Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

I hate to beat a dead horse but I blame the PG County government for some of the counties current issues. PG needs to decide if it wants to be an urban county, suburban county or rural enclave. Some of the county's main highways and roads don't even have lighting. And these are areas that are in close proximity to DC. They are too quick to jump into bed with these home builders. PG needs a moratorium on new housing developments until they can come up with a plan that includes more retail, condos, transportation options to go with it.

Look at Montgomery County and Arlington as an example. Bethesda and Silver Spring have grown up because of the smart planning around the metro. These are walkable areas that offer dining, shopping and nightlife. Same thing goes for Arlington. National Harbor is a step in the right direction.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
We are heading into economic times that will not allow retail sales to be the basis for any sort of economic improvement. Foreclosures and credit meltdowns will burn the communities that have a high impact of. PG is in the forefront of foreclosures and credit meltdown is a natural followup. This is not about race but about cash flow. Maryland has a horrible balance sheet and PG has even greater problems. Realistic thinking is necessary as the economic slowdown is here. Even if not a recession it is still a slowdown. When foreign governments are bailing out wall street investment houses, don't expect domestic intervention to save our shopping naywhere.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
The pages were roughly 30% constructive and the rest just wandering fodder.
As to finding a Trader Joe's - shopping at the same old Safeway, Giant or Shopper's Food Warehouse isn't the same as finding a higher quality of foods one can at Joe's. Make the trek on over to VA and experience it personally.
I had to hunt down the dairy manager at the Giant in my locale and ask him to stock a better grade of yogurt than the standard candy flavored crap that is regularly found there.
Shopper's and Safeway are the only two of the big 3 that have any real produce.
In today's world of 60% of Americans being obese fresh produce is real food. McDonald's and KFC will kill you,
Dried fruits and reasonably priced nuts, easy to carry, are far better for you than fast foods. Real selections of those can only be found at Joe's.

As far as "what are you going to do about it????" Take my business to VA and shop there. The sad reality there is most of PG county already does so and is the reason most business ventures die out before they even get past their Grand Openings. Blacks and whites are guilty of this.
How many prefer that big Mall near the Pentagon for shopping compared to anything here in MD?
Where did the majority of all of you do your Christmas Shopping?
Springfield and Landmark malls are far more successful than any shopping along the MD side of the beltway.

Am I telling truth or not? Be honest!
I am sorry fishfister but you are wrong.

There are many other options to buying fresh produce in the county. There are real farms in PG county where you can pick your own vegetables and fruit. Millers Farms and Cherry Hill Farms, they make the best homemade muffins with real strawberry preserves. You can buy yougurt and other dairy products and they also make fresh peach ice cream. Try a farmers market.

How about growing a garden like my grandmother and our neighbors who live in Upper Marlboro. If you only think that Giant, Shoppers and other stores are places you can get food then you are lazy. Do some research and you can find these places in PG County. My grandmother shops at these farms ALL the time no BS...plus she grows the best tomatoes and green beans...I hate green beans out of the can (Im absolutly repulsed by them, but I will eat the ones out of the garden).These is also a butcher in Clinton that has fresh meat.

If I want to shop I go to Annapolis Mall and I have no problem with that. When I am in Philly I go to King of Prussia.Its like the same distance and in a different county. There are other places that do not have big malls just like PG.

And like I said all you have to do is make do with the situation your in or write to the govenment and complain to them.
My grandparents have been living in Upper Marlboro since my mother was in high school and now I am in college and I live in that house too. I have had friends who have been killed, I have had some shady moments in school but it all made me who I am today and I do not regret living here. I love it here and could not dream of living any where else.

Like really, if you could see the crap that happens in Philly all the time you would wish that you were in PG like I do when I am at school. I hate that place with a passion. I can give a billion examples about the people, the amenities, just Philly period. Man if I had a dollar for all the stories I could tell about Philly I would be a billionaire.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA! If you can find anyone that knows what is going on in most retail stores in the Temple Hills region you are one in a million. Most don't care because you are "making them work" if they have to go out of their way. I have been told as much several times.
The regional businesses lack any customer service credibility from the managerial level down to clerical.
There is a Cici's Pizza place at Rivertown and it pales in comparison to that in Montgomery or in VA.

WHY???

Admit it, the citizens of PG county have grown used to second class customer service on all levels and expect no different. How would you suggest a change of the mindset of owners, managers/employees so that they are acceptable?
Here is one of my examples...

Ok so I live on Broad Street in North Philly and there is a Dunkin' Doughnuts across the street. Me and my roomie are going to study at school but its late so we stop there to get a hot white chocolate...the ones for 99 cents. We walk in are there are two guys standing in the corner yelling at the cashier. She is on here cell phone talking to I guess a friend. Apparently she knows the guys in the corner and is talking to them too...all the while having 3 people in line. So she starts taking orders while on the phone... laughing and yelling back and forth to the guys. When I gets to be our turn, we order 2 hot chocolates.

She asks me if I want whipped cream and I tell her no but the other one was with whipped cream. She gives us the drinks and my roomie asks which one has whipped cream and she says BOTH because they come with it..(Im thinking well why the hell would you ask then???)..

We tell her that I didn't want whipped cream so she takes the drink back and scoops the whipped cream out with a fork...all while on the cellphone talking to her friend....after that I just didnt want it any more...

I mean come on PG is not the only place with these problems...I've been to plenty nice restaurants in PA that had horrible service...namely Bahama Breeze in King of Prussia.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
Montgomery county and other county in Maryland is right behind so please do not pretend as if Pg county is the only county in Maryland facing foreclosure problems in maryland. Montogmery county double their foreclosure numbers at a fast rate then anyother county in Maryland. Pg is leading montgomery only by a mergin. If Montgomery county continue to increase at such a fast pace, the county will enventually become the new leader in foreclosure. In foreclosure numbers 600 is not a large lead. Both county are neck to neck so I do not understand why only mention one county when its
all counties in Maryland.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:26 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA! If you can find anyone that knows what is going on in most retail stores in the Temple Hills region you are one in a million. Most don't care because you are "making them work" if they have to go out of their way. I have been told as much several times.
The regional businesses lack any customer service credibility from the managerial level down to clerical.
There is a Cici's Pizza place at Rivertown and it pales in comparison to that in Montgomery or in VA.

WHY???

Admit it, the citizens of PG county have grown used to second class customer service on all levels and expect no different. How would you suggest a change of the mindset of owners, managers/employees so that they are acceptable?
fishfister, if this is the way you feel about Prince George's County, then why are you still here? Maybe you should take your business to Virginia, and then maybe you could complain about that area over there, because I think you'll find that most of the counties surrounding the Washington, DC metropolitan area are basically having all of the same problems, seems a little unfair that you seem to single out one particular county, maybe you should take a look at the other surrounding counties and see what kind of problems they have and you can gripe and complain about them.

Last edited by ptsum; 12-26-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 03:55 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I am sorry fishfister but you are wrong.

There are many other options to buying fresh produce in the county. There are real farms in PG county where you can pick your own vegetables and fruit. Millers Farms and Cherry Hill Farms, they make the best homemade muffins with real strawberry preserves. You can buy yougurt and other dairy products and they also make fresh peach ice cream. Try a farmers market.

How about growing a garden like my grandmother and our neighbors who live in Upper Marlboro. If you only think that Giant, Shoppers and other stores are places you can get food then you are lazy. Do some research and you can find these places in PG County. My grandmother shops at these farms ALL the time no BS...plus she grows the best tomatoes and green beans...I hate green beans out of the can (Im absolutly repulsed by them, but I will eat the ones out of the garden).These is also a butcher in Clinton that has fresh meat.

Miller Farm
10140 Piscataway Road
Clinton, MD 20735

http://www.somarylandsogood.com/sear...arm&farmid=106

Cherry Hill Farms makes fresh donuts as well.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
My family and I go to Miller farm every week to get fresh fruits,veggies and dairy products. I love to support local business. I also purchase fruits and veggies from the local Amish living in the county.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Yes the Peach ice cream is a favorite in my house and the muffins....My grandmother freezes them so we can have them year round...

Liliblu we have had the donuts too which are amazing! Try the different flavored honey sticks they are a good treat for those with a sweet tooth. Thanks for that website because this can hush all that talk about nothing fresh in PG. What a wonderful source of information! And I have heard of C and E farms...not sure if my grandparents go there or not.

All fresh and better than any Trader Joes or Wegmans...right here in PG

Last edited by LoveMiiorHateMii; 12-27-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 AM

109 posts, read 618,010 times
Default Oh, the donuts

There's nothing I can say that would do them justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland