U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,515 times
Unhappy PG vs. St. Mary's county

My husband and I are moving to MD soon. We currently live in a small, rural town in TN. We would like to continue this life style, but need to be realistic about the situation. As I read thru all of the posts about PG, I am very concerned about moving to the area. We have considered renting in Bowie or Upper Marlboro, but after reading some posts, I am not sure about the Upper Marlboro area.

Can someone please clarify and be specific about the cities within PG? My husband will be working at Eagle Harbor and I am considering employment in Bowie. We would like to live somewhere in the middle for an easy commute. I have read an article written last year that Bowie is the safest city in the state of MD. Is this true? Is it safe to assume that most of the crime is specific to other areas (north) of the county? We don't have any children, so schools aren't an issue.

We have also considered renting in Waldorf and Mechanicsville. We have visited the area and Mechanicsville seems most like home. What does anyone have to say about California, MD? That area has crossed our minds as well. Its just so far from BWI. We are open to any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,840 times
I'd move to St. Mary's cty, for safety.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,263 times
I've lived Bowie for two years. I'm not sure who's saying Bowie is the safest city in Maryland cause it's not; car thefts, robberies and breaking and enterings are not uncommon. It might however be the safest city in PG county. A good rule of thumb for PG county is; the further from DC you get the safer you are. My wife and I are looking to move and we will never live in PG county again. Beyond just the safety, this county lacks a sence of community and the people aren't very nice.

St Mary's and Calvert counties are nice but growing faster than the roads. If I were looking in this area I would suggest Crofton. It's just north of Bowie in Anne Arundel County. It's a little more money than Bowie but it's a nicer area.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,289,347 times
I'm not familiar with the other counties, but I second the Crofton (Anne Arundel county) suggestion. Close to Bowie, but a world away.

Search this forum because someone once posted safe (comparatively speaking) areas of Bowie by street name and section.

Quite frankly, I've always wondered what went wrong with Bowie. I mean there are beautiful homes and neighborhoods, it sure isn't cheap, Six Flags is nearby, Allen Pond is a beautiful park, and there's Metro. Just seems like it could/should be a great place to live.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 10,515 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the info

I appreciate the replies. This information is very useful. We are in Bowie at this very moment and about to check into Upper Malboro townhomes. However, I am trying to convince my husband not to buy, just rent. I am hoping to convince him to look into St. Mary's county now.

Please continue with the advice. Confusion and indecision still remains. Our waitress at Applebee's said she loves it here in Bowie. She explained that she had moved away, but had to return. So...what will be the convincing factor for us? I don't know. We just need more info.

I still need more info about the California area. That is a bit far south, but if I can get away from the "city" atmosphere, that is what we must do.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,293,318 times
Please do rent! It is so hard to buy a house if you are just there on visits, and pick the right place. Believe me, I know from experience. I would rent for a year and look around long and hard to see what area suits you the best. I think the prices will stay the same or drop further, due to all the foreclosures.
Best of luck to you!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM

175 posts, read 520,958 times
Default Here's a great answer to PG county

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2MD View Post
My husband and I are moving to MD soon. We currently live in a small, rural town in TN. We would like to continue this life style, but need to be realistic about the situation. As I read thru all of the posts about PG, I am very concerned about moving to the area. We have considered renting in Bowie or Upper Marlboro, but after reading some posts, I am not sure about the Upper Marlboro area.

Can someone please clarify and be specific about the cities within PG? My husband will be working at Eagle Harbor and I am considering employment in Bowie. We would like to live somewhere in the middle for an easy commute. I have read an article written last year that Bowie is the safest city in the state of MD. Is this true? Is it safe to assume that most of the crime is specific to other areas (north) of the county? We don't have any children, so schools aren't an issue.

We have also considered renting in Waldorf and Mechanicsville. We have visited the area and Mechanicsville seems most like home. What does anyone have to say about California, MD? That area has crossed our minds as well. Its just so far from BWI. We are open to any suggestions?

Well, I think there is a lot of overly adverse PG bashing. I'm sure i'm one of the main culprits, but however i'll give you a more realistic idea of PG. There are a number of highly crime ridden areas in PG county the names of those areas are as follows; I'll break them down like we do with the color code for terror, so these first areas are definitely code RED!!

Code Red (Very dangerous high crime areas violent crime is high in these areas)

Inhabitants - Poor

Beltway - Inside of the Beltway (close proximatey to the district of columbia (DC) - usually within 1-10 miles of the district line

Age - typically younger single mother families

Ethnic Background - Mostly Black, some White, some Asian, some Hispanic

Read Washington Post reports that more than 90-95% of all crime in PG happens in these areas

-Large Apartment Complexes (typically section 8 residents or working poor)

Landover Hills Palmer Park Riverdale
Landover Suitland
Cheverly Seat Pleasent
District Heights Glenarden
Camp Springs Langley Park
Oxon Hill New Carrolton
Kentland Capital Heights
Blandensburg Fairmont Heights
Temple Hills Walker Mill

Code Orange (which are dangerous in terms of high car theft drug activity, but and occasional violent crimes)

Inhabitants - Poor, working poor, and lower middle class

Beltway - Inside of the Beltway (close proximatey to the district of columbia (DC) - usually within 1-10 miles of the district line

Age - typically younger single mother families and younger two family house holds

-Large Apartment Complexes (typically section 8 residents or working poor as well as middle class)

- some housing crime still prevelent, but not as bad in the afermentioned areas. Mostly car thefts and robberies.

Fort Washington (part close to DC)
Marlow Heights
Glassmanor
Friendly
Ardmore
Hyattsville
Largo
Kettering

Code Yellow (which are not really dangerous, but i wouldn't leave home without mase if you know what i mean)

Inhabitants - lower middle class and middle class

Beltway - Outside of the Beltway ( proximatey to the district of columbia (DC) - usually within 15- 20 miles of the district line

Age - typically younger single mother families and younger two family house holds

-Mostly single family homes (typically starter family homes to 3000 sq foot homes

- some crime like grafetti and teenager based crimes, but not many if any seriously violent crimes.

Laruel Lewisdale
Greenbelt Brentwood
Beltsville Bowie
Adelphi
College Park
Calverton
Andrews Air Force Base
Clinton
Lahnam

Code Blue (which are not dangerous, but every blue moon something happens, but usually more often than not these are extremely safe places.)

Inhabitants - middle class, upper middle class, and rich

Beltway - Outside of the Beltway ( proximatey to the district of columbia (DC) - usually within 25-30 miles of the district line

Age - typically two family house holds well educated college degrees

Ethnic Background - Mostly Black and some White

Median Income in the range of 80k-130k

-Mostly large single family homes (typically homes 4000 - 8000 sq foot homes)

Mitcheville median income $97,000 75% blk 12% wht
Brandywine median income $64,000 38% blk 56% wht
Upper Marlboro median income $60,000 45% blk 40% wht
Glen Dale median income $?????????????????????????????/??
Fort Washington (part on the potomac river) ??????????????
Accockeek median income $91,000 50% blk 40% wht
Lake Arbor median income $85,000 88% blk 6% wht
Woodmore (gated community) median income $112,000 65% blk 28% wht

Okay, i think many residents will feel i've given a fair and balanced overall representation of the majority of the county and areas. I think this should help you in your search. Well, there are a lot of places in PG that are deplorable and if you paid me a kings ransom i wouldn't live there, there are a few neighborhoods, that rival, that of many of the other upscale areas in the DC Metro. Considering you do not have kids the sucky PG school system will not be a factor. However, if you cannot afford to live in the luxuyr areas i'd highly advise settling in another county where the prices are cheaper and the crime is less. Remember the cheaper the house in PG the more the crime!!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 AM

386 posts, read 1,174,470 times
have you tried Calvert County? That's closer than St. Mary's

Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 AM

276 posts, read 840,554 times
I found nothing at all appealing about California, MD. Nearby Lexington Park and Hollywood, equally as unappealing. Since you're from Tennessee, Mechanicsville, I think you would like. Also Hughesville and Charlotte Hall.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2MD View Post

What ever you do dont go anywhere near Pg. I moved from there almost 4 years ago. Have no ideal why I stayed so long. Am living in calvert area, but try to stay away from white sand which is were am at now. Most homes arent the best an the ones that are they look bad aslo if others dont take care of their homes. Am lucky I live on a nice block. Take a hard look around cuss there are some really nice places in calvert area. I wish I could move but husband just not ready to leave. Jobs arent the best either unless you have skills an know someone to get in. I have a good resume with office skills but cant get a job that wants to pay me to get out of bed for. Am not one to travel for work so I have a p/t job for right now, am looking for something else. Its almost like you need to know someone in order to get a job, or a good paying job.
Like I said look hard in the areas you go to. Best time is on weekend an now the summer months are here you will have more of a chance in seeing what a area is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland