U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

12 posts, read 23,526 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into relocatin to the silver spring area in march 2010. I know areas change quickly. I have been down for a couple visits, and I plan to do another visit in oct maybe nov this year. I realize it will be colder and alot of action slows down in the winter time. I can deal with some things because Ohio is not the best when it comes to that. I just need to make sure my family is safe where ever we are....
I am a single mom of a 2 girls ages 12 and 9yr s old. I plan to rent the first year and buy after I get a feel for the area. I have done a lot of research which I know gives a really board view. So I was just wondering is there an area in silver spring thats safer than others...Also where are the suburbs located at in silver spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

160 posts, read 353,877 times
Default Silver Spring covers a large area

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthasan614 View Post
I'm looking into relocatin to the silver spring area in march 2010. I know areas change quickly. I have been down for a couple visits, and I plan to do another visit in oct maybe nov this year. I realize it will be colder and alot of action slows down in the winter time. I can deal with some things because Ohio is not the best when it comes to that. I just need to make sure my family is safe where ever we are....
I am a single mom of a 2 girls ages 12 and 9yr s old. I plan to rent the first year and buy after I get a feel for the area. I have done a lot of research which I know gives a really board view. So I was just wondering is there an area in silver spring thats safer than others...Also where are the suburbs located at in silver spring?
Well Silver Spring covers a very large geographic area and is more urban the closer you get to DC--think downtown Silver Spring and more rural/suburban when you get out to the border with Burtonsville.

Thinking about safety/family concerns, I would say the Colesville area, Cloverly (bordering Burtonsville) as well parts of Fairland are pretty safe. Some areas of Kensington are in Silver Spring and family friendly as well.

Downtown Silver Spring as well as center Wheaton are going to feel very urban especially since they have the Metro red line running right through them.

Overall consider concentrating on Northern Silver Spring which is more suburban and family oriented.

Silver Spring: Silver Spring, Maryland's Official Website!

Montgomery County Crime Reports: MC Department of Police: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act

C.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 14,591 times
Default Just left Silver Spring...

Hi,

I would agree that northern SS is probably safer. We lived in a suburb of downtown SS and were miserable (crime, noise). I cannot recommend the Linden area.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
339 posts, read 935,647 times
I'm assuming that you have a job lined up in Silver Spring ? With that said we live in Kensington South of Plyers Mill Rd and love the area. But we are military and moved in the area knowing that its a temporary area for us and we don't have school age kids yet.

If we were going to live here long term though we would have sacrificed the short commute my wife has now to Bethesda and chose to live in "Olney". Its a great family oriented area and wouldn't be a bad commute to Silver Spring.

The Schools are great there , lots of green space and recreation for kids. I'd say definitely check it out when you come to town. Google map it but its straight up(North) Georgia Ave from Silver Spring.

I don't know what your housing budget is ,but a townhouse or large condo should be in reach for you I hope. Single family detached homes are very expensive to rent or buy. We found a good Realtor ahead of searching for a home to rent and made an appointment to have him show us homes. It was a big time saver and they do alot of the leg work for you.

Just a suggestion hope it helps and good luck with your search.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 AM

34 posts, read 63,442 times
Lots of mexicans

Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
339 posts, read 935,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindahneeoshnhawn View Post
Lots of mexicans
Please disregard this post and it would be nice if the moderator could delete it as well.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,526 times
Thanks for all of the info...

Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

516 posts, read 836,929 times
Hey!! Welcome to MD from the Midwest! My family moved here from Indiana over three years ago..

Things to consider, since you are from Ohio.. the winters are completely different. There's hardly any snow, and when there is snow things shut down. You'll be amazed I'm sure the first "snow" we get.. compared to the midwest. 3 inches of snow is basically the same as the midwest's 12 inches.. people flip!

If you are okay with commuting, what about Germantown? It's a nice place.. smaller than SS with a lot of great ammentities.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM

885 posts, read 1,698,554 times
What part of Ohio are you coming from? The cost to live is considerably higher but there are so many things here to do. As far as Silver Spring goes look into zip 20905 and 20906 if you want suburbia. Closer to the city is 20910 but you need to be right next to Bethesda or the DC border there are some good pockets there. A lot of traffic though.

This area is very different from Ohio but as long as you are friendly and open you will be fine.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,922 times
silver spring is a nice area..obviously, like any other city, there's some bad parts. I would tell you to stay away from the briggs cheney area...i think it'd be considered south silver spring. If you want to be in that side...try to find something in burtonsville (I don't think they have apt complexes tho). Also, stay AWAY from white oak to the apartments on tech road. The high rise buildings in white oak are very tempting but they're infested with roaches. The apartments on tech road are not good either...shootings are nothing unusual. Stay out out out of langley and takoma park...there's crime there, not a place to raise kids.
Sorry I just told you a bunch of places that aren't too great but the overall area is good....monetgomery county schools are amazing...they have great programs. Wheton/kensington and olney would be ideal places for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland