U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 16,505 times

Advertisements

I may be considering a new postion in Rockville and would like to find information regarding the following:

1. I do not drive and would like to know if public transportation is available and reliable?
2. Which areas should I consider living in and which are the safest and most "community oriented" for a single, 50 year old woman?
3. Can anyone provide information regarding private mental health services and support groups?
4. What salary range should I be looking for to live comfortably in the area? While I am not "looking to get rich quick", I do want to be sure that the salary I would receive would meet local living costs?
5. What ways would you recommend to develop a circle of friends etc.? I know it takes time to make friends, but I also don't want to isolate and not "reach out" to developing friends that are interested in similar things that I am.
6. Any recommendations that you could make based on your moving experiences. I will be moving from New England, but am unsure if I should hire a mover for my limited possessions or simple take what I need and replace the rest, for a lower cost?
7. What am I missing and should be considering
Thanks or any help you can offer!
angiejo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 AM

4 posts, read 33,885 times
I can answer couple questions. first.. there are public transportation such as buses and subway and some taxies. i thank buses are better but i recommand drive. cost of living is expansive i thank.. one bad apartment is about 1300 - up USD per month.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM

262 posts, read 1,880,042 times
Smile answers to your ??s

1)Good public transit - 4 metro stops (Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook, White Flint) plus the Metro Bus system, Montgomery County exclusive bus system, and Barwood (Mont. Co.) taxis that wait at metro stops. Metro stops running around midnight on weekdays.

2)If you are renting, try an upscale condo community like King Farm in North Rockville or something around White Flint (closer to shopping). If you are buying, go for Manor Country Club ($1M+), historic Rockville ($750K+), or Croydon Park ($400K+). There's really not much around for less than $400K and even these are older, smaller homes.

3)Try www.rockvillemd.gov for city and probably county services, as Rockville is the county seat.

4)If you want a nice rental unit, don't plan on having a car, and are looking to have a decent social life, you should be in the $45K and up range. If you're looking to own a place and have a car, you'll probably need to be at least at $80K, and that's a stretch.

5)Community events (I used to live in King Farm - they do BBQs, wine tastings, etc), or join a gym and actually sign up for the aerobics/sports classes they offer in addition to the base membership.

6)If you have a driver's license, bring everything - UHaul/Budget trucks are affordable and you can return them to the nearest location after your move. I'm sure you can hire moving help both in New England and locally.

7)Rockville is a very nice place to live. One of my favorites in the immediate DC metro area. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 16,505 times
Thanks. Very helpful and I appreciate it. I have found an apartment that is reasonable and I like in Germantown and now need to check that the bus service that they said is great would get me to my new job in Rockville...if I get it
thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland