Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:38 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for those that have experience crime is pg county but where are you guys living. I feel 100% safe in Upper Marlboro and if any one have doubts i would love for you to take a look at upper Marlboro you would fall in love the same way I did. If anyone on this post said they live in areas like capitol Heights,District heights,Bladensburg,Hyattsville,Landover areas they all life in the bad areas and you cannot trust their opinons. If you like let me know if you want to live in pg and I will show you some 100% safe areas in pg county just let me know. What people need to understand is that their are crimes everywhere. There are crimes in Tenn as well just like crimes in pg county but it depends upon where in pg county you live. If you are planning on moving to pg county move to areas such as Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Clinton,Brandywine,Fort Washington,Mitchellville,and Largo if you move to any other areas their might be crime their.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 AM

471 posts, read 1,829,721 times
Bowie is the safest city in the state of MD??? Who said that?! You gotta be kidding me! The trip to BWI from St. Mary's is brutual, but you want rural... Have you tried northern counties? Crofton's not a bad idea... Anything near hear going to BWI would be brutal, I would wish that commute on anyone.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM

I never said Bowies is the safest city in maryland. There are no safest place in the country. Crofton is nice but is getting expensive. I see Crofton and Bowie as the same thing because they are right by each other. Try to find a suburb area in Baltimore. There are nice areas in Baltimore try the Baltimore county

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
St marys most def... I have lived in both.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 11,628 times
Thumbs up Moving to Southern Maryland?

My husband & I, along with our 2 year old son and our 3 dogs, moved to the Lexington Park area last fall and have found it to be a nice area to raise a family. Very slow paced, small town feel, allot of Catholic churches to choose from...however, unless you are searching for a job in government contracting, you may be searching for quite a while. It seems that the residents of this area are very appreciative of their employment, which is a great thing to see, and hold onto their jobs FOREVER! Doesn't leave much room for newcomers to find employment in the civilian sector. I am an Insurance agent specializing in Business Insurance and have been searching for a job, in my career field, for the past 5 months! Granted, I won't drive to Waldorf (an hour away) for employment since I have to be available for my 2 year old if he gets ill and has to be picked up from daycare. As for the the people, they are so friendly, are very protective over their "Rural Preservation District" and are proud to still have that "small town feel". They generally despise the Waldorf area and points North (D.C / Baltimore). As much as they want to see their economy flourish..they are unwilling to compromise the family values that their ancestors have instilled in them. I am proud to say that we have chosen to build a home in Leonardtown (an even smaller town in Saint Mary's County) and put our "roots" down. The few times that we have ventured to Waldorf, we are sooooooo glad we didn't decide to live there and commute to Pax River. What a traffic mess it is up there and the general public are rude, to say the least. So, as a 'newby' to Saint Mary's County....let me say.... Come and raise your family here ! Good luck on your decision !

Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM

My husband and I are raising our son in Upper Marlboro Maryland and we love it here. Its very very very quiet and very diverse and I love to see kids of all race play together. I love the fact we are raising our son to see sucessful African Americans because in the media there are alot of negative image only about the black community and nothing positive. Blacks get talk down about been poor,lacking education but I am yet to hear on the news about poor whites or whites who ar elacking education I guess they donot exist. Its bashing like this that makes the African American kids grow up with low self esteem. In my opinion I think pg county give African American that we can do what the other race have been hiding from us as far as building wealth.

When you go to areas like Bowie,Upper Marlboro,Brandywine,Mitchellville,Accrokee,Largo,F ort Washington you see African Americans living like kings and queens and these are what we need to see in the media. Every where you go in these areas are million dollar homes why isnot this been know why are people only talking about the bad their are more good in Pg county then Bad. But I am yet to hear blacks are finally doing it.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 PM

62 posts, read 303,886 times
DON'T move to pg. county..high crime , bad schools.. ST.Mary's or the Waldorf area is way better then pg. county

Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 PM

In pg county have alot of safe areas where there are no to very low crimes. yes there are areas with crimes but its not the entire county. If people are going to say pg county have crime please mention its not the entire county.
pg county is one of the largest county in maryland so I know the entire county have crime.
PLEASE IF YOU FEEL PG COUNTY HAVE CRIME PLEASE ONLY MENTION THE AREAS WITH THE CRIME. MAJORITY OF PG IS PRETTY SAFE EXCEPT FOR CERTAIN AREAS.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:07 PM

22 posts, read 105,262 times
Default Well I'm just the opposite...

I am moving from St. Mary's county to Bowie. And as suggested: I am renting for a year to get to know the area.

For me, a single parent (only in that her father lives in Boston) The 1.5 hour (each way) commute into DC and back was horrible. Since you are married, perhaps atleast one of you will be employed in the area... Makes a BIG Difference. For me, No time to get involved in after school activities getting in around 6:30p. The area wasn't as 'inviting' and 'welcoming' and not as diverse as I prefer, but perhaps you may fare better.

I enjoyed the Safety, Education and Space, but there is a serious lack of amenities. (check greatschools.net for school reviews)

Wildewood might be appealing, but I agree that lexington park and leonardtown are good. You can definitely find great houses for a reasonable price....until people start funneling down from Waldorf.

Charles County is nice, but the houses are on the higher end and the hustle and bustle is definitely growing, but you could certainly move on the outskirts at atleast have those amenities accessible to you.

PG County Crime Map...put in the addresses you are looking at because its difficult to judge an entire city if crime is prevelant in only part of it but you be the judge and good luck!

Prince George's County - Police Department - Neighborhood Crime Mapping

Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 AM

471 posts, read 1,829,721 times
mekka i feel your pain. I am in the same situtatuon except my commute is from the north going south. I bought a beutiful SFH in Harford county as a single parent, but the one upside making me stay is the schools are great. I mean a HUGE difference. The parents are so involved with the kids, it really made a difference on me staying. My son has ADHD and it was a struggle for him and me in PG. Before I move back to expensive PG I will move out of the state... I don't think i can go back to the same BS I dealt with in that school system (especially being pregnant again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland