Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
And to DCnative.. that's fine for you, but if you are from a nice neighborhood growing up, MoCo can be a very dangerous place. Rather than say "oh it's not as bad as blahblahblah" how about saying, what can we do to improve it so it's as nice as "blahblahblah"
I grew up in Potomac. Gaithersburg is perfectly safe. No one in my family sweats that my 96 yr. old great aunt lives there, and my husband survived two whole years living in an apartment in G-burg.

For the entire month of October, 17 crimes have been reported in Gaithersburg (The City of Gaithersburg). These include non-violent incidents like someone drunkenly driving his car into a building and a theft from an unlocked car in an unlocked garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
For the entire month of October, 17 crimes have been reported in Gaithersburg (The City of Gaithersburg). These include non-violent incidents like someone drunkenly driving his car into a building and a theft from an unlocked car in an unlocked garage.
Strong arm robbery right bon my street. Interesting. I still think we're safe enough, but interesting.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM

516 posts, read 1,375,869 times
Quote:
I grew up in Potomac. Gaithersburg is perfectly safe. No one in my family sweats that my 96 yr. old great aunt lives there, and my husband survived two whole years living in an apartment in G-burg.

I could be wrong, but I think that doesn't include Montgomery Village, correct?

Yeah I'm not denying there are safe places in MoCoat all, but compared to where I'm from (very small town in Indiana) there have been times I've felt less than comfortable..

Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Hmm, your post made me do some research. Parts of Montgomery Village may not be within the limits of Montgomery County. According to the City of G-burg's website, one is to call the Office of Planning to find out if a particular address is within their jurisdiction. I'll pass on that one. So, I'll take a look at Montgomery County's crime rather than Gaithersburg's crime just for the sake of comparison.

As for overall crime . . . it's quite possible that MoCo is more dangerous than your hometown in IN. However, in 2008 there were 2085 violent crimes (crime stats: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...crimestats.pdf) and 950,680 residents, which amounts to about 219 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Such a violent crime rate is lower than the rate of Virginia Beach, which was ranked the safest U.S. city of 2008 with a rate of 224 violent crimes per 100,000 citizens (http://www.citymayors.com/society/uscities_safest.html). If you compare MoCo to cities with populations over 900k, its crime rate is astoundingly low.

Now, if you prefer a rural or exurban setting, that's fine. But I find expectations unreasonable if folks want to live in a county of nearly one million people within 20 miles of a major U.S. city and need for it to be significantly safer than Montgomery.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Really? Parts of Montgomery Village aren't within Montgomery County? What county would they be in then? I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Perhaps it just *seems* unsafe, with all the unsavory characters wandering around all the time... and the amount of alcohol use I see out in the open, etc.

Notice though, that crime has increased 5 percent for harder crimes like murder and rape. I'm not sure about 2008, but in 2007 the stats didn't include Takohoma Park, which I find interesting.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Montgomery Village does fall within Montgomery County; that's a typo on my part. I'm unsure of whether it falls within Gaithersburg, however.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM

After thinking about it, I honestly think it's completely dependant on whether or not you live in a good neighborhood, or a bad one. And sadly, it seems that if a neighborhood is bad, it's "BAD" not just a couple of robberies here and there.

I think that's the biggest difference between here and other parts of the country.. you have such a big difference between the good areas and the bad.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Montgomery Village does fall within Montgomery County; that's a typo on my part. I'm unsure of whether it falls within Gaithersburg, however.
None of Montgomery Village is within the city limits of Gaithersburg, despite what the Post Office might make people think.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
One of my old bosses had a laptop stolen from his car in his toney neighborhood in Gaithersburg. I think crime in MD as a whole will become worse as every Tom, Dick and Harry from hard-hit states comes to our state looking for employment. I have noticed lots more drifters begging for money on the streets in the "affluent" suburb where I work. I mean like 200% more. Petty crime in all areas has increased, and I don't see that getting better as people who commit small crimes begin to think that they can get away with it, and there are lots of targets in our "wealthy" state. Thanks a lot CNN grrr

I want to tell people to pls stop moving here in DROVES, but I won't go into that subject. No matter where you live, make sure you make security a priority. In a city, you can get mugged. In the suburbs you can be the victim of a "home invasion," and in the country you can be assaulted and killed and nobody will be around to hear your screams. Okay.

Don't be a victim, make sure that your surroundings are safe no matter where you live.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 94,565 times
it's okay but Gaith and Germantown is getting a little crappy these days. I guess it depends on where you are-because there are good and bad parts everywhere but I don't like those cities at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland