U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 12,901 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in England and I may come and work to Silver Spring in the near future.

My questions include:

- Is the area around Silver Spring metrorail station nice, and safe enough to be able to walk back home by night while coming from downtown DC ?

- What taxes are applied to rented flats in the US ? Are there several levels of taxation like for the income tax (federal, state, county, town) ? Do you need to pay them monthly, annually or at any agreed frequency ?

-What about utility bills ? How much to plan for electricity in a flat with air conditionning ? gaz ? landline ? internet ? mobile phone ? cold and hot water ?

- Rent a flat: What charges to expect through an agency ? is there a security deposit to give ? how much ? what papers are needed ? Is there a legal minimal term ? Are there fully furnished, semi-furnished and unfurnished flats ? Is this legal to sublet a flat without the owner is aware of it ?

- Also, I'd like to find a club of volley-ball competition (am 37) and was wondering if there was one in the area.

Many thanks for any clue about any of the above !

Catherine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

25 posts, read 118,268 times
"Is the area around Silver Spring metrorail station nice, and safe enough to be able to walk back home by night while coming from downtown DC ?"

Pretty safe-its urban living and not squeaky clean, but you are unlikely to be the victim of serious crime. There is some unsocial panhandeling and silly teenagers. The town center is a pretty happening place fairly late at night.

- What taxes are applied to rented flats in the US ? Are there several levels of taxation like for the income tax (federal, state, county, town) ? Do you need to pay them monthly, annually or at any agreed frequency ?
I'm not sure how your question about tax relates to rental flats. There is both federal and state income tax-in MD the state also handles the county tax.

-What about utility bills ? How much to plan for electricity in a flat with air conditionning ? gaz ? landline ? internet ? mobile phone ? cold and hot water ?
Utilities (Gas, water, electric) are sometimes included. Else they could run $100-200/month, but it really depends. Landline Phone/Internet/Cable combo could be up $100 but it depends on what you need- I play 50 for phone and internet. Cell phone depends on use.

- Rent a flat: What charges to expect through an agency ? is there a security deposit to give ? how much ? what papers are needed ? Is there a legal minimal term ? Are there fully furnished, semi-furnished and unfurnished flats ? Is this legal to sublet a flat without the owner is aware of it ?

Security deposit is usually a months rent. Month to month rent is possible, or fixed term depending. In the case of being offered a year you should be offered a two year contract at the same price. Your landlord should have a license in Montogmory county, MD, though many won't. Furnished rentals are possible but not that common. You usually need permission to sublet.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM

165 posts, read 491,751 times
Default Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_b41 View Post
hi there,

i live in england and i may come and work to silver spring in the near future.

First thing--flats = apartment here. I've been to London and know you all refer to multi-family dwellings or attached rowhouses as flats, but i just wanted to point that out because you will see apartment when you are searching through listings and advertisements.

My questions include:

- is the area around silver spring metrorail station nice, and safe enough to be able to walk back home by night while coming from downtown dc ?

It is safe enough to walk home from the metro station--obviously if you maintain situational awareness and common sense you will be fine. I left downtown ss late on friday night after dinner and there were many folks walking to and from the station and up and down the streets.

- what taxes are applied to rented flats in the us ? Are there several levels of taxation like for the income tax (federal, state, county, town) ? Do you need to pay them monthly, annually or at any agreed frequency ?

As a renter you do not pay tax directly to the county/state. You are taxed indirectly through your rent--meaning that the owner of the building you live in pays taxes to the government and passes those costs on to you in the form of rent increases. Apartments generally increase rent between 3 and 5% between yearly leases.

-what about utility bills ? How much to plan for electricity in a flat with air conditionning ? Gaz ? Landline ? Internet ? Mobile phone ? Cold and hot water ?

This will vary widely depending on personal usage and the nature of the place you live. For a one bedroom apartment (600 s/f) $100 a month for electricity (no gas appliances) would not be unusual. Companies like verizon and comcast offer packages for internet/landline/cable and these can run between $60 and $100 depending on what services you get. Most apartments have water included--however those with natural gas for heat will charge separately for that but it's usually under $40.

- rent a flat: What charges to expect through an agency ? Is there a security deposit to give ? How much ? What papers are needed ? Is there a legal minimal term ? Are there fully furnished, semi-furnished and unfurnished flats ? Is this legal to sublet a flat without the owner is aware of it ?

It's usually against a rental agreement to sublet, however i know that it does occur. You should be able to find an apartment agency that does not charge a fee for listings--many get paid by the owners for referrals. To rent an apartment you fill out a rental application, pay an application fee $40 to $50 dollars and if approved have to pay a deposit--anywhere from $300 to one month's rent. They normally verify employment and check your credit report.
There are all types of rentals including furnished and un-furnished and most offer leases from 6 months to 2 years.

silver spring is in montgomery county--here is a link to the counties apartment rental guide: about the apartment rental guide

- also, i'd like to find a club of volley-ball competition (am 37) and was wondering if there was one in the area.

Here's a link to the ss website--check the recreation tab on the volleyball:
silver spring, maryland's official website!

Many thanks for any clue about any of the above !

Catherine.
c.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:44 AM

Hi Cheasare,

Thanks for your very useful answers. Weird that I received the e-mail notification for answers just now, Sept 6...

I cancelled my project to the US. I am French and will go back to France after my assignment in England terminates, in December.

I seriously think the quality of life is better in France. I pay much lower bills there as well.

Thanks anyway !

Catherine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland