Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:07 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times

Advertisements

Here are some tidbits:

Educationally speaking, Montgomery and Prince George's counties are a world apart. But when it comes to hurdling Maryland's ever-rising bar for academic achievement, the two school systems have one thing in common: They tripped up this year.

In Prince George's, educators were set back two years in their quest to escape the state's "corrective action" watch list.

Meanwhile, the Baltimore school system, long considered the worst in Maryland, was removed from the watch list after showing two consecutive years of "adequate yearly progress," as it is called in education circles. That leaves Prince George's as the state's only system in corrective action, a blow to local leaders who had hoped the county would be able to shake the label this year.

Thomas, the Prince George's board member, said she isn't interested in excuses. She said the board needs to focus more on academic achievement.

"If you listen to our meetings, rarely do we talk about academics," Thomas said. "I'm just so depressed with the fact that we don't hear anything about education. . . . There's not really the kind of aggression toward that, making sure we have high standards in each classroom. . . . That's the most important thing."

washingtonpost.com

Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 94,547 times
Okay look this is what annoys me. I am a product of both the Mont. and PG public school system. I started going to HS in Kensington, in Mont Co. Then I moved and ended up graduating from a PG high school.
THE PG HIGH SCHOOL HELPED ME MORE THAN THE MONT. CO EVER HELPED ME.

Yes the curriculum is a lot slower in PG. What I was learning in Mont. Co- the teachers were not even trying to teach the PG children---they simply do not have as much faith in the PG students as they do Mont.

But I have to say I still prefer PG. Why? Mont. just pushed a GED form in my mom's face and they did not care if I graduated or not. PG actually helped graduate and had the appropriate smaller classes for me- I have a learning disability so I wasn't getting any positive results from the Mont Co.

All Mont Co cares about are those honor roll students-it's really pathetic when you can clearly tell that they do NOT help the students that are truly struggling.

I prefer PG all around.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland