Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 143,942 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional that just accepted a job in Suitland at the federal center. I've lived in the deep south for the past two years, so this will be a move halfway across the country for me. But I grew up in the eastern panhandle of WV, so I'm semi-familiar with the DC area (though not southern Maryland so much). As much as I've been wanting to get a job in the DC area, the cost of living is now seriously freaking me out. I also happen to own a horse. So in the next couple of weeks, I've got to find a place for me to live and for the horse to live. I'm hoping to keep the commute to a reasonable length (under an hour...a half hour would be better). Does anyone have any suggestions of towns I should look at that would be semi-rural with decent boarding options for the horse and affordable one-bedroom apartment options for me? I'm beginning to wonder if I can actually afford the DC area. The job will be a promotion, but I have a feeling it wont feel like one with the increased cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
Prince George's County has lower rent than most counties and some nice places to live; you would have access to a number of Metro Stations as well. What kind of barn are you looking for, English or Western? If you are looking for an affordable barn with few rules (with English and Western riders), check out Westbrook farm [URL="http://www.westbrookhorsefarm.com"]www.westbrookhorsefarm.com[/URL].

Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the link to the barn. Do you know if they have an indoor? With the inevitable long commute, I think I'm going to need to be at a place with an indoor if I have any hope of riding in the evening/winter time. Ugh, winter...not something I've had to deal with for a few years. I'm looking for a primarily english barn, although I'm not too picky as long as they take good care of the horses and the arena is isn't so crowded with lesson kids that you can't ride.

I know PG county has a bad reputation, what parts would be fairly safe?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
It's a shame your job is on that side of DC. You could have come back to the panhandle and have plenty of room for the horse if you worked in the western suburbs.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
It's a shame your job is on that side of DC. You could have come back to the panhandle and have plenty of room for the horse if you worked in the western suburbs.

I would love to move back to the Eastern Panhandle but the same thing that sent me away is preventing me from coming back--there are no jobs there! At least not in my field. Even if I got a job in NW DC, I wouldn't want a 2 hour commute every day to get there from WV.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyjen View Post
I would love to move back to the Eastern Panhandle but the same thing that sent me away is preventing me from coming back--there are no jobs there! At least not in my field. Even if I got a job in NW DC, I wouldn't want a 2 hour commute every day to get there from WV.
I've a friend who lives in Gaithersburg and commutes to Suitland every day. He's been doing it for many years and works at Census. I've another friend that lives in WV and commutes to NPR in DC everyday, 2 hours. You can live in upper MC and commute, but it will take you over an hour. Or you can look into southern MD or way out in Upper Marlboro, at least then you be on the same side of town.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Howard, Carroll, southern Prince Georges, and Anne Arundel Counties are horse country. Northern Calvert is to an extent, also.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyjen View Post
Yep, I understand. I don't think I could do the 2 hr commute either; that's what it is from my house, well the MARC train stop 1 mile from my house, into DC. It's quicker to drive as long as it's not a rush hour schedule. In 1988-90 when I commuted into Gaithersburg it only took about 45 min. There are several new Fed facilities which have been built here in the past 15 years though. And the ATF/Border Patrol Firearms training facility is expanding even more.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,033 times
i sent you a direct message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 PM

56 posts, read 154,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Howard, Carroll, southern Prince Georges, and Anne Arundel Counties are horse country. Northern Calvert is to an extent, also.
Agreed, southern AA is very much horse country. I'm looking out my window at a horse far as I type this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland