arts District ‘pioneers’ settling in

As this county builds-out and redevelops the only color that will matter is green.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
What color are the people moving into some of the newer developments along the urban core that many people are afraid to move to?

Arts District ‘pioneers’ settling in

As this county builds-out and redevelops the only color that will matter is green.
Meant to add down the street in addition to other developments your going to get this:

Landy Property « Route 1 Growth

Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 AM

109 posts, read 617,990 times

Yes, very interesting. My main problem with her position is she seems to think diversity is the solution to everything and wants to focus on that at the expense of more pressing issues. To a lot of people diversity means mostly us and a couple of you. It's not my problem if people want to "flee" when they see me coming and I don't waste my time thinking about it. We're not having any problems in my neighborhood which is about 80/20 black/white. Some of my white neighbors even jog in the evening - alone, and unarmed. Imagine that. Here's a good diversity story for you:

Teacher wins harassment lawsuit - baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/howard/bal-md.ho.suit04jul04,0,5130454.story?track=mostemaile dlink - broken link)

washingtonpost.com

Last edited by maat; 07-06-2007 at 04:56 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Yes, very interesting. My main problem with her position is she seems to think diversity is the solution to everything and wants to focus on that at the expense of more pressing issues. To a lot of people diversity means mostly us and a couple of you. It's not my problem if people want to "flee" when they see me coming and I don't waste my time thinking about it. We're not having any problems in my neighborhood which is about 80/20 black/white. Some of my white neighbors even jog in the evening - alone, and unarmed. Imagine that. Here's a good diversity story for you:

Teacher wins harassment lawsuit - baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/howard/bal-md.ho.suit04jul04,0,5130454.story?track=mostemaile dlink - broken link)

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
Maat:

I agree with your assessment pertaining to diversity. I indicated this in another thread. A diverse neighborhood is one that one or two African Americans, Asian or other ethnic groups are trying to assimilate into a majority White community.

Based upon this authors premise that whites don't feel comfortable living in predominantly black communities despite the affluence where does the problem lie? Aren't the value system and aspirations similar? We are conditioned to believe that in order to live in a "good community" you must live in one which is predominantly white and you are merely a token in their community. Many posters come on this forum with such ignorant conditioning bashing the county based on this premise and many more will continue to do so. I can go on however refuse to at this time as this is a topic for another thread.

For the record I grew up in the hood and happened to have escaped it despite the many pressures to succumb. Some don't and it is unfortunate. That does not make anyone better then the ones who have not escaped. I go back to my neighborhood when I can because I never want to forget where I came from. Everybody is not going to be saved from the social ills of this society. The problem is very complex and will take time to fix. It is not going to go away over night because it was not created overnight. You can't just tell people to stop their destructive behavior and the problem will be fixed. It is just not that simple.

I 'am humbled by what I see going on in this county. I was fortunate that I bought into property before all of this madness in real estate. At the very least I want to leave my children with the understanding of who they are, know that people who look like them can do well as we drive these communities and not be misguided by this BS in the media and life in general.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 PM

165 posts, read 564,086 times
Default Didn't know Tavis did this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Did you happen to catch the presidential debate broadcast from Howard U last week that Tavis hosted? Tavis paid the way for 4 young men who were washing cars to raise money to attend. That was a great story. And it was one of the best debates I've seen so far.
Of course I watched the debate. I knew that Tavis would not allow silly questions, but would focus on concrete issues that a reasonable person can wrap their head around.

I purchased the book Covenant With Black America for myself and several friends and family members. Good stuff! I'm not at all surprised that he helped those young men; he's really about action and getting things done. I really admire his commitment and sense of fairness.

BC

Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM

175 posts, read 733,708 times
Best And Worst School Districts For The Buck - Forbes.com

Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't PG one of the poorer counties in MD? I don't think there are a lot of well to do kids running a muck there. Maybe I'll drive through this weekend to be sure.
PG county actually is the richest black county in the U.S. It is just that poorer blacks coming from D.C. migrated with the middle class blacks that make it "bad".

Old 07-09-2007, 05:47 AM

Washington post on Landover redevelopment.

washingtonpost.com

Where is Iscalder?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 AM

61 posts, read 122,318 times
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see whats happening with PG County. Until PG residents take back their streets,....or better yet, until PARENTS take back their kids,.....PG will continue to stay riddled with crime. I wont say what I do for a living, but let's just say I see what the Police do, and hanging out waiting for crime isn't it.
I've read hear that some grew up in the "HOOD", but do go back to remember what it was like. Well guess what,.......alot of us never grew up in the "HOOD" (and never want to), and we are moving out of areas like PG County because we see similarities of the "HOOD" entrenching all around us. Myself, along with others dont have a problem living amongst other races, what we have a problem with is fearing going out at night, our kids, our wives, our houses. Dont blame people for being racist because they dont want to live in crime areas. BLAME THE PARENTS OF THESE TROUBLED KIDS & ADULTS WHO ARE STILL ACTING LIKE ANIMALS !

Last edited by xusnatc; 07-10-2007 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland